Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A new source for aftermarket mufflers? (Read 89 times)
saratovich

A new source for aftermarket mufflers?
05/16/08 at 08:55:55

I saw a guy pull into the parking lot at work on a KLR 650. It sounded amazing . . . deep, throaty but not harsh.

Upon examination, it was sporting an FMF muffler . . . the gears in my head started to turn.

Some quick googling and found that the MX aftermarket might be an option for modding the exhaust on the Savage. There were tons of them on ebay too!

The KLRs header pipe has a 1 3/8" OD. With a little expansion to the muffler inlet, seems like leaks would be a non-issue.

A lot of the MX mufflers I saw were aluminum cased, bead blasting would cleanup a used one quit well and most could be rebuilt with new packing.

Ayone ever thought about this?

« Last Edit: 05/18/08 at 19:43:07 by saratovich »  
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: A new source for aftermarket mufflers?
Reply #1 - 05/16/08 at 10:26:03

The LS650 header is just under 1 3/4 ".   Not so sure a muffler for a 1 3/8" pipe would work.  

Do you think expanding it 3/8" would be possible?   Remember, that 's a diameter expansion,  the circumference expands a bunch more.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
saratovich

Re: A new source for aftermarket mufflers?
Reply #2 - 05/16/08 at 12:31:07

Seems the metric system has merit after all!

The KLR header OD = 1 3/8" -- KLR muffer inlet ID = 1.5" ID (+1/8" over header OD)

I thought I read Shocked the Savage header pipe was 1 5/8" OD thereby, with my logic the inlet would only need to be expanded 1/4" (+1/8" in dia.?).

Hee hee, I've really confused myself now!!  I have to check myself twice on a calculator!

Anyway, I figured going up in ID had merit. Rather than "smashing" the excess as in the Harley muffler adaptation.

I'm going to the end of the line.  Embarrassed

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:28:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › A new source for aftermarket mufflers?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.