Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Thank God I found this forum because I need help (Read 165 times)
BadAndy74
YaBB Newbies

Born to ride free

Los Angeles, CA
Thank God I found this forum because I need help
05/15/08 at 22:34:29

For some reason, my wonderful savage has a few interesting problems.

First off: it will sometimes die on me while riding on the freeway at 70mph or more or right after getting on the freeway and having to merge.

Second: Every time after I ride, it looks like fuel has been leaking from the front of the motor somewhere because the side of the motor is always extremely dirty.

Third: In the past four years of owning the bike I've gone through four batteries.  I bought a new one this past summer and I just had to replace it yesterday.

Fourth: I get really bad mileage.  I couldn't even make it 65 miles on a single tank.  Had the dealer look at it but all they did was replace the air filter and spark plug.

That's it for now and I really appreciate any feedback whatsoever on any of the above problems.

01 Black Savage
Gel Seat, clear lenses all around, custom mirrors
  IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Re: Thank God I found this forum because I need he
Reply #1 - 05/16/08 at 02:38:13

check the needle valve and seat

trying running on PRI  and see how it is running

check the float level.

change vacumn lines from carb to fuel petcoc

Because I can!
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #2 - 05/16/08 at 03:10:19

Are you buying sealed batteries?  In warm climates, the original vented battery can dry out which can ruin the battery.

Are you sure the dirt on engine side is from fuel.  Could it be from oil?

The first and fourth items are most likely related.  Look for a vacuum leak in the hose that controls the vacuum shutoff to the tank petcock.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #3 - 05/16/08 at 06:06:25

Where in L.A.???   If you can make it down to Rickey & Ronnies for Bike Night I can meet you there and we can compare Savages -- might be able to clarify a problem or two.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 05/16/08 at 07:19:29

Check for fuel in the vacuum line too.

The dying problem is most likely a dryed out cracked vac line, replace and use the clamps with it any leak will cause your problem.

If that don't cure it, pull out the petcock and make sure the screen is clear.  sometimes get loaded with stuff.

And if you're still having issues, clean the carb.  make to pull the float valve seat and clean the screen.

Bad mileage, is this sudden?  cleaning the carb might clear this up.  make sure to clean the slide, should be silver not dark.

Battery problem, haven't heard that one but Tmack is right.  A maintenance free battery would be your best bet.  However, check your voltage while running, too high a voltage will burn out a battery.

WWW   IP Logged
saratovich

Reply #5 - 05/16/08 at 08:28:54

Paladin. wrote on 05/16/08 at 06:06:25:
Where in L.A.???   If you can make it down to Rickey & Ronnies for Bike Night I can meet you there and we can compare Savages -- might be able to clarify a problem or two.

Kudos to you Paladin! That's one of the hallmarks on this board . . . members always willing to lend a hand and info to others . . . even in person!!

IP Logged
BadAndy74
YaBB Newbies

Born to ride free

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #6 - 05/16/08 at 08:58:28

Thanks a lot for the help so far, I'll definitely try all those things.

Far as the battery goes, the one that just died on me from the summer was a sealed battery.  The dealer said that the bike may not be charging it as it's being used.

And thanks Paladin for the offer but I go to school in San Jose right now and won't be home to sunny so-cal until mid-june.

01 Black Savage
Gel Seat, clear lenses all around, custom mirrors
  IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #7 - 05/16/08 at 15:30:47

batteries lose up to 1% of their charge a day

so if you arent riding or charging the battery, that's your problem.  Is this a summer only bike?

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 22:31:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Thank God I found this forum because I need help

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.