Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
oil filter cover exploded...seriously (Read 1003 times)
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

oil filter cover exploded...seriously
05/17/08 at 23:18:10

Had too much oil in it, so i drained it and refilled to spec. Started her up...in less than 10 seconds "POP" and oil comes pouring out of a gaping hole in the oil filter cover. WTF!? I'm about to part this MFer out.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: oil filter cover exploded...seriously
Reply #1 - 05/17/08 at 23:39:35

This problem rarely occurs, but it does.  The aluminum covers are know to have pores.  Corrosion weakens the metal.  If you need it, I have a spare cover but it needs polishing.

WWW   IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/18/08 at 00:01:36

10 minutes of profuse swearing and i went right online to a- make this post b - hit up bike bandit. $40 later this SOB better be running by Friday or you can all have a shot at parts. I understand its an older bike but for christs sake. What if I were on the road as opposed to in my driveway? I'd driven right through the oil puddle and probably be dead. The next bike I own is going to be built from absolute scratch by ME. I will not trust profit minded companies to cut any corner what so ever. Pores in the aluminum? Should've used steel. Now i seriously have to consider tearing the bike down to every single individual part to make sure something else isnt going to blow up, catch fire, fall apart, or disintegrate.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #3 - 05/18/08 at 05:22:34

One other here had that happen a couple years ago -  don't remember who it was - they had some good pictures of it - pop'd a hole about the size of a quater - maybe a faulty casting or it had been step'd on - pretty rare event.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/18/08 at 10:34:53

mine was MUCH larger than quarter. its about 1/2 of a large semi circle. Almost like it was cut. Larger than a silver sollar even.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 05/18/08 at 11:24:14

Reelthing wrote on 05/18/08 at 05:22:34:
One other here had that happen a couple years ago -  don't remember who it was - they had some good pictures of it - pop'd a hole about the size of a quater - maybe a faulty casting or it had been step'd on - pretty rare event.  

I remember that too, it was bigger than a quarter, maybe silver dollar size like Burnie says.

WWW   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #6 - 05/18/08 at 19:43:47

for sure may have been that big - looking for the picture - haven't found it yet

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/18/08 at 21:41:58

i was just geussing off the top of my head to the size as I was still livid upon posting. Since we're going with "change" as a measurement  the crack/hole is about 3-3.5 quarters in length, 1.5-2 quarters tall, 1/2 quarter in depth (as in the metal is sticking out from "flush" about 1/3 in)  and its actually closer to 3/4 of such an eliptical shape. I dont have a digi camera but I'll borrow one when I can. No promise on pic quality. The last time i took a picture was years ago with a disposable film camera. I've looked at friends cameras. So many buttons....

Anyway, someone please reassure me i didnt "shed a tear for Ireland" to the tune of $1600 (now $1750) for nothing. the cam chain tensioner deal I expected but this....worries me a bit.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 05/18/08 at 23:33:50

were there any marks on the cover prior to it's demise?

I wondering wheather it's a corrosion induced fatigue failure or if it was stuck in any way.

WWW   IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 05/18/08 at 23:53:24

no marks. the hole really almost looks like it were cut. Its a pretty clean break.

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #10 - 05/19/08 at 04:57:25

You said earlier that the crank case "had too much oil in it".
Running too much oil in the engine can be just as damaging as running too little.  The biggest problem is an increase in fluid pressure, due to volume.  

Now, look at your oil filter cover.  It is a made from cast aluminum.  Light, relatively strong, but not all that reslient.   The filter is directly below the cover, under contstant spring tension (to hold it in place).  The pressure placed on the filter cover is magnified when the engine is started and the oil pump begins to pump pressurized oil through the perimeter of the oil filter, then drawing it through the filter media and back through the center of the filter.

I don't know how long you rode around with the crankcase overfilled, but that and the fact that your 'new' bike is over 13 years old are both contributing factors to the failure.

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #11 - 05/19/08 at 07:12:35

" high oil pressure is usually caused by a engine oil too heavy in weight,a clogged oil passage,improper installayion of yhe oil filter or a combination of these items"
spec pressure 7.1 psi > 10.7psi

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 05/19/08 at 11:01:07

200 ml too much for less than 10 mi. My clymers says 2 quarts for an oil change so i put in 2 quarts. Rode around a bit, I pull in the driveway and there a bit of smoke. It was obviously burning oil so I checked. A tab bit over the full line and I then notice stamped into the side cover is 1800ml. I drain it, funnel the oil from the drain pan back into quart bottles so I can use the oz/ml measurements on the side and pour back in 1600ml. Start it up for a few, no smoke, turn it off let the oil settle and checked the oil level. Perfectly between the two oil level marks. I then had to go to work and it had started raining pretty nicely as I was draining/refilling with oil so I took the car. I get home. While my freinds putting a new headlight on his nighthawk I start up my bike....POP, oil gushing out. Oil weight 10-40

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 05/19/08 at 11:33:19

The oil level may have been a contributing factor, as Skrappy said, but, considering the low oil pressure the bike runs, I dont see how 200 ml overfilled would create such a problem alone. The casting was surely not up to snuff. IMO, based on no real experience, one of the biggest problems high iol levels can cause, would be foaming it up if it is high enough to get into the crank path, pounding the oil & making little bubbles,decreasing the oil flow to the top end.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #14 - 05/20/08 at 06:41:34

I've wondered a couple of times if any of these instances might be caused by an oil filter installed backward.  Just a thought.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 08:31:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › oil filter cover exploded...seriously

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.