Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ouch !!  Exhaust valve stem Broke at 80 MPH (Read 422 times)
Steve M

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ouch !!  Exhaust valve stem Broke at 80 MPH
05/07/08 at 07:30:28

At 80 mph engine died, hit kill switch and pulled in clutch, got recovered home. On inspection Spark plug electrode smashed. Shone light through plug hole and there was something sitting on top of the piston.

Strip cylinder head off to find one exhaust valve broken at foot of stem and the valve has smashed top of piston and gouged the inside of cylinder head.

Not the sort of thing you expect from an engine that has only done 19,669 miles especially a low revver like a savage.

This has never happened to me before and I have had loads of old bikes and cars over the last 30 odd years.

On inspectiuon the middle of the stem looks like there could be a mafacturing flaw that was impossible to see before stem broke.

Anyone else had this problem before?

I am buying a second hand engine to get bike back on road, should I fit new valves, or do you'se think I just been unlucky and had a 1 in a million stroke of bad luck? The replacement is costing me £400 (about $800 dollars so I don't want that wrecked as well!!!)

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Ouch !!  Exhaust valve stem Broke at 80 MPH
Reply #1 - 05/07/08 at 08:53:14

Question: was the cam chain intact?

WWW   IP Logged
Steve M

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/07/08 at 10:16:12

Yes cam cahin was still fine. Engine still turned np problem and internals all ok apart from damage to piston and bottom of cylinder head from the end of the valve when piston topped out.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #3 - 05/07/08 at 12:06:31

Several others had a valve die.

Question: Have you rejetted the carb??

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
Reply #4 - 05/07/08 at 12:37:36

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 05/07/08 at 12:06:31:

Are you thinking the engine was running lean and hotter than normal?

IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #5 - 05/07/08 at 14:04:27

Stock, our engine is WAY TOO LEAN which causes the headerpipe (downpipe) to turn blue. On carburated aircraft engine we usually run 50-100'F rich of peak with the help of an EGT (exhaust gas temp) gauge as not to cause exhaustvalve overheating which then causes valveseat burning which in turn heats the seat and stem even more to a degree of total valve failure. A little extra fuel cools the exhaust. You hardly ever hear if intakevalve failure. My header is still chromed like new at over 6000 miles, so I recommand that all our engines should get the carb-mod.

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #6 - 05/07/08 at 14:20:48

Keith_T wrote on 05/07/08 at 12:37:36:
T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 05/07/08 at 12:06:31:

Are you thinking the engine was running lean and hotter than normal?

Well....  the second question would be to ask if he had changed pipe or air fitler to a hi-perf type.........  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Steve M

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/07/08 at 15:31:11

THX for replies in so far guys.
being the 1988 model the carb was pre the lean white spacer model.
No plug over the idle screw which was at standard setting of 3 and 1/4 turns out, so I doubt that led to failure. Bike doing about 55mpg (English gallons), so about 44 mpg, (US gallons).

I hadn't thought of the exhaust.
The exhaust was not standard when I bought bike. It has a straight pipe, one piece, same diameter for it's entire length, with a baffle built in which you can see if you look into the end of the pipe. Don't know make of exhaust but it is to european legal standard as it has the EU stamp on it.

Air filter is standard.

Bike was idling real nice and running sweet with just the occasional pop on  over-run, and exhaust has some "blueing" near the cylinder head though I wouldn't say excessive. Perhaps I should run a larger main Jet?

I have replacement low milage engine o it's way from a breakers, which will be fitted using the existing exhaust and carb. So I don't want that to end up with the same problem.

Perhaps someone has an exhaust like mine and knows of better jet size than standard to use?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #8 - 05/07/08 at 18:45:09

sounds like a raask pipe

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #9 - 05/08/08 at 07:50:06

Steve M wrote on 05/07/08 at 15:31:11:
I have replacement low milage engine o it's way from a breakers, which will be fitted using the existing exhaust and carb. So I don't want that to end up with the same problem.

Perhaps someone has an exhaust like mine and knows of better jet size than standard to use?

Before you install the repl. engine I suggest you do the following inspection and repair.
1) Open the RH side cover to check the camchain, spanner and guides.
2) Remove headcover for check of the rockers, camshaft and -bearings. When you put the cover back on use your prefered sealant and don't forget to put sealant on the rubber plug.

