Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
So what IS IT about this seat? (Read 1019 times)
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: So what IS IT about this seat?
Reply #30 - 05/14/08 at 17:33:13

One of the reasons the seat aren't that good is the foam isn't very thick to keep the seat low.1/2 inch more and a 1 inch wider would make lot of difference.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #31 - 05/14/08 at 19:15:40

I've gone about 1 inch thicker and 3 inches wider.  It feels very comfortable when I sit on it.  I still have to cover it which should be quite the show.  I've never sewed much.  I like the look of the shape of it, but hope it doesn't look absurdly huge once it's on the bike.  Right now, it's that bright blue, so it's difficult to visualize the final result (at least for my eye.)  Here's what it looks like so far:

That's on the parts bike, so there are a few other missing pieces.  I'm shaving the back seat down as well, so they will (hopefully) line up a little better.  I don't like that hump, and now my passenger has her own bike.  I thought about making them one piece, but it just seemed like more work than it was worth.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #32 - 05/14/08 at 19:37:07

That looks real good and to do think the hard part is the cover.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #33 - 05/14/08 at 22:45:25

How did you make it wider?? I'd love to know!

It does look like its going to be comfortable!!  Wow,a comfortable savage seat sounds almost unreal  Shocked

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
Texasphotographer
YaBB Newbies

Old is better than
the alternative

Copperas Cove, Texas
Reply #34 - 05/16/08 at 20:37:11

FreeSpirit wrote on 05/10/08 at 19:36:35:
Just a few thoughts....

Corbin seat may be perfect....just hear alot of good things about them.No actual experience though.

More people than the Savage owners complain of their seat and are continuously trying to find/make the perfert seat.Again,sometimes its overall seating position.
!

My next door neighbor has a 2007 Goldwing and recently installed a Corbin seat.  He has driven to North Carolina and up to New England and back twice in the past 6 months and has not complained about a sore butt.

I am 69. Need I say more
WWW   IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #35 - 05/16/08 at 21:53:54

Free Spirit, I just took one of those 1/2 inch thick blue foam sleeping bag pads and cut out six identical pieces with the shape I wanted for the sides.  Then I used DAP contact cement to glue them in place, three to a side.  

I'm not sure how this is going to turn out.  It IS going to be comfortable, but if the pod people don't come down and implant some sewing knowledge in my brain while I sleep tonight, it IS also going to be ugly as sin.  I have all the vinyl cut, and with them sitting loose on the seat, it definitely has potential.  But I can't figure out how to line them up for sewing.  The old cover couldn't be used as a pattern because it was way to small to fit over the new seat.  Also, the seat is shaped a lot different now.

If I get it right, I'll put up a series of photos showing what I did, along with what I did wrong and had to do again.  If I lick this sewing issue, I'd say this project would rate about a 4 on the difficulty scale.  None of the work is strenuous.  It's just the planning and learning that is making it tough.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #36 - 05/16/08 at 22:24:23

Put the panels on the foam inside out.  Use straight pins to tack the panels together.  I would hand sew them together even if you had a machine unless you were real comfortable in using it.

WWW   IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #37 - 05/16/08 at 23:38:58

Sandy Koocanusa wrote on 05/16/08 at 21:53:54:
Free Spirit, I just took one of those 1/2 inch thick blue foam sleeping bag pads and cut out six identical pieces with the shape I wanted for the sides.  Then I used DAP contact cement to glue them in place, three to a side.  

I'm not sure how this is going to turn out.  It IS going to be comfortable, but if the pod people don't come down and implant some sewing knowledge in my brain while I sleep tonight, it IS also going to be ugly as sin.  I have all the vinyl cut, and with them sitting loose on the seat, it definitely has potential.  But I can't figure out how to line them up for sewing.  The old cover couldn't be used as a pattern because it was way to small to fit over the new seat.  Also, the seat is shaped a lot different now.

If I get it right, I'll put up a series of photos showing what I did, along with what I did wrong and had to do again.  If I lick this sewing issue, I'd say this project would rate about a 4 on the difficulty scale.  None of the work is strenuous.  It's just the planning and learning that is making it tough.

Thanks for info....I hope it turns out good for you!! Does that cement hold good? In making wider I always thought the pan would have to be wider(in some way/form),but...that was just my thinking/not really knowing how to do it Embarrassed

You could take some thin cloth and try to fit it to the seat/making a (homemade) pattern for it,making it a little loose to make up for the leather thickness! Then transfer the pattern to the leather!?!

Getting it sewn? Sometimes there are people who do sewing on the side that may have a proper sewing machine and do it for you cheap.

Just ideas(not that you need them),trying to help. Best of luck! I bet it is going to be comfy and look good as well Wink

Can't wait to see the pictures!! Grin

Oh,just thought....SavageWahine uses a regular sewing machine(dont know if your wife has one or not) and just uses a bigger needle in it for sewing leather!!! Maybe that would take care of the sewing part!

