IS the S40 better than the Honda VLX 600.  Wink

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: IS it better?
Reply #1 - 05/14/08 at 19:50:46

Better, like Beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

Or as I usually counterquestion, "Better for what?"

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #2 - 05/14/08 at 19:53:46

I owned a Honda VLX now a Boulevard s40.Honda smoother motor,very good sounding exhaust,much better on freeways suzuki better handling a lot more room seems bigger.I am 5-6 and the honda seemed tight for me.I like the boulevard better,It' just not a freeway motorcycle. I also have a Suzuki VL 1500,seats 4.5 inches wider and lot thicker 2500 rpm at 60 mph thats a freeway machine,so I have both backroad and freeway motorcycles.1500 also has a very good passenger seat 1.5 wider than s40 front seat and a 4.5 travel rear travel.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
dodd572001
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 05/15/08 at 17:23:49

Can you ride the freeway on a S40 and feel safe doing so.

IP Logged
dodd572001
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 05/15/08 at 17:24:40

Can you ride the freeway on a S40 and feel safe doing so.  Wink

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #5 - 05/15/08 at 17:45:35

No you can't.

The S40 is such a miserably underpowered machine that you have to get off and push it over speed bumps.  It is so slow that you're turning 8500 rpm in 5th gear just to get it to 35mph.  The seat is made of concrete and will cause your spleen to rupture if you run over a crack in the pavement.  The shocks aren't shocks at all, they are cardboard tubes wrapped in coat hangers.

Ok, dripping sarchasm aside, the S40/ Savage has alot going for it.  You most CERTAINLY ride it on the express way.  (I do all the time).  It has no trouble keeping up with traffic.  Yes, at 65mph, the engine is spooling along at 4k rpm, but it is comfortable, with little vibration.

Compared to the VLX, the Savage is lighter, simpler to maintain and much better handling at slow speeds.  The VLX is a better performer on the expressway.  The engine is smooth and strong.

You can't go wrong with either, but if you ask us, we're all just a bit slanted towards the Savage....

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
rpgpgmr

Huntington, WV
Reply #6 - 05/15/08 at 17:47:51

Nope, I love my S40, but my buddy has a VLX and it is twice the bike as my S40.  Nicer styling, rides better, way more power, more comfortable seat, speedo is on the handlebars, better chrome package.  Pretty much in every category it is better.  He said his bolts are pretty cheap too, but not as cheap as ours.

2005 Suzuki Boulevard S40
2007 Yamaha V-Star Classic
  IP Logged
Jimworx

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 05/15/08 at 17:49:08

Funny, you should ask because I happen to own a VLX and a savage. The VLX is definitely smoother, but the savage seems to have more torque, especially from a standstill. On the freeway, both bikes buzz, but the VLX buzzes less. I also feel less cramped on the VLX. The Savage handles better in the city while dodging cars and pedestrians. The VLX is not as good in the city, but handles better at higher speeds.

Jim

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 05/15/08 at 18:26:45

The Savage's natural forte is all the daily running around town, a pair of small saddle bags complete it's equation marvelously -- is is the quintessential "go to" around town fun cycle.  

It makes running around PURE FUN to do.

There are other bikes that can do long trips and open road better.  So you wind up with two bikes -- what's the fuss?  

Some of us have 3-4-5 bikes, but we keep the Savage while changing others out.  There simply isn't a better around town run around bike.

You can make your Savage into what you want -- some here have changed formats several times as their owners wants and needs have shifted.  

Some of us have several Savages -- set up in different formats.

Ain't no sin to like a different bike for other reasons/uses.

Oldfeller

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
PhotoProf

Only the mediocre
are always at their
best!

Reply #9 - 05/15/08 at 18:31:03

I had a VLX before the S-40 and agree that it is a nice looking bike. It rode well and was reliable... liked the liquid cooling. As far as performance, I think the S-40 would take the VLX at lower speeds... seems to have more torque/power. Between the two, I think the S-40 is more fun to ride... certainly easier to move around. My Honda just seemed to be touchy taking off from a dead start and took a while to warm up. I think the overall build quality of the VLX is better. If you like working on your own bike, the S-40 is definitely less complex.

IP Logged
J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
Reply #10 - 05/15/08 at 18:45:20

I don't necessarily enjoy freeway rides, but they're generally OK without a horrid headwind (no windshield).  It's not a bike you stick in the left lane with.  Like my '69 VW Beetle, it will make do on the freeway if needed.  Since I did the spacer mod and mixture, I'm slightly more comfortable on the freeway.  I don't get that feeling now that something is about to snap.

“These go to 11.” --Nigel Tufnel
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 05/16/08 at 00:31:18

What do you ride now? I used to ride a Rebel 250 (used to as in a week and a half ago) and took that on the freeway frequently. Compared to the Reb the Savage is great. Feels much safer. In 5th at 65 theres planty of throttle left. In fact I got the Savage for the one time I may need that extra umph. The reb got to freeway speeds easily enough but not any further in a timely fashion. I can't comment on the VLX as I havent ridden one but do admire them. In my area it was a price matter. I'm still young and pretty broke. Most VLXs around here for sale are in the $3k range where as I paid half that for my savage. Plus its easier to work on. Cant get much simpler than a single cylinder. Beware the cam chain tensioner!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 12:20:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › IS it better?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.