Send Topic Print
Rev problem (Read 173 times)
UglyandBuffalo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rev problem
05/18/08 at 13:24:54

Hi People,just on the net looking for bits for My girlfriends Savage when i came across the site(wish we had found it sooner)
Can anyone help us with this, the bike starts up and runs great until you hit a certain amount of revs (will do 55mph in top gear) once you reach this it starts coughing, misfiring and cutting out, once you back of the revs its ok again, i have checked out all the electrics from the plug gap backwards and all is ok, have been told it may be the ignitor/cdi unit, we took the carb apart the jets are ok but the slider looks worn, could this be the problem?
We would much appreciate any help/advice as i didnt want to spend lots of money on something i wasnt sure about
Thanks Sad

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Rev problem
Reply #1 - 05/18/08 at 13:58:01

Try running in prime and see if the problem goes away.

If it does, then you have a petcock problem.  Check for fuel in the vac line and replace it anyway.  You might pull the petcock and disassemble.  Make sure the screen is clear.  when you pulled the carb did you pull out the needle seat?  there's a screen in there, make sure it's clean too.

WWW   IP Logged
UglyandBuffalo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/18/08 at 14:19:26

Yeh thanks for that matey, i did try it on prime but no difference, i took the air filter out as well but still no difference, will check again
Thanks Wink

IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #3 - 05/18/08 at 14:24:57

could also check the vacuum line from the petcock to the carb. make sure it doesnt have any gas in it, and it has a good seal at both ends.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
UglyandBuffalo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/19/08 at 14:51:38

Will do and thanks for the help Wink

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #5 - 05/19/08 at 16:31:28

I just had that exact same problem. I replaced the vac. line and problem was solved.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 05/19/08 at 17:57:23

OK, what else is going on?
Tell us about your bike, mod's, mpg (or is it kmpg?) noises, etc.

WWW   IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #7 - 05/19/08 at 19:46:53

Could the main jet be partially clogged, since it seems to be that the almost to wide open throttle is the problem area.  Has there been carb and muffler modifications that should/did have main jet changes--or back again? Good luck - Smiley  And the vac lines seems a simple place to start as sugggested by YonyhAdisi.

IP Logged
SuziQ

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oshawa, Ontario Canada
Reply #8 - 05/20/08 at 06:08:52

Hello Ugly,

I have an S40 (2008) ordered and it is being preped by the dealer I hope as I write.  So, I am not familiar with some of the peculiarties of this single cylinder motorcyle but I thought I would mention that on my Honda VFR I once experienced a similar concern.  the VFR doesn't have a vented fuel filler cap but uses a length of rubber tubing to vent the fuel tank to atmospheric pressure.  After a long winters strorage here in Southern Ontario, spiders decided to take up residence in this hose completely closing it off to the outside air.  It took me quite some time to discover this but it turned out to be a pretty simple fix.  In one of the above posts to you someone mentioned a petcock, whatever and a hose from it being blocked with fuel.  Not sure exactly what this is but presume it is a vacuum controlled fuel on-off valve.

SuzuiQ

IP Logged
UglyandBuffalo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 05/27/08 at 13:58:49

sorry for late reply and thanks for your help the bike has had another muffler put on but always ran fine when we first bought it the vac lines look clear but will double check, the bike was new at first registration in 2002 but is stamped MFD 1999, the bike is mph and sounds ok until you reach the higher revs thens coughs splutters and cuts out thanks once you ease3 off it runs fine again for the advice once again

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 05/27/08 at 14:20:06

I'd replace the spark plug and clean the carb.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 08:32:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rev problem

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.