Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
oil filter cover exploded...seriously (Read 1003 times)
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: oil filter cover exploded...seriously
Reply #15 - 05/20/08 at 08:31:16

Don't think the oil pressure is a problem.  There is a bypass valve there and it's a low pressure engine.  

Probably a flaw or like Rob said damage from a previous OOPS.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #16 - 05/20/08 at 11:22:29

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 05/20/08 at 08:31:16:
Don't think the oil pressure is a problem.  There is a bypass valve there and it's a low pressure engine.  

Any body know what kind of oil pump we have?  Is the pressure relatively constant or does it pulse?

This failure is pretty rare or isn't reported here.  So we probably have several factors coming together that may be pretty rare.  Possibilities are corrosion, impact, fatique, damage, defect and heat.

The one prior to yours I recall now was hole about the size of the filter,  about 3/4 moon shape and the round towards the bottom.

My guess is that the failure is due to fatique.  But what are the contributing factors.  If it were corrosion, then there would be alot more of this.  If it were defect then the orientation will be random.  If the orientation is identical (and I think it is) then what's common between the two that not common amonst us all?  Was the PO someone that kicked the cover whenever he jumped on the bike?  Did they fall over on the bike trapping their foot between cover and ground?  Did the PO's polish the heck out of these covers?  These are all possibilities.  But for something that happens once in a several thousand bikes is it worth the effort?

Get a new cover and be safe out there.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #17 - 05/20/08 at 11:35:57

Savage_Rob wrote on 05/20/08 at 06:41:34:
I've wondered a couple of times if any of these instances might be caused by an oil filter installed backward.  Just a thought.

And once everything has gone "sproing!" it's a bit hard to confirm.

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
OU812
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 05/20/08 at 14:54:43

This thread has me thinking as I don't have a Clymers or any other manual. What weight oil is recommended for the 650? Can we see a pic of said hole?

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #19 - 05/20/08 at 15:40:28

verslagen1 wrote on 05/20/08 at 11:22:29:
T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 05/20/08 at 08:31:16:

Any body know what kind of oil pump we have?  Is the pressure relatively constant or does it pulse?

This failure is pretty rare or isn't reported here.  So we probably have several factors coming together that may be pretty rare.  Possibilities are corrosion, impact, fatique, damage, defect and heat.

The one prior to yours I recall now was hole about the size of the filter,  about 3/4 moon shape and the round towards the bottom.

My guess is that the failure is due to fatique.  But what are the contributing factors.  If it were corrosion, then there would be alot more of this.  If it were defect then the orientation will be random.  If the orientation is identical (and I think it is) then what's common between the two that not common amonst us all?  Was the PO someone that kicked the cover whenever he jumped on the bike?  Did they fall over on the bike trapping their foot between cover and ground?  Did the PO's polish the heck out of these covers?  These are all possibilities.  But for something that happens once in a several thousand bikes is it worth the effort?

Get a new cover and be safe out there.   Grin
lancer posted some time ago the oil route from the ssm..
i installed a german oil temp guage(from hwy hawk)had a adaptor machined for the port that comes straight from the pump at the front of the right case...at highway speeds(specially in summer) the temp gauge pulses, not sure why,pressure variances or temp??
put my quarter in the inproper filter install box..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #20 - 05/20/08 at 17:35:45

Had my oil pump apart when I rebuilt the motor.   Pretty much looks like a auto oil pump (inside & out).

Here two pict's after I put the pump back together and mounted it in the case.

http://www.users.fast.net/~tommack/100_1952.JPG
http://www.users.fast.net/~tommack/100_1953.JPG

The pump is behind the 3 screws that mount the unit to the case.  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 05/23/08 at 12:10:28

I got pics of the hole from either side...now how in the world do I upload them? Got the new cover, intstalled turn signal/running light conversion kit, new headlight bulb, sprayed the front fender, side covers, and tank with rustoleum black epoxy spray. Turned out pretty well. All's well mechanically (finally).

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #22 - 05/23/08 at 13:28:44

You have upload them somewhere else (bikepics, savageriders, or your own ISP homepage) and link them here.

The attach button does not work.

Once it's uploaded, right click on photo, select properties, copy address, paste it in post, highlight it, click image button.

WWW   IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 05/23/08 at 14:32:18

Thar she blows.

IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Reply #24 - 10/19/08 at 07:34:53

It looks to me like the filter was backwards, and the filter bypass held the oil pressure back until the building pressure made it fail, so the oil burst the bypass valve and exploded the filter against the cover, and popped the aluminum, maybe starting in a weak spot in an older cover.

Jeez what kind of oil pressure in our engine at idle - I thought it was supposed to be low!

Thank you for posting a picture.

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #25 - 10/19/08 at 08:22:08

Pressure didn't kill the beast.  
It was the backwards filter.
Not enough pressure to pop a tissue.
Hmmm, could have been fatigue.
caused by fluctuating pressure, from an oil pump that's constantly gulping air, then oil then air then oil.
that'll do it.

WWW   IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #26 - 10/19/08 at 14:46:00

Oil pressure at idle is about 2-4 psi. Under normal operation, let's say  2,000-5,000 rpms it runs about 8-12 psi. On a cold morning at startup you might get 50 psi until the engine warms up.  None of those levels could cause failure by themselves. Would not even be enough to explode a soda can.

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #27 - 10/19/08 at 16:31:25

sure looks like the filter tried to break out....Wow!

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #28 - 10/19/08 at 19:04:52

[quote author=6651564A74434C240 link=1211091490/0#7 date=1211172118]. Since we're going with "change" as a measurement  the crack/hole is about 3-3.5 quarters in length, 1.5-2 quarters tall, 1/2 quarter in depth (as in the metal is sticking out from "flush" about 1/3 in)  and its actually closer to 3/4 of such an eliptical shape.
& about $40.00 deep.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #29 - 10/20/08 at 16:09:03

I looked at the filter and it has a steel reinforcing rib in it that could be constrained by the inside of the filter compartment and the exterior cover. If that is the case, there is a simple formula that can be used to calculate the thermal stress, assuming the compartment went from 70 degrees to 250 degrees as the oil heated up. The equation reduces to the thermal expansion coeff x the temp change x the youngs modulus of the steel. In short, the thermal stress would be 33,150 psi.

(6.5 x 10-6/oF) (250oF - 70oF)(30 x 106 lb/in2) = 33,150 lb/in2.

I checked the physical properties of cast aluminum and shear strength falls in the 20-34,000 psi range (if it is heat treated).  It's lower if the casting is not heat treated.  So, in theory, a constrained piece of steel heated from 70 to 250 degrees could cause enough stress to shear a piece of cast aluminum just like the pictures.

So the proposal that a backwards filter, wedged between the interior and exterior case walls could cause the problem seems feasible. The cause would be constrained thermal expansion, not pulsing. If you've ever seen what happens when a steel rod is wedged between two plates and heated up a couple hundred degrees you'd have an idea how quickly pressure can build up.

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 10:26:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › oil filter cover exploded...seriously

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.