Send Topic Print
omnipotent carb? (Read 164 times)
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

omnipotent carb?
05/16/08 at 20:24:29

went ahead with lancers carb tuning guide which was as its titled; very straight forward. My results however, were not. From 0-4 turns out (yes, 0 turns. Couldnt turn it in any further) The bike ran well. Once I got to about 1 turn out it did slow a teeny tiny bit but it certainly didnt stumble or start to stall and it picked back up as I went past 1. As I turned out to 4 there was no noticeable difference from 1-4. At 4 I couldnt turn it out any further. Whats the deal? Until i can get it straight i decided to settle at 2 turns out. Purrs like a small mountain lion after a kill. The backfire on shutdown seems to have converted into a "pfoot" kind of fart but sometimes it did that anyway as opposed to "bang".

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: omnipotent carb?
Reply #1 - 05/16/08 at 20:34:57

Do you have a tach?
If the idle speed is too high, it'll make the idle circuit ineffective.
a pfoot in the back side is better than a bang

WWW   IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/16/08 at 21:02:55

no tach. I'll lower the idle speed and give it another go. By the way thanks again. I got a circlip at NADA. Amazing how much quieter the bike is, and smoother. Primo work you do.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 05/16/08 at 21:44:06

Thanks!   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/17/08 at 12:19:49

lowered revs. Had to rich it out half turn to get it to start and stay idling. Richening it more had no considerable effect so I turned it back to 2.5 . The pfoot/bang is now hit or miss as it was before. Will turn it out to 2.75 or 3 just to see how the backfiring turns out.
Took a half hour ride in between rain. Put a little too much oil (a mm above the full line) in it and when I got home it was smoking a wee bit. changed oil AGAIN and put a bit less in. Idled it for a while (20min +/-). No smoke. Figure smoke is from too much oil, running too hot or a combo?

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #5 - 05/17/08 at 12:30:41

If you idled for 20 minutes you can burn your pipes.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #6 - 05/18/08 at 09:03:38

I put in the larger pilot jet I got from Lancer about 3 weeks ago.   I was at almost 3 turns out on the stock jet and still had a back-fire.  

Well, I did the preset before startup at 1 turn out and it seemed to run fine.  Back-fire almost all gone.  So,  I didn't play with it.

Then,  first week I filled up before I hit resevre,  46 mpg.  hmmmm... it was only about a third of a tank on the new jet, maybe the smile factor had hit.     Then, this past week, I was riding home from work and knew I was getting close to hitting reserve.   I was waiting for the characteristic idle drop at a light to know it was getting low.  Well, the idle climbed.... WTF?  I switched over to reserve and got gas , 41  MPG ... WOW!!    Got home and played with the screw.  now it's only at just over 1/2 turn out.  
    So what happened,  normally a correctly tuned carb when the fuel shuts off (like when you need to switch to reserve)  the idle should drop a bit as the fuel bowel get to the "almost out" state.   When a carb is too rich,  when it gets to the "almost out" state, idle picks up because you are geeting to the "correct" mix.....

I haven't checked the spark plug yet,  that is the best way to check , but it just so tedious to get to.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
shadowman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Northern Virginia
Reply #7 - 05/19/08 at 15:08:08

I thought it was just me and my bike -- popped the brass plug last week and it was set at about 1/8 of a turn out.  Increased idle and went out almost three before the rpms dipped perceptibly.  Lowered the idle and put it at one turn out and it runs a little better, though still some slight belching.  Something tells me that now would be a good time to leave well enough alone.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 07:26:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › omnipotent carb?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.