Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
That single cylinder has the gang pointing fingers (Read 1764 times)
marina
YaBB Newbies

seattle, wa
That single cylinder has the gang pointing fingers
05/12/08 at 09:49:32

I have my heart set on a Savage.  I can't explain it but I just KNOW this is love.  I am going to chop/bob it and will do it with my bear hands!  So here's the dilio - my bf rides an Aprilia 1000R Milla and his 'group' of friends say that I will hate my butt on roadtrips with the one cylinder, and that the vibration will annoy me to no end.  While I get the vibration from the one cylinder I also know I am not going to ride more then a few hours and will take stops at 80 miles.  We want to carve out a lot of Cali (I live in Seattle).  So what are your thoughts about the Savage and road trips.  

This is my first bike, btw.  Cool

No scolding me on searching the forum!  I've read them all but want to hear it fresh from the one cylinder perspective.

Thanks!

I love this forum.

WWW   IP Logged
rpgpgmr

Huntington, WV
Re: That single cylinder has the gang pointing fin
Reply #1 - 05/12/08 at 10:22:48

The savage is a perfect first bike.  It's my first and I love it!  I've heard mixed feelings on the vibration, but as for myself, I don't get much vibration at all.  After hours of riding, yes your butt will be a little numb, but there is a seat mod in our Technical Documents section that will pretty much cure that.  It costs a few bucks and takes a few minutes and makes a WORLD of difference.

As for power, this is no ordinary single-cylinder.  I ride with a V-Star, a Dyna Glide, and a VLX.  I have NO problem keeping pace wherever we go.  It will out-maneuver all of them because of its light weight and smaller size.  I'm not a small man either--I'm 6', 230 pounds!  They are easy to work on and so much fun to ride.  WHATEVER you want to do to it, there is someone on this forum who can help guide you through it.  We have the best forum on the Internet in my opinion.  FWIW

2005 Suzuki Boulevard S40
2007 Yamaha V-Star Classic
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #2 - 05/12/08 at 10:43:06

It's good for long rides once you get the seat the way you like it. Some people stay with the stock seat, but others change to gel, pads and shock changes.

The vibration on this bike is LESS than the Honda Nighthawk I had before, and it seems less than a Yamaha I have ridden. What I have not tried is a really big cruiser because the weight is too much for me to handle. I'm guessing (correctly) that they ride smoother because thats what they are designed for.

All that being said, this is a HIGHLY adaptable bike - you can make it into whatever works for you. Ride safe!  Smiley

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
Baldeagle

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Hernando MS
Reply #3 - 05/12/08 at 12:53:33

I had somewhat of a bad vibration coming from the right foot peg.  Someone suggested to tighten the two bolts that hold the heat shield on.  These also are engine mount bolts. I Put a little 'mo-jo' and them and things got a whole lot better.

Kuryakyn ISO grips with the stelleto bar ends help in that area.  Pillow top gel with seat mod makes a big difference. Smiley

Old geezer with a 05 S40
  IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #4 - 05/12/08 at 13:41:29

Chain conversion..as long as you are making changes to it.  Cheap and easy conversion that lowers revs on the road.  I have ridden 2-1/2 hrs non-stop on it no problem.  But seat IS the key to it.  Stock can be painful.

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
PhotoProf

Only the mediocre
are always at their
best!

Reply #5 - 05/12/08 at 14:16:46

I've had a number of bikes (various brands) over the years with a Yamaha Virago 750 twin being the largest and I would say the S-40 has got to be one of the most fun! The vibration isn't bad for a big single and it is easy to maneuver. It doesn't cost an arm and a leg and gets very good gas mileage. What more can I say?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 05/12/08 at 14:33:12

A pair progressive shocks is next on my list of improvements because it's not the vibes that bother it, it's the sharp jolts.

For those that enjoy doing maintenance, there's not a better bike.  I stopped working on cars due to all the electronics, but this is like the VW I had in college.

You won't be stoppies and wheelies, but you'll keep up with them and you might even beat them off the line.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 05/12/08 at 14:35:47

For a single, the Savage has very little vibration.  As mentioned above, the stock seat can be uncomfortable for longer than a short trip.  There are a lot of paths to a better seat.  I've used an S40 gel seat and while it's better than the stock seat, I much prefer the HD Sportster seat I got from eBay.  However, depending on your bobbing plans, you might want to go for a springer seat... a wide police version, if you can find it.  It'll take a little modding to make it fit but that's half the fun.  Gort just did one and it looks comfy.  Oh, and I agree with Verslagen1 too.  Upgraded shocks help a lot for ride comfort.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #8 - 05/12/08 at 15:14:39

When I got back into riding after a 40 year lay off, I knew little about modern bikes.  What I remembered as big bikes were mostly single cylinder machines in teh 650 - 750 range.

When I told several of my buddies I wanted an S40, they all cautioned me about the vibration of a thumper.

Well, this past weekend I rode my S40 to our airport, where most of these nay sayers also hang out on weekends.

One of them, age 61, who has been riding about everything made since he was in high school, took my bike for a 1/2 hour ride.  He came back amazed at how smooth it is.  This from a guy who currently owns THREE Honda FT 500 Ascots, a Norton Commando, a Ducatti, and a couple more bikes in pieces.

Then, our chief mechanic rode it.  This guy is a former chief engine builder for a Champ Car team, an Indy Car team, and knows more about engines of all kinds, cars, bikes, airplanes, etc. than anyone else I know.  He was a grin from ear to ear, amazed at how smooth the S40 is.  He owns a BMW bike.

