Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Help please - broken header stud (Read 718 times)
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Help please - broken header stud
Reply #15 - 05/18/08 at 19:37:37

doubt that a duble crush gasket would work - can you post a picture of the situation? I'm not believeing it can't be drilled out

IP Logged
meck

Woonsocket, RI
Reply #16 - 05/18/08 at 19:55:28

http://flickr.com/photos/joshmathis/2504408562

It's a camera phone picture, but it's the best I have right now. I took this yesterday, before the welding adventure. I circled where the broken extractor piece is.

Can something like that really be drilled out? Won't the bit just skip off to the softer metal around it?

1988 LS650
  IP Logged
northshore_paul

Keep it
simple....less to
break!

South Louisiana
Reply #17 - 05/18/08 at 20:14:48

Meck, at this point since you are dealing with a hard piece of steel (the extractor) and trying to get a straight drilling job into the bolt so you can remove it without widening the hole too much (difficult without a drill press) or being off center, I would opt for a machine shop. Remove the head and bring it to an automotive machine shop that does this day in and day out. It may be a little more expensive than doing it yourself but why go out and get another used head and incur that expense. Remember if you remove the head to also replace those head bolts because they also can broken off with repeated loosening and tightening. And don't forget to use the antiseize for all the new bolts you put in, you'll thank yourself next time.  Sad

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #18 - 05/18/08 at 21:10:34

All you'll do with the doubled up gasket is decrease the thread engagement on the remaining side, not a good plan. Machine shop is a good plan at this point, you can remove the head w/o pulling the engine. Remove the head stay, the 2 long bolts that go through the front pegs and the upper rear engine bolt, loosen the lower rear one and the engine will tip down far enough to slide the head off the studs. with the cylinder intact. Worked for me and others before me. I also consider having anther welder take a crack at welding nut onto what is left of the stud, a talented welder can strike the arc on the stud and fill the nut and bond the whole works together on the way up and out. If concerned about the aluminum, use a piece of brass shim stock with a hole in it to shield the head/cylinder parts. I'd not consider it being new head time yet. Welder was wire feed or arc? Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
meck

Woonsocket, RI
Reply #19 - 05/19/08 at 04:13:17

Thanks for the help, everyone!

Max_Morley: My father-in-law, who's an old-school Cummins mechanic, strongly suggested I take it to a welding shop and find someone really good with a cutting torch who could blow out that bit. I don't really understand it, but he said it's something they should know how to do. I'll try to have them weld a new nut on first, though. We used a wire-feed when we tried it.

If that fails, I'll remove the head and get to a machine shop. If this needs to be re-tapped, what are the thread specs?

1988 LS650
  IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reply #20 - 05/19/08 at 04:27:43

I can see what your father-in-law is talking about, but it is going to take someone very skilled with the torch.  They have to be careful to not over cut into the aluminum of the head...

EDM is also another option.  When I did the same thing to the head on my GS850, EDM was suggested to me.  It works, but it ain't cheap...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_discharge_machining

I ended up using very small drill bits to drill on four sides of the broken tool steel.  It looks like you may have enough room to do this.  Then I managed to pry the tool steel out with a small punch.  I then took the head to a machine shop to have the head drilled and the threads cleaned up.

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #21 - 05/19/08 at 04:52:38

Couldn't you drill a lot of small holes around it get the tool out,then drill it out for a bigger easyout the bigger one would be stronger and might not break.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #22 - 05/19/08 at 06:38:23

« Last Edit: 06/26/08 at 04:50:48 by vroom1776 »  
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #23 - 05/19/08 at 08:41:22

Could see the pic, server down or some bs.

1st I would try to loosen the extractor by hitting it as close to sideways as possible from all four sides and see if you can pry it out.

If that don't work, I'd take to a pro.  At least you can yell at him if he screws up.   Shocked

You can drill hardened steel with carbide bits,  But it sounds as though you don't have the skill to do this.

WWW   IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reply #24 - 05/19/08 at 18:48:35

verslagen1 wrote on 05/19/08 at 08:41:22:
Could see the pic, server down or some bs.

1st I would try to loosen the extractor by hitting it as close to sideways as possible from all four sides and see if you can pry it out.

This is what I ended up doing with my GS.  I drilled it out and then ended up prying it out once I had enough metal removed to get it out.  I still had to have a helicoil put in to make everything work correctly.  It cost me about $50 to have everything done once I got the extractor out....

Anti-seize is your friend...

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
meck

Woonsocket, RI
Reply #25 - 05/20/08 at 18:03:34

I had a machinist friend come by and take a look. He didn't think it would be such a big deal to drill out, but after a couple hours he changed his mind. I'm going to take off the head and he's going to bring it in to the shop, drill it out, and put in a helicoil. I figure I've already put so much time into this that it's worth it.

I'm going to do the head plug fix while it's all apart... Northshore_Paul recommended replacing all the head bolts, so I guess I'll do that too. Is there anything else I should do while I'm in there? (This is a 1988 with 25K miles on it).

1988 LS650
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #26 - 05/20/08 at 18:15:15

cam chain and verslagen adjuster
check cylinder wear
check valves
open up exhaust port
install lancer cam
install lancer carb

WWW   IP Logged
meck

Woonsocket, RI
Reply #27 - 05/20/08 at 18:20:27

Grin That's quite a list - I was hoping to ride it again before August! I'm sure there are detail about that stuff in the Tech section, so I'll definitely read up on what's involved. Thanks again!

1988 LS650
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #28 - 05/21/08 at 08:25:10

Hey Mech, isn't this neat?  Stopped by the local Suzuki dealer, he said it would cost more than the bike was worth, referred me to a privateer who said it would cost  a lot, but couldn't schedule it for three weeks, and then it would be down for 3 more weeks while he takes it apart, the machine shop does it thing, and then he puts it back together.  Not looking good.  He (the privateeeer mech) has less than glowing things to say about sears easy outs..seems they break very easily. (now I hear this) Shocked

IP Logged
meck

Woonsocket, RI
Reply #29 - 05/21/08 at 08:33:02

Yeah, it's neat all right  Roll Eyes Sorry to hear about your troubles, too.

At least it's not beyond hope yet - free labor at the machine shop is a good thing.

Before I get to taking the head off, is there anything I should watch for? Losing the timing chain in the engine, etc? Before it gets drilled out, should I take any other precautions - remove some parts, secure others? I know it is designed to take vibration in that horizontal plane, but what about when it is turned 90 degrees on a press?

1988 LS650
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 20:25:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help please - broken header stud

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.