Send Topic Print
Lowering power draw (Read 73 times)
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Lowering power draw
05/16/08 at 10:30:49

Here's what I'm planning on trying. I'm going to replace the filament bulbs that are on my trailer with LED's to lower their power draw. Then it's replace the stock 650 taillight with an LED as well. Then I would like to find out if I only replace the front running/signal bulbs with LED's will the stock flasher still work. I wouldn't mind a little bit faster or slower flash rate. Maybe even find an LED for the tag light.

Somewhere down the line I'm thinking a same output, lower draw headlight (is there such a beast?). I run on my high beam at night most of the time and get no complaints from oncoming traffic, probably because I'm still dimmer than all those guys with dual head lamps and bright running lamps.

I'm thinking if I save enough power I can then use the 12v outlet I installed to recharge the 'puter, the cell phone, run a GPS, charge a deep draw battery for night time use back at the campground, install a radio and/or CB . . . The bike is just the biggest toy after all, not the only toy.

Jack
-------------------------
By the way, that 12v outlet makes a fine way to jump start the bike. I made a cable with a 12v plug on one ent and spring clamps on the other.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: Lowering power draw
Reply #1 - 05/16/08 at 10:48:22

one word..... wattage.....

The flasher rate is dependant on the wattage.  
(sorry,  it's been a while, can't remember if lower wattage= faster flash or lower wattage = slower....  Huh  )

Other option is to replace the flasher with a fancy unit (solid state or relay based types) so that rate stays the same.    

Question,  do you know if they make the indicator lights in LED format yet???  Would be a tiny bit more in amp savings.....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 05/16/08 at 11:43:32

Take a bulb out and you'll find out.

It flashes faster.

They do make a flasher (oops) for LED lighting.  Search back and you'll find it.  Perhaps a year.

« Last Edit: 05/16/08 at 20:39:57 by verslagen1 »  
WWW   IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #3 - 05/16/08 at 20:30:29

I don't want to spend all that extra money for a new flasher. Need it for other toys don't ya know. I have seen two element LED lights. They're available for boat trailers and such. I'm not sure about getting them in a standard socket light bulb format though. I'm still in the planning stages for all of this.

I know if I start pulling the trailer for long hauls I'm going to need to have the amp draw low enough that I have a charged battery at the end of the trip. I'm considering an on/off switch for the trailer tail lights until I get them switched to LED's 'cause who needs them in the daytime?

Jack

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 05/16/08 at 20:42:58

LED Flasher was about $20 when I looked at it.

If you want to save all the electrons for your toys, the stock flasher eats them big time.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 08:23:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Lowering power draw

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.