Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Help please - broken header stud (Read 718 times)
meck

Woonsocket, RI
Help please - broken header stud
05/17/08 at 05:22:03

Well, it didn't take long for me to run into a problem. One side of the header bracket was held on by a regular hex bolt, and the other side looked to be a stud with an acorn nut on it. The hex bolt came off just fine, but the other side was giving me trouble. I sprayed some Sea Foam penetrating oil in there and let it sit. Long story short, the stud snapped.

So I need some advice and information. The stud is broken almost flush, so there are no threads to put a nut on it. It's entirely possible that this thing hasn't been touched in 15 years, so I am wondering if a bolt extractor is even worth a try. Will I just break off the threads, or worse, break the extractor and then really be in trouble? I was thinking of just getting the specs on that stud, drilling out to exactly the right size, then re-tapping. Is there anything else I should try before that, or will I likely have to do it eventually anyway?

Can anyone provide me with the specs on that stud - size, depth & thread pitch and whatever else I might need to know?

On another note, I can't get the bottom nut off the forward heat shield - the stud just spins in the frame. How would one get that off?

1988 LS650
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Help please - broken header stud
Reply #1 - 05/17/08 at 05:54:27

The easy one first - the those bolts go all the way through the fame and engine out the other side under the foot peg - just need to hold the head - 12 mm I think

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #2 - 05/17/08 at 06:14:40

naw the second brain cell I have left just started to react to the coffee -those frame through bolt heads on the other side are a lot bigger than a 12mm - anyway after you get the heat shield off put the nuts back on the bolts unless your going to pull the engine

you know I've had to use several different type of bolt extracters, taps, and helicoils in my life - never my fault of course  Roll Eyes ya right

but if you have a sears store close to you the new designed craftsman extracters seems to work very well - they come in a 3 pack - different sizes - they have have the extracter on one end and the drill bit on the other - take it slow and I'll bet that bolt will come out of there

then throw it at who ever had it off last time and didn't put antiseize grease on the bolt before they screwed a steel bolt into a piece of aluminum that gets very hot - morons.

IP Logged
meck

Woonsocket, RI
Reply #3 - 05/17/08 at 06:31:36

Sounds promising, thanks. I have a Sears just up the road so I'll take a look this afternoon.

1988 LS650
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #4 - 05/17/08 at 09:40:27

Before you drill away what is left of the stud you might consider having a good welder weld a new nut on what is left. The heating and cooling from the welding often loosens the bond between the dis-similiar metals in the process. If it has been cross treaded you can probably still get it out, making  it easier to drill and heli-coil or =. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #5 - 05/17/08 at 09:41:55

« Last Edit: 06/26/08 at 04:51:34 by vroom1776 »  
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 05/17/08 at 10:37:02

Reelthing wrote on 05/17/08 at 05:54:27:
The easy one first - the those bolts go all the way through the fame and engine out the other side under the foot peg - just need to hold the head - 12 mm I think

They're 14mm

You can try the craftman screw extractor.

But I think the type you want to use is the drill a hole, pound in and turn type.

But it couldn't hurt to put a torche to it, then the standard tap at with a hammer and center punch to turn it out.

Most likely, the last idiot to put those in didn't use anti sieze.  And seeing that they replaced one bolt with a hex head type (the acorn nut one is stock) they have had an issue with it before.

WWW   IP Logged
meck

Woonsocket, RI
Reply #7 - 05/17/08 at 19:29:49

I got a set of the Craftsman screw extractors - the drill/pound type. The drilling went fine, but on the second tap the extractor broke. It's not like I really need two bolts on the header bracket, right??  Angry

1988 LS650
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #8 - 05/17/08 at 19:31:09

Hope you have better luck than I did, the extractor broke.  haven't had the time/money to get it fixed; and my neighbor sold his trailer so now I'll hve to rent a truck/or trailer and bring it round.  the only welder nearby said he would not feel comfortable welding on a bolt, an alignment issue.  At times. I do wish I lived a little closer to some shops.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #9 - 05/17/08 at 19:48:58

dang - are you able to get the extractor tip out of the hole?

hellofit is you really don't know what the guy did before - may have red locktite on it if it kept getting loose - if so it takes a good bit of heat
to break the red stuff loose -

IP Logged
meck

Woonsocket, RI
Reply #10 - 05/17/08 at 19:57:32

It broke off flush. I've read about taking a torch to it, letting it cool naturally then going at it with a carbide bit... there really isn't much of the extractor in there. I'm open to suggestions, especially ones that don't require me to pay someone or get a new engine.

1988 LS650
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #11 - 05/17/08 at 20:11:58

I'd likely use the map gas torch on it a couple time and start drilling

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #12 - 05/17/08 at 20:58:40

Meck, seeing the welding a nut on doesn't seem to be an option at this point. Then use the correct size extractor/easy out and drill the hole parallel to the other bolt, may want want to hand run it back in for a reference. It is OK to go all the way through with a smaller bit first as then you can get some penetrating oil working from the back side also. Patience is the key word. Don't go to big on the extractor, if you do all it does is spread the bolt threads tighter into the head threads.

Trippah, I've had some luck breaking a broken extractor into pieces to get it out. They are fairly hard and will break if you use a pin punch and hammer. Good luck guys, Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
viper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #13 - 05/18/08 at 05:49:38

Meck Is he extractor the square type witha slight taper? If so SnapOn tool has a tool that will go in the hole along side of the broken extractor slight press. turning in the clockwise direction will brake it loose. If the extractor is not broken or you are just getting started .
1 Put a bolt in the good side this will aid in drilling as stright as poss.
  line drill up with bolt to get correct ang. Start with small drill first.
2As said in above post drill all the way till drill go's into open section of stud hole.
3 Don't Heat till holes are drilled .
4 Use a good penatrating oil heat let cool repeat afew times go slow with even pressure  and good luck
If you have a broken extractor in the hole now rember to only try an rotate clockwise do not tap down on it it will only get tighter. You most lickly will not beable to drill it.

Ride on Ride safe
Viper

IP Logged
meck

Woonsocket, RI
Reply #14 - 05/18/08 at 19:11:23

I'm not sure I understand what you guys are talking about - drilling parallel to the other bolt, going along side the broken extractor - I just don't see what I'm supposed to do. Sorry if I'm missing something - I'm just a lowly software engineer, this mechanical stuff is like voodoo...  :'(

The stud for the header pipe broke off nearly flush with the head, so I tried a screw extractor which broke off in the hole I drilled. Today, we tried to weld on a nut, but couldn't get a strong enough weld. At this point, it seems like I'm in the market for a new head.

For now, the shade tree mechanics and I figure that it's not work putting a whole lot of time and money into it and risk completely messing up the head. We were going to try doubling up on new gaskets, sealing them in with high-temp rtv, bolting on the good side of the bracket with a nice hardened bolt, then sealing up the other side with exhaust putty. If it holds and the noise is tolerable, it should at least get me through until I find another head cheap. Does that sound at least passable, or have I suggested the unthinkable?

1988 LS650
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:19:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help please - broken header stud

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.