Send Topic Print
Exhaust leak (Read 91 times)
Dice
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Exhaust leak
05/14/08 at 11:56:57

I just put on my hd muffler. I noticed before hand that I had a small leak where the muffler attaches to the pipe. I shimmed it up and cinched down the muffler clamp and I still have a slight leak.....any way to fix it without taking the muffler back off again?

Mike

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Re: Exhaust leak
Reply #1 - 05/14/08 at 12:27:53

The only permanent solution is to weld it in place.

Any muffler shop can do it for just a couple of bucks, or buy yourself a 60amp wire-feed welder and do it yourself.

Clamps are useless....

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #2 - 05/14/08 at 19:47:28

At first this will sound like a stupid question, but eventually you'll realize I'm only ignorant.  I used high temp metallic tape to seal the joints on my pellet stove vent.  It is a pressurized vent system, but the pressure isn't great.  Would that serve to stop small leaks in an exhaust system?  It's cheap, it sticks like you wouldn't believe, it's shiny, it's pretty tough, and if wrapped carefully, I think it would lay pretty flat and not be terribly noticeable.  

Somebody try it and let me know. I'm getting some major popping on decel, and from what I've read here, I think I'd probably find a leak if I went looking for it.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 05/14/08 at 20:26:51

well sandy, it's your idea.  you got the offending leak.  you know where the tape is.  get your but down there and wrap it up.  let us know if it works and we'll pay you the proper homidge.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 00:33:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Exhaust leak

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.