Then, a captain for Northwest Airlines rode my bike.  He has another FT 500 Ascot - he was also very pleased at the smoothness.

So, that's the report from those who have far more experience to form a basis of comparison than I.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #9 - 05/12/08 at 16:24:21

marina wrote on 05/12/08 at 09:49:32:
....I will hate my butt on roadtrips with the one cylinder, and that the vibration will annoy me to no end....
As others note, Suzuki did a fabulous job with the counterbalancer and this thumper mostly doesn't.  As I remember it, my '82 or so GS450E Twin buzzed a lot worse at Interstate speeds.  Both with the twin and the single, limiting speed to about 70 mph cures the buzzing -- AND you don't have to worry about Johnny Law!

I heard of the GEEIA reunion in OKC, planned to attend.  Wasn't too sure about my physical ability to endure a roadtrip, so after work one Friday I got home, took a nap, got on the bike about 9pm, road 100+ freeway miles to the Palm Springs area, refueled, took a leisurely putt through Joshua Tree National Park (ain't nothin' prettier than the Mojave under a Full Moon,) refueled, took the freeway home.  Surprized myself -- didn't get tired, didn't get sore, but the Flyscreen is no good with 30+mph headwinds.  Did it again, with the Street Shield and airline carryon luggage -- much better (especially as I was able to brew a cup of tea about 3 am.)

So I did it, rode Thumper to the Reunion:

Started by doing L.A. to Amarillo, 1085 miles, in two days.  My butt and feet didn't care for it and I knew I would not be able to do Jonesboro AR - Needles CA for a BB1500 back from visiting #1 daughter which reverted to plan B, 300 mi/day on two lanes back to L.A..      BUT.....

That's a 60-year-old butt that gets stiff and sore on the livingroom sofa if I don't move about once in a while; a younger butt might not have that problem.  I don't think a multi-cylinder bike would help as the problem was not vibration, but was instead a matter of not being able to shift position much.  I definitely need floorboards before the next long trip.  Already have a wider sprung saddle that needs mounting.

As others note, convert to chain and you'll be able to reduce the RPM at speed and reduce the vibration from a buzzzzzz to a rumble -- think the prankster's handshake "joy buzzer" versus a motel's vibrating bed.

And please note that this is all subjective.  What is comfort for one is pain for another.

If you want to yank their chains, tell the guys that you enjoy having something hot and throbbing between the thighs.

WWW   IP Logged
marina
YaBB Newbies

seattle, wa
Reply #10 - 05/12/08 at 17:02:51

verslagen1 wrote on 05/12/08 at 14:33:12:
I stopped working on cars due to all the electronics, but this is like the VW I had in college.

Unreal.  That is what I told my bf.  I had a '70 bug a few years ago (and the Complete Idiot Guide to VW maintenance book).  I worked on that bug all the time.  I learned how to change the bleed the brakes, change the belts, set the timing .. on and on.  So yeah .. I feel the same about this bike.   Wink

WWW   IP Logged
marina
YaBB Newbies

seattle, wa
Reply #11 - 05/12/08 at 17:04:57

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 05/12/08 at 15:14:39:
When I got back into riding after a 40 year lay off, I knew little about modern bikes.  What I remembered as big bikes were mostly single cylinder machines in teh 650 - 750 range.

When I told several of my buddies I wanted an S40, they all cautioned me about the vibration of a thumper.

Well, this past weekend I rode my S40 to our airport, where most of these nay sayers also hang out on weekends.

One of them, age 61, who has been riding about everything made since he was in high school, took my bike for a 1/2 hour ride.  He came back amazed at how smooth it is.  This from a guy who currently owns THREE Honda FT 500 Ascots, a Norton Commando, a Ducatti, and a couple more bikes in pieces.

Then, our chief mechanic rode it.  This guy is a former chief engine builder for a Champ Car team, an Indy Car team, and knows more about engines of all kinds, cars, bikes, airplanes, etc. than anyone else I know.  He was a grin from ear to ear, amazed at how smooth the S40 is.  He owns a BMW bike.

Then, a captain for Northwest Airlines rode my bike.  He has another FT 500 Ascot - he was also very pleased at the smoothness.

So, that's the report from those who have far more experience to form a basis of comparison than I.

jerry - is that a stock seat?

WWW   IP Logged
marina
YaBB Newbies

seattle, wa
Reply #12 - 05/12/08 at 17:17:09

Thanks everyone!  This makes me feel sooo much better about the decision.

I hope to have one look like this one day:

WWW   IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #13 - 05/12/08 at 17:26:44

Like Paladin, the pain in my rear comes from the seating position and inability to move around.  The only vibration I've noticed is the speedometer squeaking away at me.  I'm building a seat, and if it turns out as comfortable as it seems to be during testing, I am going to climb on the Savage and ride to Hawaii.  Just gotta do the water wing and snorkel mod.  I'm sick of this lousy weather.

I've put about 1200 miles on my bike now, 5-50 miles at a time.  Haven't done a long stretch, but I'm looking forward to a road trip, not dreading it.  I LOVE my People Eater.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
joebothehobo

Ride like a ghost.

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #14 - 05/12/08 at 20:04:44

Where on earth did you find that photo? its fantastic! If you can get your bike to look like that, I'm sure you'd get more grins than frowns for your choice. Especially if you go with paladin's tactic of mentioning that the vibration between your legs is far from unwelcome.

'91 Suzuki GS500E
'98 Subaru Outback.
Robertomoe is my bro.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 04:26:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › That single cylinder has the gang pointing fingers

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.