Send Topic Print
Hard Starting (Read 162 times)
gaillarry
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hard Starting
05/10/08 at 17:04:31

Getting my 86 to start is a time consuming process, takes about 5 attempts until it finally starts, sometimes more.  Once it starts and warms up, it restarts no problem.

I adjusted the valves, & checked the decompression setting.  Today I pulled the carbs and found they needed cleaning.  Some of the jets were plugged.  All the parts are soaking in carb cleaner for the night.

I noticed the float bowl has some small holes in it, what are they for?

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Re: Hard Starting
Reply #1 - 05/10/08 at 19:58:56

Hopefully the plural of "carbs" is a typo as our dear Savages only have on carb. Be more specific about the holes in the float bowl please so we can help you. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 05/10/08 at 21:09:09

Holes? In the float? If you stick it in gas & see bubbles, thats baaad. If you shake it & hear stuff shaking in the float, that's Baaaad.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
gaillarry
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/11/08 at 05:29:56

I should have said passages not holes.  If you look at the pic you can see two passages in the bottom of the bowl.  They must be for feeding fuel somehow.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #4 - 05/11/08 at 09:53:31

Bowl drain. You should have a small screw on the bottom of the outside of the bowl, that is to drain the bowl prior to removing it.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
gaillarry
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/12/08 at 18:42:54

Cleaned the carb, got it all back together.  Now it leaks.  In the pic I have the carb clamped in a vertical position, with a fuel line from my portable gas tank.

When I open the fuel line, fuel flows to the carb and the carb begins to pour gas out of the overflow tubes.  When I turn off the fuel supply, the leaking stops and the fuel line will show gas in the line. I have the carb sitting for a few hours and still shows gas in the line but not leaking - UNTIL I add more fuel to the line?? I'm baffled.

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #6 - 05/12/08 at 18:48:29

When you close the valve on the tank, doesn't that stop the fuel from running down the line, due to the vacuum created?  Kind of like sticking your finger on the end of a straw and drawing liquid out of the glass?  That doesn't tell you diddly about what might be wrong with the carb, but it might explain why the fuel sits in the line.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
gaillarry
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/12/08 at 18:51:34

Your'e right, when I close the fuel supply there's  no pressure to push more fuel through.

I guess the only way to really check is to put the carb back on the bike, although there must be an easier way to check.

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #8 - 05/12/08 at 19:13:10

I'm a newbie, and won't give out advice, but the symptoms (leaking carb when fuel is being gravity-fed) sound alot like many threads on the site that discuss the whole petcock problem.  Absent any ideas from one of the folks that know what they are talking about, I would treat it like a bad petcock and do a search of the site.  That will lead you to discussions of carb trouble.

Based ONLY on what I've read here, it sounds like your float is either not floating, or your needle isn't seating.  My opinion and fifty cents will get you a cup of coffee, though so...

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #9 - 05/12/08 at 20:01:02

Sandy suggested and I'll bet he is correct. "Based ONLY on what I've read here, it sounds like your float is either not floating, or your needle isn't seating.  My opinion and fifty cents will get you a cup of coffee, though so..." Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
gaillarry
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 05/13/08 at 01:52:11

I suspect the same thing. I put the float in a bowl of gas and it floated so no leaks in the float.  The needle looks worn, so time to replace it and the valve seat.  Darn things are pricey from Suz $35.00

IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #11 - 05/13/08 at 02:23:03

See Lancer for needle valves and seats.  I think he has 'em for $15?

Because I can!
  IP Logged
gaillarry
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 05/13/08 at 02:32:32

Thanks, just sent him an email.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print