Send Topic Print
Heel-toe shifter help. (Read 178 times)
MickeyX
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Heel-toe shifter help.
05/11/08 at 21:46:35

Does anyone know of a heel-toe shifter arm that can be put on a Savage? I've had extensive surgery on my left leg and ankle and have a hard time pulling up to shift gears on my 86. Pushing down is no problem. I'm not sure if I would just have to totally mod the entire peg setup to move it all back a bit so I can hook up directly to the arm and drop all of the extension rod.

Thanks for any help you can give!!  Smiley

IP Logged
Educatedredneck
Alliance Member

Sometimes it's
better to be lucky
than good.

Hampstead, Maryland
Re: Heel-toe shifter help.
Reply #1 - 05/11/08 at 22:37:01

You might want to look into an air shifter that would attached to the shifter rod and be activated at the handlebar - a little pricey - but might be safer for you.  Just a thought

1997 Savage - Hard Chrome Drag Pipe, Seat Mod, 152.5 main, 1 - #4 washer, Di Hard Battery, T-Kat, 1" Drag Bar
  IP Logged
joebothehobo

Ride like a ghost.

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #2 - 05/12/08 at 00:45:00

Let us know how that works out, its a mod that isnt too common as far as ive seen.

As for the mechanics, i would think that you can just clamp something onto the existing ... thingy (the bar that runs E-W from the lever into the transmission) and be done, so long as the bulge in the casing doesnt get in the way too much. and even then you could maybe do a Z shaped lever. It would mean your rear shifter would stick out further than your front shifter, but so what?

then again, i dont have a bike in front of me to scope it out. Good luck either way.

'91 Suzuki GS500E
'98 Subaru Outback.
Robertomoe is my bro.
  IP Logged
rpgpgmr

Huntington, WV
Reply #3 - 05/12/08 at 05:49:35

Seems to me that I remember someone on here installed floorboards with the heel-toe shifter?  Have you read through all the threads in the Technical Documents?  Don't rely too heavily on the Search function.  It works pretty well, but it does miss some stuff.  I went through and read every thread in the Technical Documents ... learned soooo much.  The floor board installation may have been in Rubber Side Down too.  

I can't be sure if even read that on here ... but it's worth a shot.  Good luck.

2005 Suzuki Boulevard S40
2007 Yamaha V-Star Classic
  IP Logged
Lazy Old Rider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/12/08 at 06:06:35

I tried googling for you and came back here!

http://www.ridegear.com/rg/item/F-35472/M-C-Enterprises/300-24-Floorboard-wit...

Now the above is the next choice it is Suzuki, you can buy it and see what mods you need but it is a few bucks.

http://www.motorcycle-bike-parts.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/bike-parts-page.html?l_...

This man has been there before so you can register and see if you can get into contact

Hope this helps

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #5 - 05/13/08 at 06:53:42

It might be worth while to use the linkage to the shifter selector instead of just bolting a heel/toe shifter onto it. I compaired the size of the shifter shaft on a savage to an older Ducati single that has a heel/toe shifter and found that the shaft on the savage is a lot smaller in diameter than the one on the Ducati. I would think that there would be a lot more force applied to the stock shifter shaft with a bolted on heel/toe shifter. That along with the smaller shaft diameter could cause real problems. Setting up a rear brake pedal on the right side would be the challenge.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
MickeyX
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/13/08 at 10:59:22

Ah, that's a good point Ed L about the diameter of the shaft. I didn't think of that. I went out and looked and it does seem a bit on the thin side for putting direct torque pressure with a shifter.

I went into the local HD dealer the other day to see if I could come up with an idea of how to pull this off. There is a woman who works there who is apparently the go-to person for stuff like this. She said she knew they didn't have anything at HD that would work but looked up some really good fab guys in the area that she's gone to in the past. They do a lot of mods to cycles and would be my best bet to make something work.

The thing is, I can shift, I just have to raise my entire leg up to do it. It's more of a PITA than anything.

I'll have to do a search on the air shifter idea. I've never heard of that before. My mechanic friend wants to do a suicide shifter. I'm not that coordinated anymore. I think suicide would be a perfect name for that.  Shocked

Thanks guys.  Cool I'll let you know what I come up with. If you have any more ideas, please add 'em.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #7 - 05/13/08 at 12:28:16

Try leaving a message for ex-member Dr. Jim he has the air/electric (not sure which) shifter on his sidecar quipped Savage and it works for him. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
rpgpgmr

Huntington, WV
Reply #8 - 05/13/08 at 12:45:35

...wait a second.  "sidecar equipped Savage"?  No way.  Please tell me there's a picture on here somewhere.  I gotta see that.

2005 Suzuki Boulevard S40
2007 Yamaha V-Star Classic
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #9 - 05/13/08 at 12:58:25

I saved a copy.... sorry only saved one image.  At least I think it's his.....  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 06:27:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Heel-toe shifter help.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.