Electrickery! (Read 201 times)
Darren
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Electrickery!
05/15/08 at 14:19:38

Hi all,

I finished nailing my 86 Savage back together today, having lavished lots of time and money on it. I hit the starter, and hit thetarter and hit it some more - and eventually flattened the battery!

Hmm, hooked the bike up to the car battery and tried again, no go. Took the plug out  to check for a spark and found that whilst on the starter there is no spark, when I release the starter button there is a spark until the engine revolutions stop. I have an Iridium plug fitted (new) and a standard loom. However I have fitted twin, Dominator style headlights, smaller indicators and a side mount number plate with an LED stop/tail light but the bike has previosly fired up with these mods in place.

Oh the carb now has a stage 4 kit installed along with a cone filter but once again the bike was running happily just a few days ago in this state of tune and its obvious that fel s getting through OK.

I also notice that the valve lifter solenoid clicks shut as the starter button is thumbed but then opens again immediately leaving the starter to crank against full compression. After setting the free play I took no further notice of this little gizmo until now. Can anybody shed any light on whether or not this action is correct and where my sparks might have gone?

Cheers

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Electrickery!
Reply #1 - 05/15/08 at 15:09:57

Darren wrote on 05/15/08 at 14:19:38:
I hit the starter, and hit thetarter and hit it some more

Smiley

How'd you do, I am confused, nice to meet you.

So you did all this work and it previously worked before.  So what's new?

The decompression solenoid is supposed to deactivate after a bit.  And you're telling me it turns over so it's working properly isn't it.

Now, I'd back out your new mod's untill it works again then add one at a time.

WWW   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #2 - 05/15/08 at 19:41:22

How old is the battery???  Starter draws a lot of current.  It just might be lowering the voltage just enough for the CDI/Ignitor to cut out.  

It would explian the release the button & then spark.  No power to the starter and the voltage goes up.... ....  but with the car battery it should fire  Huh..... unless the car battery is weak or the jump is with small wires......

Just a thought...... Huh

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Darren
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/16/08 at 11:55:29

Thanks for that advice - I neglected to say that I also rammed a screw driver into my palm so I couldn't type so well last night.

I had a new battery charging over night - tried it with the plug out this morning - definately a spark there. Put everything that I had taken off back on, reconnected all the lights etc (everything still seemingly OK) - hit the tarter, sorry starter and almost immediately zapped the battery to the point where the starter would hardly turn!

After letting it rest I took a plug out of my trusty XS650 and tried that against the block - big healthy sparks, put the Iridium plug back on - nothing. OK then, off down to the local bike shop for a new plug.

After fitting the plug I connected the battery back up to the car using some heavy duty jump leads and........ the bike started in an instant.

Job done, so I let it idle for a minute or so then disconnected the jump leads. The bike stalled immediately and would not catch again.

Deep joy! I've called in the cavalry now, my brother is an electrician - if he fails I have a bag of Snap On hammers I can use to modify it some more.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #4 - 05/16/08 at 13:47:44

In an effort to help you find the cause and solution we need more information. You said you "nailed the engine back together", what exactly does this mean? Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Darren
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/16/08 at 14:14:26

Sorry - getting flippant as the bike has finally annoyed me! I rebuilt the top end - new cam chain and guides, stopped the oil leaks and replaced the starter clutch.

Whilst the engine was out I started changing stuff - Bates style headlight got changed for a dominator twin halogen item, the stock indicators were changed for small chrome items. stock air filter replaced with a cone type, Harley aftermarket crankcase filter, stage 4 jet and spacer mod to the stock carb, standard saddle cut down and covered with leather and stingray skin, passenger pad, sissy bar and side rails removed and a Lambretta rack installed in their place, rear lights removed and replaced with an LED cateye job on a side mount number plate - oh and the bike already had a drag straight through exhaust with a large Manx Norton style muffler (no baffle) fitted when I bought it so I installed a baffle in that.

It ran fine with this lot last weekend and all I have done since is install a fresh battery and tidy the wiring by wrapping exposed areas behind the new lights in self amalgamating tape.

My brother is far more knowledgable about bike electrics than I will ever be - he suspects that there is a fault on the negative side of the starter circuit. I have tried to start it again this evening and the bike is suddenly not turning on the starter very easily and seems to discharge the battery mighty quick.

I will post some pictures of the little beast tomorrow - hopefully with a resolution to the current problem.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 05/16/08 at 14:51:34

could be something new, like a short in the starter.

WWW   IP Logged
joebothehobo

Ride like a ghost.

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #7 - 05/16/08 at 18:47:57

If the bike was running while connected to the car, died when you disconnected it, maybe the alternator's bad?

'91 Suzuki GS500E
'98 Subaru Outback.
Robertomoe is my bro.
  IP Logged
Darren
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/24/08 at 15:14:44

Sorted this one out - the starter motor was shorting out - the innards were in poor condition when I took it appart, loads of debris fell out of the case and the smell of burnt shellac was not pleasant at all. The short was robbing the ignition system of the power to produce a spark.

New (second hand) starter installed and the beasty finally woke up!

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #9 - 05/24/08 at 18:39:53

Yea!!    Love happy endings....    Cheesy

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #10 - 05/24/08 at 23:08:35

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 05/24/08 at 18:39:53:
Yea!!    Love happy endings....    Cheesy

The only thing that could make this thread better is pictures of the bike/mods!!!  Sounds interesting!  Cool

IP Logged
Darren
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 05/25/08 at 02:39:38

Funny you should mention that - I tried to upload pictures last night - even though I reduced them to well under the max size they would not upload.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 20:22:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Electrickery!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.