Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
So what IS IT about this seat? (Read 1019 times)
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Re: So what IS IT about this seat?
Reply #15 - 05/10/08 at 23:49:00

A lot of the seat problem is that the foam just sucks.

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
ALittlebird

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Louisville, KY
Reply #16 - 05/11/08 at 02:38:18

I'm not very  big and have shortish legs and that seat is uncomfortable to me so I can imagine it would be bad for you guys.

It pitches my hips the wrong way so I tend to get lower back ache if I'm on it for long periods. So I'm looking at some further mod to fix that.

Sat on a Kawasaki Eliminator all day yesterday for the MSF course and my back was fine. It does have better foam. And even though the seat is shaped similar to the savage for some reason it worked better. Not quite as scooped.

I'm also thinking that the previous owner of my savage was perhaps rather heavier than I and the seat is just worn down. New foam I guess.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #17 - 05/11/08 at 03:49:37

Did anyone look up the seat in Dennis Kirk?

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #18 - 05/11/08 at 07:57:25

I looked at it.  It looks nice, but is about $290 more than I can spend right now.  I started modifying my existing seat yesterday.  It's my first attempt at any kind of seat manufacture or upholstery, so it ought to be interesting.  So far, I'm having fun at it.  Taking bunches of pictures, in case it turns out well.  Maybe someone will want a step by step.

If it looks like Peewee Herman's bike seat when I'm done, the pictures will mysteriously vanish due to a Windows system error.  It's been comedic, to say the least.  Being a carpenter, I had visions of building a wooden pan.  In the tech section on that idea it should say "don't."  

At the moment I have a huge foam contraption sitting on the bike ready for carving, rasping, shaping of some sort.  It isn't pretty, YET, but it feels pretty nice to sit on.

On the other hand, maybe someone here knows something about shaping foam that can stop me before I get in trouble.  Any experts out there?

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #19 - 05/11/08 at 09:06:32

I took a stock seat and cut it down once for my wife used her electric knife, The seat had a lot more foam than a s40 seat. I read once that they used a router to cut foam,I was a carpenter too.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #20 - 05/11/08 at 09:26:52

Hadn't thought about the router.  If I ever do this again, I will definitely try the table saw and possibly a jigsaw.  We use the table saw for Thermax all the time, but that is pretty dense stuff, and doesn't melt easilly.  It would be worth the experiment.  

I have it all mocked up now, and am going outside to glue the panels together, so any further shaping is going to be along the lines of carving, instead of cutting out great hunks of material.  I'm going to try a rasp or a Surform (used on sheetrock edges), but I suspect the foam isn't dense enough and will probably just shred.  The good news (I hope) is that I get to wrap this thing in shiny black vinyl when it's all over with, so any little flaws should be hidden.

Here's what it looks like at the moment:

We shall see...

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #21 - 05/11/08 at 09:36:39

I would think the outside edge could be a little higher if possible.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #22 - 05/11/08 at 09:54:40

Yeah.  That's actually a poor photo.  I'm using one of those sleeping bag pads, and it has been rolled up tightly since birth.  I'm having a devil of a time keeping it in the shape I want.  It keeps trying to roll back up.  When it is all pressed down tight, that top layer "swoops" the other direction, though to a lesser degree than pictured.  Another thing I would do differently next time is to pay more attention to which direction the sheet is laying when I make my cuts.  Try to get my curves right.

Once I have this mess all glued together, I'm going to sit on it one more time and see how it feels.  I'd like to add a final top layer to tie everything together, but I think it's going to be too tall for that.

Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #23 - 05/12/08 at 08:56:39

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #24 - 05/12/08 at 17:56:43

Thanks, Gary.  Lots of good ideas in there.  I'm going to go try a sander on the foam right now.  I hadn't thought of that one.  If it works, one of my problems will be solved.

FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #25 - 05/13/08 at 20:18:40

I looked up the Corbin seat online.

It has comfort cell foam, whatever that is(the comfort part, I mean)

And....it is shaped kinda like a "spoon",which is suppose to be more comfortable! Which makes sense to me Wink

It takes the pressure off the tailbone and spreads the seating pressure more evenly across.

I may try to carve out some of the foam on mine, spoon shape with the front rising up some Smiley More saddle shape.

(What I do wonder is....if the sportster seat will fit the savage,why wouldnt the corbin sportster seat fit? or will it?) Undecided

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #26 - 05/13/08 at 20:51:07

Part of the problem with our seat is the shape.  It lifts up in the back to keep us from loosing the bike.   Smiley  WooHoo!
Now maybe if we take a lession from the pedal pushers of the world and releave the center it might be more comfortable.
I like the direction sandy is going but who was it that just sold their seat that looked really cool and he said it was comfortable?  It looked high in the center and drooped on either side.

WWW   IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #27 - 05/13/08 at 21:00:25

verslagen1 wrote on 05/13/08 at 20:51:07:
Part of the problem with our seat is the shape.  It lifts up in the back to keep us from loosing the bike.   Smiley  WooHoo!
Now maybe if we take a lession from the pedal pushers of the world and releave the center it might be more comfortable.

Keeps us from losing the bike or keeps us from flying off of it?? Wink

But....isnt what you described (relieving the center)a spoon shape??Undecided

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #28 - 05/13/08 at 21:21:56

FreeSpirit wrote on 05/13/08 at 21:00:25:
Keeps us from losing the bike or keeps us from flying off of it?? Wink
But....isnt what you described (relieving the center)a spoon shape??Undecided

Nothing will keep you from flying off on bumps ( I got a serious bump on the way home, either me and the bike do a little hop or I'm standing) but your own hands, but twist the grip and your but goes sliding!  That sudden snap when you run out of arms could wring your hands free.  Can you say... be otch bar?  Someone told me they had to sell their bike cause they kept dropping the misses.   Grin

No I meant tailbone and that other bone releif like in the bike seats.

WWW   IP Logged
NikoruWiriamu
YaBB Newbies

Auburndale, Florida
Reply #29 - 05/14/08 at 17:19:53

:'(

Hmm. I wish I could afford a new fancy seat. I'm 5"5, and not telling my weight. But, I went down on my b/f's bike, and hurt my tail bone. For two months I couldn't bare to ride my baby at all, and then I eventually started to ride again, but couldn't go more than 30 minutes without being in terrible pain. Here it is, almost 1.5-2 years later, and now I'm okay to go on 1-2 hour rides.

The coccyx isn't something to take lightly. I wish seats were designed with those in pain, before they roll them off of the show room floor. That way, those in pain and those who are healthy will be happy. Win-win, no?

Bah.

Hopefully, you will have great success!

NikoruWiriamu   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 20:43:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › So what IS IT about this seat?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.