Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Petcock problem? (Read 61 times)
Jimworx

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Petcock problem?
05/14/08 at 19:19:24

I'm riding the bike and it seems fine when the petock is on the reserve position, but when its on the "on" position, it sometimes shuts off. Is this a petcock problem? This is something that developed recently.

Jim

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Re: Petcock problem?
Reply #1 - 05/14/08 at 19:34:49

First thought is: you're running low on fuel.  If I were a smart aleck, that is what I would suggest you check first.  But I'm not.  My bike was running rough in the "on" position, but better on "res."  Also, gas was leaking from the carb in "on" but not on "res."  On "Pri" it ran great.  I bought a new petcock and now it runs like a champ.  I tore the old petcock apart to attempt the "on, off, res" mod that you can read about on this site.  It is still sitting in pieces in front of my keyboard, because I got sidetracked with other cool stuff I can do to the bike.

Anyway, I couldn't find anything obviously wrong with the petcock, but replacing it certainly fixed what ailed the bike.  The acid test for me was: If I switch it to "Pri" and all the problems go away, then it's time to replace the gadgetry that is between the tank and the carb.  Pri bypasses that gadgetry, so I figured something must be wrong with it.

There are several very informative threads on the site that explain clearly how the vacuum hose influences the operation of the petcock, and the weaknesses of the system.  

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 05/14/08 at 20:24:14

Mine is exactly the same as yours Jimmy.  Runs great in reserve, cuts out in on.  And like Sandy, tore it all apart and found nothing wrong.

Things to check:
1st make sure there's no gas in the vacuum line, very important.  If there is, replace or convert to manual as shown in the tech section.
2nd, replace the vac line.  Darn thing cracks.  And put on hose clamps, any kind.
3rd, remove petcock and completely tear it apart.  Check the diaphram for holes, dead mice, etc.
and last but not least, although alot more involved, check your float valve and the screen in the seat.  I've just discovered this little gem and have yet to do it.  Crap in the screen could restrict flow just enough to need the extra pressure that reserve will give you.

Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Jimworx

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 05/14/08 at 20:58:07

Thanks for the responses. I think I'll check the lines and then replace the petcock. I had the fuel spilling out of the carbs also. I thought that was just me. I guess not. I'm surprise to hear that it might be related to the petcock. I don't suppose the poor idle is related as well. At idle, the bike sometimes feel like its going to die.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 05/14/08 at 21:13:06

Fuel spilling out of the carb?  definitely check your float level, float valve and screen.

You need to check all these things or you're just throwing money at it.  I know that's easier, but I like to fix what needs fixin' and not end up with a brand new bike every time some minor issue comes up.

WWW   IP Logged
Jimworx

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 05/14/08 at 21:16:56

Fuel spilling out of the carb?  definitely check your float level, float valve and screen.

But this happened on my original carb and then my replaced carb. What are the chances of 2 carbs being off? I thought it was from me flooding the carb through repeated cranking during the hard starts in the cold mornings.

Pardon my ignorance, but where is the float valve and screen?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 02:33:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Petcock problem?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.