I put a new muff on. (Read 534 times)
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Re: I put a new muff on.
Reply #15 - 05/10/08 at 16:41:17

look in the tech section, under white spacer mod. RPG i say take out the spacer, it's not gonna cost ya anything but yer time.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
gar
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 05/10/08 at 17:31:35

Ya but other guys talking in this forum says that didn't make difference still had backfire. I got mine up and running today after all the mods I did so I think I'll  tinker with airjet screw to see if I can get it that way first. I just put it all back together and want to RIDE!!!!!!!!!! Been down for winter!

IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #17 - 05/10/08 at 18:47:19

I struggled with the shutdown/decel  backfire (anywhere from a dog fart to howitzer) until I replaced the petcork vacuum hose and set the idle circuit.

I dont know how many turns, I just kept bumping it slightly richer at stoplights until I got the low pitched growling on decel.

I used fuel line for the vac hose, that took 10 minutes and cost $2. It took about a week or two to get idle circuit right. I keep a small screwdriver  in the pocket of my riding jacket just for tweaking the  idle. After a couple of days, I didn't even have to look for the screw, my hands just knew right where to go.

I'm stock jets, muffler and spacer. Since then, I never had a backfire, but I have developed the weird habit of reaching down to the carb at every stoplight Smiley

HTH

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
gar
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 05/10/08 at 18:54:49

NOW that's FUNNY Grin The petcock Vacuum Line? Is this like a Muffler bearing? Where the hell is this vacuum line and why would this make it backfire? Shocked I've read a lot on carb settings and this plastic washer thing but never heard of this problem B4 Undecided Smiley

IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #19 - 05/10/08 at 19:08:55

The petcork is a major source of problems, including backfiring, poor idle, low gas milage.  

There's a writeup here on how to convert it to Run-Res-Off just to eliminate these issues. It a few hours of work, but low cost.

The vac hose replacement is a quick fix that rules out a weak part.

The stock vac line to the petcork is basically a soda straw that wraps around the intake, runs along the head to the petcork. The throttle bumps in to it constantly, and over time, it develops cracks.

These cracks reduce the vac to the petcork, slowing the fuel flow and more air is allowed  thru these cracks in to the cyclinder making the engine run even leaner.

The backfiring increases in both frequency and volume to the point whenever you shut the thing down,  expect to see people duck for cover.

Yup, $2 of fuel line, some idle tweaking and no more backfiring.

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
rpgpgmr

Huntington, WV
Reply #20 - 05/13/08 at 07:01:12

Okay, have been screwing with my carb for days and have finally eliminated the dreaded backfire on shutdown.  I put the stock 52.5 pilot in there, a 150 main, and am running with about 1/4 white spacer.  My idle is low and smooth for the first time since I started tinkering with it a couple of months ago.

I do still have light to moderate puffs/backfires during shifting (up and down).  I'm gonna try richening up the idle mixture (I'm at 1.5 turns out now).  If that doesn't work I'm gonna go back up to the 55 pilot.  Am I on the right track?  ... probaby not  Grin

2005 Suzuki Boulevard S40
2007 Yamaha V-Star Classic
  IP Logged
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
Reply #21 - 06/24/08 at 19:27:42

If the vacuum line is causing the backfire would riding in the PRI position make the backfire less?  I'm thinking this since on PRI fuel flows by gravity.  Might be an easy way to test if the vacuum line is the issue.

IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #22 - 06/24/08 at 19:36:25

I run all the time on pri...not because I want to, but because I know the petcock is bad and I don't want to take the time to fix it in the off-run-res mode or buy a new one....that means less time to ride...

I just keep track of my mileage and fill up on the hundred mile mark.

Because I can!
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #23 - 06/24/08 at 23:36:01

I have mentioned before that I have a Jardine slash cut Muffler that I am trying to sell,it's just a tad to noisy for me,it is in perfect condition and comes with a jet kit and heat shield,and hardwear,it is a perfect fit
for our bike nothing else to buy,I will sell the whole kit and kaboodle for $100 ,you pay shipping,PM me if you are interested.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
88pagan

God is just an
imaginary friend for
adults..

Norco, California
Reply #24 - 06/27/08 at 11:35:15

I'm new to the savage world..picked one up to save the hundreds of $ my truck sucks up in gas every week. Been on here reading all your posts for days (the old lady is pissed!). Thanks to all of you for all your helpful info. I'm about to ditch this stock exhaust..

96 Bobber - Screamin Eagle, header wrap, K+N cone filter, jetted, straight bar w/1.5" risers, solo seat, Ed. L fwd ctrls, custom rear fender, TKat, Metallic charcoal and polished all over.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:14:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I put a new muff on.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.