Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
H.D. Cop seat with springs, installed. (Read 468 times)
Gort
Ex Member

H.D. Cop seat with springs, installed.
05/09/08 at 18:48:35

I've installed a H.D. Cop seat on my '96 Savage.  

http://www.bikepics.com/members/gort/96savage/

The bike was not cut, drilled or welded on.  The entire seat assembly can be unbolted and removed, and the bike returned to original.

The Cop seat sits higher than the stock seat.  This allows for spring travel, and has to do with the length of the springs.  Shorter springs would bring the seat closer to the ground.  As you can see, my feet are flat on the ground, and I can reach the handlebars and pedals comfortably.  I am 5'7" with a 30" inseam, and weigh 175 lbs.

I did this because I have bad discs in my back and neck, and can't ride more than 30 minutes on the stock Savage seat without pain.  So far, I've put 3 hours on the cop seat with no pain. I've since parked it and am making other mods, as you may notice in the pics.

I took digital pics of every step of the fabrication, along with measurements.  The springs, hardware and metal came from  Lowes Home and Garden, the rest of the parts came from Ebay.  You need a drill, some drill bits, a hacksaw and there is some simple welding to do, but not to the Savage.

Anyone who wants to try this need only email me and I will return email you the details, with the assembly pics.

IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Re: H.D. Cop seat with springs, installed.
Reply #1 - 05/09/08 at 18:52:51

Looking good, Gort....about how much spring travel is there.???

Because I can!
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/09/08 at 19:00:13

Toymaker wrote on 05/09/08 at 18:52:51:
Looking good, Gort....about how much spring travel is there.???

It would depend on your weight,  I am 175lbs and just sitting there, they compress about 1 inch, I would guess.  They will not bottom out riding, nor if I bounce up and down as hard as I can while sitting still.   I may take them off and put them in a kiln at 700 degrees for 1 hour, which will soften them for more spring.  But I need to ride it more, to see how I feel about that.

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/09/08 at 23:21:54

I forgot to mention....total cost for everything came in under $75.00.

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/12/08 at 11:41:14

So far 2 Savage riders have contacted me and I'm taking them through the conversion process, step by step.  Anyone who wants to do it to their Savage, need only email me.  Once the seat is converted, the bike will have no room for a rear seat.  It will be a strictly one rider bike.

IP Logged
ebmiller2

Bel Air, MD
Reply #5 - 05/13/08 at 08:30:08

Hi!  I am one of the two Savage riders to which Gort is referring. I happened to have a HD Police seat in my garage and was wondering how to mount it. When I saw Gort's offer of assistance, I just couldn't pass it up.  Over the past several days Gort has sent me five e-mails containing wonderful pictures and detailed instructions on how to do the install.  Gort is a great technical writer.  I want to take this opportunity to thank him publicly for all of the time and effort he took to provide me with this wealth of information.  If you need help installing a spring mounted seat, Gort's the man.  Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
Prophet_10

TANSTAAFL

Dekalb, IL
Reply #6 - 05/14/08 at 07:25:24

ebmiller2 wrote on 05/13/08 at 08:30:08:
Over the past several days Gort has sent me five e-mails containing wonderful pictures and detailed instructions on how to do the install.  Gort is a great technical writer.  

Just curious - so why don't you just post this stuff to the tech section?

WWW   IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05/14/08 at 08:18:23

Prophet_10 wrote on 05/14/08 at 07:25:24:
Over the past several days Gort has sent me five e-mails containing wonderful pictures and detailed instructions on how to do the install.  Gort is a great technical writer.  

There are 27 pics explaining all the steps.  In the past, I've had trouble even posting 1 pic.  I investigated and received a reply stating that the host server's space was filled to capacity.  This seems to vary depending on how many pics the readers have posted.  Since Suzuki Savage.Com's server space is obviously limited, it would be selfish for me to use it all up with 27 of my pics, especially when I wasn't invited to do so.  So instead I offer to email everything to those who are interested.  I ask them up front what kind of Internet service they have (Dial Up, DSL or Cable Modem), so I know how many pics to send at a time so as not to overwhelm their capacity to view them.

IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #8 - 05/14/08 at 11:19:57

Arthur wrote on 05/14/08 at 08:18:23:

There are 27 pics explaining all the steps.  In the past, I've had trouble even posting 1 pic.  I investigated and received a reply stating that the host server's space was filled to capacity.  This seems to vary depending on how many pics the readers have posted.  Since Suzuki Savage.Com's server space is obviously limited, it would be selfish for me to use it all up with 27 of my pics, especially when I wasn't invited to do so.  So instead I offer to email everything to those who are interested.  I ask them up front what kind of Internet service they have (Dial Up, DSL or Cable Modem), so I know how many pics to send at a time so as not to overwhelm their capacity to view them.

Post the pics on bikepics (or some other free pic site) and link them.

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 05/14/08 at 11:39:04

Gary On A Savage wrote on 05/14/08 at 11:19:57:
Arthur wrote on 05/14/08 at 08:18:23:

Post the pics on bikepics (or some other free pic site) and link
them.

Its not that simple.  Each set of pics require detailed instructions.  The instructions vary depending on the weight of the rider.  Some people ask me specific questions about a certain aspect of the instructions, to which I sometimes have to re-take a pic from a different perspective, as well as explain it in a different way. Throwing up 27+ pics on BikePic would be confusing.  Its very easy to just email me and get personalized instructions.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 05/14/08 at 11:55:52

I hope you send to Greg so he can include it on his next cd.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 05/14/08 at 12:51:41

verslagen1 wrote on 05/14/08 at 11:55:52:

I could have easily put this on CD and offered it for sale.
This seat assembly practically eliminates felt road shock, and is probably going to be utilized by those riders who limit their riding due to felt pain and discomfort.  I refuse to make money off the backs of riders like that, especially in these days where people are struggling to make ends meet.  This info is free to anyone who requests it.  And when the 'how to' post is gone in the archives and I see a newbie asking for seat options, I will reply with a pic of what I did and offer the info to him for free.

IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reply #12 - 05/14/08 at 15:54:11

Arthur wrote on 05/14/08 at 12:51:41:
verslagen1 wrote on 05/14/08 at 11:55:52:

I could have easily put this on CD and offered it for sale.
This seat assembly practically eliminates felt road shock, and is probably going to be utilized by those riders who limit their riding due to felt pain and discomfort.  I refuse to make money off the backs of riders like that, especially in these days where people are struggling to make ends meet.  This info is free to anyone who requests it.  And when the 'how to' post is gone in the archives and I see a newbie asking for seat options, I will reply with a pic of what I did and offer the info to him for free.

Good on ya!

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
Bear_Rider

Reply #13 - 05/14/08 at 16:18:07

Gort,

I have a web site upon which I can host these pictures. This is off topic for my site, but we can set it up so that it is a series of web pages that can be accessed directly via a given path, so that it doesn't appear to my normal business flow. I will help you put it together if you wish.

My motives here are not entirely altruistic. I am considering such a mod myself, and what better way to learn the ins and outs?  Grin

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 05/14/08 at 17:28:05

Bear_Rider wrote on 05/14/08 at 16:18:07:
Gort,

I have a web site upon which I can host these pictures. This is off topic for my site, but we can set it up so that it is a series of web pages that can be accessed directly via a given path, so that it doesn't appear to my normal business flow. I will help you put it together if you wish.

My motives here are not entirely altruistic. I am considering such a mod myself, and what better way to learn the ins and outs?  Grin

I'll send everything to whatever email address you send me.  You can then do what you want with it.  As I've said before, this material is free to anyone who wants it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 04:34:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › H.D. Cop seat with springs, installed.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.