Send Topic Print
I put a new muff on. (Read 534 times)
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
I put a new muff on.
05/07/08 at 17:32:22

and GEEZE it is loud...but I LIKE it.  J & P sell it.. it is the shorty slash cut.

Easy to install and I already have noticed a bit more powwer.  I am hoping that my mileage will go up a bit too. Grin

Because I can!
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: I put a new muff on.
Reply #1 - 05/07/08 at 18:43:41

Adjusted the carb to match right?

IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #2 - 05/07/08 at 19:23:02

absolutely.....

Did that first..........rejetted...etc.

woohoo!

Because I can!
  IP Logged
joebothehobo

Ride like a ghost.

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #3 - 05/07/08 at 19:36:31

post us a pic!

'91 Suzuki GS500E
'98 Subaru Outback.
Robertomoe is my bro.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #4 - 05/07/08 at 19:43:50

I wasn't sure I would like the loud.  Well.... after several months now, I don't mind the loud.  I do notice that sometimes I try to be quite (going by a horse farm on the daily commute  Lips Sealed ) .... but other times I do tend to show off and give it a rev or WOT...  like today on commute home (80 deg's finally here east-side PA) and I was sitting at a light and a big harley comes up from behind.  He gave a rev with his drag pipes.    One rev back and his head snapped.... and he was looking over his windshield .... what was that noise from the little bike.   Grin

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #5 - 05/08/08 at 04:12:38

I understand completely about TRYING to be quiet.  I leave the house a little before 6 each morning.  I tried very hard not to be loud around the neighbors.  Once I was on the highway though.................

BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Cheesy Grin Shocked

Because I can!
  IP Logged
jomiyo

Thump or Bump!

Elmira, NY
Reply #6 - 05/08/08 at 05:33:37

I used to have a daily commute past a horse farm.  On my way home from putting on the jardine i passed it, without even thinking about anything.    (i still haven't done the spacer mod)    Baaabooooom     i scared the horsey a little bit.      

i swear he could have made it over the fence

'07 s40, White spacer removed, Jardine muffler, iron cross mirrors, Ed-L +4" controls, under seat bags- only on for trips, and 1 happy nut in the seat!
  IP Logged
rpgpgmr

Huntington, WV
Reply #7 - 05/08/08 at 10:07:58

Toymaker, question.  What jet sizes did you use when you re-jetted?  I switched to a 55 pilot and 155 main and it is backfiring worse than it ever has.  I checked for exhaust leaks and she's air-tight from head pipe to muffler.  Also been playing with the idle mix screw.  Nothing will cure the backfiring on shifting (up AND down) or shut-off.  I think I'm gonna drop back to the stock 52.5 pilot and then down to the 150 main.  If you're not having the backfire problem, I'd really like to know your jets.

My mods:

new muffler
white-spacer mod (1 #4 washer)
K & N air filter
155 main jet
55 pilot jet

2005 Suzuki Boulevard S40
2007 Yamaha V-Star Classic
  IP Logged
punkid33
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/08/08 at 11:23:24

Toymaker,
Which exact model on j&p?
I saw a few.

Can you post the link?

Also how did you install? Tips Techniques?

Thanks,

IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #9 - 05/08/08 at 13:57:50

ok.Jet sizes.  Same as yours--55 and 155.  I still have about a third of a white spacer.  I didn't mike it last time it was out.  I was still backfiring until I put the new muff on.  I am using the stock airbox and filter.

As to model of muff..here's the link
http://www.jpcycles.com/productdetail.aspx?PID=4500055&cs=Metric&GID=593B7A2F...

As far as  mounting, when I took the old stock muff off, I had a hard time getting the copper sleeve out.  I managed to mangle it a bit so that it didn't fit.  I had some metal pipe tape and I coiled it around and put it inside the muffler to help seal up the area.  After test fitting it a few times, I used the high temp red RTV silicon sealer and ran a big bead of the goo around the inside of the muff and slid the muff onto the pipe.  Used the muff clamp but ground the "ears" off of the one side so it would clamp tighter.  VOILA....one nasty-sounding Savage.  Oh and btw....I am now getting 58 mpg...10% more than before. Shocked Grin Smiley

Because I can!
  IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 05/09/08 at 09:33:33

When i put on my screamin chicken hawk, I re jetted with a 152.5 and 55, 1/2 spacer.  The end of the muffler has a light soot coating. Still a slight backfire on shutdown.  I haven't pulled the plug to check it yet.
I also made a new filter with more pleats than the stocker.  CUt down a fram 33xx and used silicone gasket maker to glue it to the stock frame.

IP Logged
rpgpgmr

Huntington, WV
Reply #11 - 05/09/08 at 11:45:35

Tonight I'm dropping back down to the 52.5 pilot, 152.5 main, 1/3 spacer (to tell the truth, I may completely remove the spacer).  I know that some people on here have advised against it, but some have also had success.  I'm sick of the BOOM on shut-down and I'm nearly ready for desperate measures ... it will be a game-time decision.  I have a single #4 washer in there now and that ain't workin'!  Will post my success/failure.

Gonna give the carb a good cleaning too ... even though it is only a year old.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 05/09/08 at 12:35:35

rpgpgmr wrote on 05/09/08 at 11:45:35:
I'm sick of the BOOM on shut-down

BOOM on shut down is due to either lean condition or an exhaust leak.
Because of the configuration of the supertrapp, I can lean out the idle to lancers instructions and not get a boom.  But I can get a good crackel/pop on shifts/decel.  And a nice boom when cycling the run/kill switch.

WWW   IP Logged
rpgpgmr

Huntington, WV
Reply #13 - 05/09/08 at 12:43:40

I checked the entire length of the exhaust with a lighter so I know it's not an exhaust leak.  Does the white-spacer have anything to do with completely closing the throttle?  I know that I don't have an exhaust leak and--with a 55 pilot and 155 main--I know I'm not running too lean.  That can only leave the spacer.  I have 1 #4 washer in there.  SERIOUSLY considering removing it altogether.

IP Logged
gar
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 05/10/08 at 15:57:18

Hey Guys I just put a Jardine slash cut on my 95 650 got it for 169+ ship and rejetted with 155 + 55 jets + gasket kit from EBay for $23+ ship. I had a cheap straight muff from JC Whitney and backfired and turned Blue,so I tossed it and NOW Bike ROARS!!!!!!!!!!!!! I picked up more HP and Now I can Ride like a BIG BOY with the NEW SOUND of this MUFF.  I also cleaned carb and did all adjustments  with airscrew too and I still get a little backfire when letting off gas. I was told 1 1/2 turns out on airscrew but made it backfire serious! I'm out about 3 to 3 1/2 turns and seems ok with a little bang now and then. I put in new K&N airfilter, new intake and exhaust gaskets, NO Exhaust leaks I can feel, I didn't do anything to plastic spacer as you guys talk about? because I don't know where they are, and what are they for? If you need info on where I got stuff good priced I'll send info

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:16:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I put a new muff on.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.