(Just throwing out ideas in case something may make sense and be of help,but sounds like youre doing a fantastic job!)

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #38 - 05/17/08 at 07:55:25

Once I figured out how to wind a bobbin (haven't used a machine since 7th grade Home-economics) the Singer my wife has worked great.  For those of you who don't know, the bobbin is the muffler bearing of the sewing world, I think.  I put an upholstery needle in the machine.  This is marine vinyl instead of leather, so I think it's easier to penetrate.  

The difficulty is in the fact that the top edge of the side skirts is not flat.  The seat has noticeable contours, which I followed with the shape of the sides.  Trying to match that line to the top piece, which bends along the horizontal axis, is like trying to shove an earthworm up a bobcat's butt.  Everything keeps moving around and bunching up.  There is considerable activity involved, but not much in the way of success. Smiley

As to whether the glue is strong enough to hold without support from the pan?  I'm not sure yet.  I think so.  I tried modifying the pan with cedar strips, but that didn't, uhm, pan out for me.  So I beveled the bottom layers, making each one slightly higher in hopes that they will transfer weight toward the existing pan.  I am not qualified to engineer a cheese sandwich without blueprints, so only time (and perhaps someone on here who knows about that stuff) will tell.  I also hope to end up with tight enough vinyl to help with support a little.

Gotta go put some shingles on the motorcycle shed, now that the rain has stopped.  Go figure.  I'll work on the seat again tonight and report back.

FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #39 - 05/17/08 at 17:58:02

LOL....Well we do learn from experience,so I'm sure with this new experience you'll learn alot...and master the sewing Wink It does sound a bit challenging!  Smiley

I realized after my last post that if you could get the seat cover tight enough it should help support the sides. Good luck! We'll enjoy the pics,I'm sure with your imagination you'll be able to do it Wink

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #40 - 05/17/08 at 20:12:25

The front seat is finished and installed.  Here are some pics.  My son, the budding photographer, got a little closer than I would have liked, but I think you can see the difference in my posture.  I rode into town and back and was WAY more comfortable.  I'll take a long ride tomorrow and see how it goes, but I think I'll be happy.

The next on will be much easier, now that I've figured out the tricky stuff to some extent.  If I'd paid a pro to do this job and it looked like it does, I'd be some hacked off.  But for an amateur, I don't think it came out too bad.  Total cost was about $19.00 worth of materials.

Now to cover the pillion.

FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #41 - 05/17/08 at 21:12:18

Wow....looks great!! Was the sewing hard?

You did a great job!

And....yes, your posture "before" was not good,just like me ,with my long legs,my knees are a bit higher than my lap Sad

But your posture is so much improved!!

Hope it is just right for you.Got to have comfort when riding Wink
Do you feel the extra width?

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #42 - 05/17/08 at 21:51:10

Lining it up for sewing was tough.  I broke down and enlisted my wife's two good hands.  Between us, we managed to hold things where we needed them and get it pinned in place.  Then she supervised and assisted with running the sewing machine.  I think she was worried that I'd break it.  Wink

I definitely feel the extra width.  It is awesome how much difference 1 1/2 inches per side makes.  Any wider, and I'd have a little trouble putting my feet flat on the ground, but this is perfect.  Also, shaving down the back to allow me to sit back farther helped.  My trunk/backrest stops me now, but that's o.k.  Any farther and I'd be adjusting handle bars next.  

So far, the only downside I've seen is the slight increase in vibration.  I think the denser foam must transmit more.  Still, I'd rather have that than the pain from before.

FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #43 - 05/18/08 at 00:24:47

Sandy Koocanusa wrote on 05/17/08 at 21:51:10:
Lining it up for sewing was tough.  I broke down and enlisted my wife's two good hands.  Between us, we managed to hold things where we needed them and get it pinned in place.  Then she supervised and assisted with running the sewing machine.  I think she was worried that I'd break it.  Wink

I definitely feel the extra width.  It is awesome how much difference 1 1/2 inches per side makes.  Any wider, and I'd have a little trouble putting my feet flat on the ground, but this is perfect.  Also, shaving down the back to allow me to sit back farther helped.  My trunk/backrest stops me now, but that's o.k.  Any farther and I'd be adjusting handle bars next.  

So far, the only downside I've seen is the slight increase in vibration.  I think the denser foam must transmit more.  Still, I'd rather have that than the pain from before.

I agree,could take the vibration better than the pain!

The sewing and getting it right still seems pretty hard,to me.I'm going to practice alot on scrap vinyl Smiley

So....are you going to start customizing MC seats? Bet it would be a pretty good business Wink

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #44 - 05/18/08 at 02:42:01

BTW....I just saw a Engine Guard on ebay for your wife's bike! Right now it is $50.00,dont know how much they cost originally/new and...dont know how high this one will sell for in the end.

Just thought I'd mention it  Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 20:25:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › So what IS IT about this seat?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.