Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Broke yet another bolt... (Read 208 times)
rpgpgmr

Huntington, WV
Re: Broke yet another bolt...
Reply #15 - 05/15/08 at 13:26:09

Well that's the thing, the SSM says that there are 4 in there, but there were only 3 on my '05 model.  They weren't even 9mm like it said they would be, they were 14mm!!  Those were the only bolts under there and they were exactly in the same place as the diagram in the manual so I know that's them.  Go figure. Roll Eyes

I wouldn't stress over it too much, mine were showing NO signs of loosening after 7500.

2005 Suzuki Boulevard S40
2007 Yamaha V-Star Classic
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #16 - 05/15/08 at 20:39:48

First off the studs the nuts fit on are the 9 mm parts they are referring to as we don't classify metric fasteners by the hex, the brits did that with Whitworth wrenches. 2nd the 4 th. one is under the often mentioned plug that  leaks just behind the exhaust header. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reply #17 - 05/16/08 at 16:30:33

smokin_blue wrote on 05/15/08 at 03:38:31:
V-man,  I am sure you are aware of this but just a tip for those who are not familiar with SS fastners.  There is one key for using them in aluminum.  Make sure you use ANTI-SIEZE or you will hate yourself later!   Angry  Fundamentally aluminum and SS don't get along so well in long term close contact.  A good anti seize will deal with that. Wink

Should you be too cheap to purchase some anti-sieze (heaven forbid):  a bottle of MOM (Milk Of Magnesia) will do nicely.  An old hotrod buddy of mine showed me this trick.  This guy used to maintain gas turbine engines for a living.  He told me that they were having a problem with a few SS bolts always seizing and breaking when they tried to remove them.  A guy from the factory came out and showed them that they needed to dip the bolts in MOM before they put them in.  Apparently, MOM has chalk in it.  The chalk will discolor, but not burn away and always act as a barrier between the dissimilar metals, just like modern anti-sieze does.

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 02:33:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Broke yet another bolt...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.