Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Broke yet another bolt... (Read 208 times)
rpgpgmr

Huntington, WV
Broke yet another bolt...
05/14/08 at 17:22:05

Well while re-installing the cylinder head cover, I broke the bolt inside the exhaust valve cover (the one in there between the valves that helps to hold the cylinder head on).  Funny thing is that it was just starting to give resistance.  I was applying very little pressure.  It wasn't the head that got stipped or even a cross-threading ... it just broke in half!

We're not talking about an older bike either.  It's an '05 model that I bought new a year ago this month.  It is fascinating how Suzuki has managed to find the absolute cheapest nuts, bolts, and screws in the history of the world.  I have replaced soooo many already.  This winter I need to take it completely apart and put it back together with quality hardware.  Otherwise it may just fall apart on me someday while I'm riding.

2005 Suzuki Boulevard S40
2007 Yamaha V-Star Classic
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Re: Broke yet another bolt...
Reply #1 - 05/14/08 at 18:33:23

Suzuki does seem to spec the use of some VERY soft steel when it comes to their fasteners.

Years ago (another lifetime it seems) I was a maintenance techician in the Air Force.  On some sub assemblies, we had single use fasteners.  You would torque the fastener to recommended specs then secure with a keeper wire.  When it came time for disassembly and inspection, the fastener would be removed, discarded and replaced with a new one.  It didn't matter how the bolt looked.  We never reused a bolt.  A good thing too, since we're talking about mulit-million $$$ aircraft. I can see erring on the side of caution.

I wonder if Suzuki does the same.  We're all back-yard wrenchers.  I don't know of anyone here who is a Suzuki factory trained technician.  I'll bet you that if you were to read the Suzuki maintenance guide, it probably states to replace the cylinder head bolts if the head is removed for any reason.  

I know I will.  When I swap my cam chain later this summer, I'm going to replace all the bolts in the head.  It adds $26.00 onto the job, but knowing I can torque the bolts to proper specs without (reasonable) fear of them snapping is priceless.... Tongue

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #2 - 05/14/08 at 18:45:45

I'm preparing to do the oil plug/cap repair and came across an ebay auction for a head bolt set http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2900564179.... Figured it would be worth the $25 w/shipping to have extra bolts on hand.

FSO
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 05/14/08 at 19:38:43

Joe, it states that these are for the covers, usually that means side covers.  Best to ask the vendor if also head cover.

WWW   IP Logged
rpgpgmr

Huntington, WV
Reply #4 - 05/14/08 at 19:39:20

Oh yea.  Rule of thumb when you own a Suzuki:  When you take something off that still has the factory hardware, REPLACE IT!

IP Logged
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
Reply #5 - 05/14/08 at 20:36:52

What were you doing with the head cover?  Were you torqueing the head bolts or the chrome cover?  I should check the torque on my head bolts since I now have 1000 miles but wonder how much work that is.

IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #6 - 05/14/08 at 21:31:53

verslagen1 wrote on 05/14/08 at 19:38:43:
Joe, it states that these are for the covers, usually that means side covers.  Best to ask the vendor if also head cover.

Nice catch Vers!

It seems like every nut/bolt on my bike is fragile, not because of build quality, but the bike being left in the elements by the p.o. for who knows how long. Lots of rust and oxidation in every nook and cranny. No idea when the last time a nut or bolt was turned before I got my hands on it.

FSO
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 05/14/08 at 22:22:30

I guess I shoulda said I know 1st hand about this.  I bought a set before I did the cam chain with no intent that I would replace the head cover screws.  And at the time no thought about the carb screws either.  But when I did, looked and found no screws were included for that or the carb.  Nice guy thou, I had asked for a few extra's for the side tin's and he threw 'em in.

And I'd recommend the Stainless steel variety, these don't seem to be.

WWW   IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #8 - 05/14/08 at 23:17:33

at least your bolts werent rusted in... the CM 450 I'm going to get given to me has some nasty ones

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #9 - 05/15/08 at 03:38:31

verslagen1 wrote on 05/14/08 at 22:22:30:
I guess I shoulda said I know 1st hand about this.  I bought a set before I did the cam chain with no intent that I would replace the head cover screws.  And at the time no thought about the carb screws either.  But when I did, looked and found no screws were included for that or the carb.  Nice guy thou, I had asked for a few extra's for the side tin's and he threw 'em in.

And I'd recommend the Stainless steel variety, these don't seem to be.

V-man,  I am sure you are aware of this but just a tip for those who are not familiar with SS fastners.  There is one key for using them in aluminum.  Make sure you use ANTI-SIEZE or you will hate yourself later!   Angry  Fundamentally aluminum and SS don't get along so well in long term close contact.  A good anti seize will deal with that. Wink

WWW   IP Logged
rpgpgmr

Huntington, WV
Reply #10 - 05/15/08 at 04:28:35

Keith, yes I was torquing the head bolts.  I was finishing up my 7500-mile service, which includes taking off the cylinder head cover and torquing those head bolts to 29-33 Nm.

Note, in the SSM it said that there are 4 bolts, but on my '05 there were only 3.  Additionally it said that these are 9mm bolts, but mine were 14 mm.  A change through the years, or a serious misprint?

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #11 - 05/15/08 at 05:03:30

Why did you take off the cylinder head cover for the 7500mi maintenance?  You aren't talking about the 2 chrome trim pieces on the sides, are you?

To check the valve clearance, there are 2 inspection doors built into the head cover.  Each are held in by 10mm bolts.  To check the valves, you remove the 2 chrome side covers, then remove the inspection doors.  There is no reason to remove the entire head cover to do the maintenance....

Depending on how deep the bolt was when it snapped, you may be able to get it out with an easy-out, without disassembling the head.  If not, its about a 3 hour job to remove it from the bike and strip it to the cylinder case.

Good luck......

IP Logged
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
Reply #12 - 05/15/08 at 05:35:13

rpgpgmr wrote on 05/15/08 at 04:28:35:
Keith, yes I was torquing the head bolts.  I was finishing up my 7500-mile service, which includes taking off the cylinder head cover and torquing those head bolts to 29-33 Nm.

Were the head bolts out of spec?

IP Logged
rpgpgmr

Huntington, WV
Reply #13 - 05/15/08 at 08:07:16

Skrapiron, no I wasn't checking the valve clearance.  I did that a few days ago.  Part of the maintenance is to torque the bolts under the cylinder head and reseal it with Suzuki Bond 1216.  The actual head cover, not just the chrome side covers, must be removed to get to these bolts.  The broken bolt is in a place where I can't get to it with a drill or anything other than a 10mm offset wrench ... so the entire engine must be removed.  :'(  So ya know what, I'M LEAVIN' IT IN THERE!!  It's deep enough to where I don't think it will vibrate out and there are 8 or 10 other bolts holding the head cover on.  It's just not worth all that work to me--not to mention I'll probably screw up something else while attempting to remove the engine.

Keith, no they weren't out of spec.  It was all for nothing.  Figures.  Grin

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #14 - 05/15/08 at 13:09:44

Oh Snap.

I never pulled my head to check those bolts.  You're talking about the 4 lurking under the head cover aren't you....

Well, I've got over 30k on my bike now and it hasn't shown any ill effects from NOT pulling the head cover and torquing those bolts.  I guess I have a few more things to do when I swap my cam chain later.....

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 02:33:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Broke yet another bolt...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.