Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Savage Stereo with Pics (Read 307 times)
feelinjunky

No Comment

NJ
Savage Stereo with Pics
05/10/08 at 20:00:23

Ok, I've finally bought the speakers from uniqcycle.com and installed them. They sound great. I do have a small problem. Every time I hit 3000 rpm, the stereo turns off!!! and it comes back on at about 3100 rpm. Is there anyone who knows anything about this? The stereo takes power from the rear brake light.

http://www.bikepics.com/members/feelinjunky/01savage/

Sorry, I've removed the pictures that were here because they were just too big and you could just click above to see them anyway, a little redundant too keep them...

« Last Edit: 05/11/08 at 16:26:47 by feelinjunky »  
  IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Re: Savage Stereo with Pics
Reply #1 - 05/11/08 at 18:24:40

Don't crank the ABBA up too loud or you might miss the cam chain tensioner death rattle.  Cheesy

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #2 - 05/11/08 at 18:48:40

3K RPM....  hmmmm

First thing I would do is take power off the battery (with fuse...).  Taking power off the tail-light means you are taking power from a circuit that goes all over the bike.  Lots of possibilities to get interference.

If that doesn't work,  you may need to go to your local Radio Shack  and rummage thru their catalog.  They make a filter for two-way radios to eliminate ignition interference.  Pretty sure they no longer have it in the store (cell phones shot most of the customer demand for two-way radios).
Heck....   http://www.radioshack.com

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Prophet_10

TANSTAAFL

Dekalb, IL
Reply #3 - 05/12/08 at 07:28:17

Hey,  Can you give me more specific info on this system?  Such as, what Model, Where to get, How much??

Also, would it be possible to take a photo of the handlebar mounting?  Do you think it would fit on an S40?

Thanks!

-Matt

WWW   IP Logged
Prophet_10

TANSTAAFL

Dekalb, IL
Reply #4 - 05/12/08 at 07:35:34

OK, so I reread your post, and figured out where ya got 'em...

Do you wear a helmet?  If so can you still hear the tunes?

WWW   IP Logged
feelinjunky

No Comment

NJ
Reply #5 - 05/12/08 at 09:03:51

Prophet_10 wrote on 05/12/08 at 07:35:34:
OK, so I reread your post, and figured out where ya got 'em...

Do you wear a helmet?  If so can you still hear the tunes?

These are 15 watt speakers. They are very loud. I can easily hear the music with my full face helmet on with the volume up about a third of the way. I mounted them onto the bolts that hold the handlebar in place.

I can't really connect the amp to the battery because I want the stereo to turn on when I turn the key.

IP Logged
joeh100

http://www.livevideo
.com/joeh100

Cent. Alabama
Reply #6 - 05/12/08 at 17:28:35

Quote:
I can't really connect the amp to the battery because I want the stereo to turn on when I turn the key.

You can use a relay for this, but that might not solve your problem.

If your comfortable with a soldering iron then try this:

Use shielded wire as short as possible.  I use 18 guage mic wire a lot for power wire, but usually never fuse it above 5 amps.  Only connect the shield at one end.

You can also solder a cap across the power wires close to the amp/stereo.  Even better are 2 caps.  A large electrolytic say 1000uF or larger in parallel with a small ceramic .1uF or larger. (The small ceramic responds to high frequencies better).  Even better is a coil in series before the caps.  Something in the mH range or larger.  They work together to make a great low pass filter.

Very simple but not as effective are the clamp on ferrite shields.  You see these all the time on modern electronics close to the connector.  You can buy them at radio shack.

It may be as simple as rerouting your power wire where it does not pick up noise as easy.  Also keep it as short as possible.  

Try a different ground point and make sure you have a good connection.  You could be picking up noise through the frame.

It could be a mechanical vibration problem with your electronics, Amp, mp3 player, whatever your using.  Try isolating them with some foam.

Also make sure all your connections are good and protected from vibration.

Watch my motorcycle videos at Live Video
http://www.livevideo.com/joeh100
  IP Logged
feelinjunky

No Comment

NJ
Reply #7 - 05/12/08 at 20:36:08

Quote:
It may be as simple as rerouting your power wire where it does not pick up noise as easy.  Also keep it as short as possible.

I think that's what I'd put my money on. I only routed the power to the brake light because that was the closest to my saddle bags. I think I'll re-route the wire to somwhere under the seat, but I don't know where...where is the best, lowest noise source of power?

Quote:
Try a different ground point and make sure you have a good connection.  You could be picking up noise through the frame.

Noise through the frame would be the only possibility. I could put a parallel capacitor with the power to the amp, but I'm pretty sure the amp ALREADY HAS an internal capacitor for precicely this reason.

Quote:
It could be a mechanical vibration problem with your electronics, Amp, mp3 player, whatever your using.  Try isolating them with some foam.

I've ruled out the possibility of vibration because the temporary silence happend ONLY at 3k rpm, and nowhere else. Mechanical vibration would show symptoms at different RPM's as well, especially high RPM's. Since I was listening to ACDC at 5k rpm on the highway with MASSIVE vibration, i've ruled this possibility out.

IP Logged
evilolive
YaBB Newbies

Live free or die

Asheville, NC
Reply #8 - 05/13/08 at 04:44:02

Rather than deal with external speakers, I went to Helmet Audio.com and bought speakers for inside the helmet.  Works excellent w/ MP3 player.  Mini amps also available for about $50.

IP Logged
joeh100

http://www.livevideo
.com/joeh100

Cent. Alabama
Reply #9 - 05/13/08 at 11:10:59

Quote:
I could put a parallel capacitor with the power to the amp, but I'm pretty sure the amp ALREADY HAS an internal capacitor for precicely this reason.
It only has the smallest amount necessary.  I use this fix all the time.  Alternator noise needs huge amounts of capacitance to filter out.  Keep in mind it won't fix common mode noise, you'll need a bucking choke to filter that, but shielded wire is cheaper.  
Quote:
I've ruled out the possibility of vibration because the temporary silence happend ONLY at 3k rpm, and nowhere else. Mechanical vibration would show symptoms at different RPM's as well, especially high RPM's. Since I was listening to ACDC at 5k rpm on the highway with MASSIVE vibration, i've ruled this possibility out.
Actually it could be mechanical resonance that only gives you a problem at 3K.

Are you hearing any noise in the speakers at different speeds?  If not the problem is not coming from the amp but is coming from the mp3 player.  They're not made to handle dirty power.

Another easy fix is a resistive spark plug cap, if the noise is coming from the ignition system.

Watch my motorcycle videos at Live Video
http://www.livevideo.com/joeh100
  IP Logged
feelinjunky

No Comment

NJ
Reply #10 - 05/13/08 at 18:03:45

Quote:
Quote:
Actually it could be mechanical resonance that only gives you a problem at 3K.

Are you hearing any noise in the speakers at different speeds?  If not the problem is not coming from the amp but is coming from the mp3 player.  They're not made to handle dirty power.

Another easy fix is a resistive spark plug cap, if the noise is coming from the ignition system.

Regardless of speed, the stereo turns off at 3k rpm when riding. No other noise is heard, except just before it turns off...a little rattle, like the sound of an unclear radio station...

I also forgot to mention that when the bike is in neutral and the engine is revved to ANY rpm (including 3k rpm), the stereo DOES NOT turn off, so it can't be resonance, therfore the mp3 player isn't the problem. I've also tried other mp3 players (friend's ipod) with same result.

While rummaging through my old electronics, I found a nice 3300 uF 25 Volt capacitor. I'll put it in parallel this weekend and see if it solves the problem.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 10:26:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage Stereo with Pics

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.