It's also easier to adjust the vanve claerance when the engine is on the bench.

List is not complete but is what I did to my replacement engine among the obvious aas replacing the oil etc.

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Re: Ouch !!  Exhaust valve stem Broke at 80 M
Reply #10 - 05/08/08 at 14:08:01

Thinking like Reelthing, I suspect your pipe is a Raask; which is a good thing (wish I had one) as long as the carb is tuned properly to it.

As you do your re-assembly, take note of the carb adjustments and jetting, as there may be some tweaking you will want to do. For one thing, having to have your idle air/fuel screw out more than 3 turns makes me think you may need a larger jet in that circuit, and perhaps a larger main also. (Even despite the year of the bike, it's possible that someone else has been in there before and done god knows what to the carb. Better to go through it yourself and KNOW what you have in it!

Personally, being an air cooled engine and all, I prefer to run bikes a bit on the rich side for just the heating reasons someone else already stated. As long as plugs don't foul!

Good (better) luck!

John

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 05/08/08 at 22:04:28

how's about this one fellas.... I have a '95. When did they start with all that spacer/lean running junk? Should I dive into my carb? MPG is a priority for me. Coupled with the size, weight, and easy maint/reliability, I chose the Savage as a step up from my 250 Rebel. However MPG doesnt mean a whole lot if Im gunna have to replace my engine in 20k mi. Or even 40k mi as a matter of fact. I don't want a drag beast or a race bike. Just a relaible, fuel efficient, lightweight cruiser that can pass a semi on the interstate in less than 20 minutes....

« Last Edit: 05/08/08 at 23:18:16 by BurnPgh »  
  IP Logged
Steve M

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 05/09/08 at 01:13:35

THX for all this real good info guys.

I have an original Suzuki manul for 86 model with 87, 88, update info.
Also I have a clymer manual.

Both say my model has 155 main jet as standard and the US model has a 133 main jet!
So you folk in the US have a much leaner set up from the manufacturer.

It also says for my model (86 to 88) that the base setting for the idle jet screw, (which does not have a plug in it), is 3 and a 1/4 turns out.
The bike was idling nice at that setting and pulled away sweet.

I have checked the size of hole in my main jet and couldn't get a 1.5mm drill through it!!!

So when I bought mine it had a nice Raask exhaust on it, (I have looked at pictures on the net and it is a Raask), which is good.
But it seems whoever fitted it didn't put in a bigger jet, VERY BAD!

Something else I just thought of is that back in the days when this engine was designed we had lead added to our petrol, nowadays we have unleaded 95 octane in the UK which does run hotter than the old leaded used to!

So mine is gonna get a 165 main jet, with the same pilot / idle jet left in, as it must have been running far to lean at high throttle openings.

Just a thought for you chaps in the USA, over here the emissions are checked for car annual MOT checks, but motorcycles don't get tested for emmissions!
So we can jet richer than standard.

I don't know if the same applies to guys?

If I was in the USA knowing what I have dicovered from this thread I think I would run a bigger main jet and put up with a slightly reduced range, then if they do check emmisions over there put in a smaller jet just for the annual MOT, (or whatever it is you have ), and ride easy to the test station.

I am now convinced that my exhaust valve failed because the engine was running to lean when at high throttle openings, and I will be running richer with my replacement engine.

Thanks to all who have replied to this thread.

I think moral of this one is if you want to avoid the risk of losing an exhaust valve and trashing your engines piston and top end like happened to me, make sure your main jet is big enough. European spec that means at least a 155 main jet.

many thanks to all who have replied on this thread it has helped me suss what happened and I should be able to prevent a recurrence.
Might help others who read it as well.

IP Logged
rokrover
2005 No Login

torkenstein

SoCal
Reply #13 - 05/09/08 at 08:21:22

Another possibility is your valve clearance(s) were too tight.  The exhaust valve cools when seated and less seat time means more heat.  Once I siezed an exhaust valve in its guide running almost zero clearance.

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #14 - 05/09/08 at 16:51:52

I was just thinking..... You were running a 20 year old engine with 20,000 miles on the odometer at near full throttle for an extended period of time and you broke a valve.  Sounds to me that you were going to break something sooner or later anyway....  Thats a heck of a load to put on any engine, let alone one as old and well worn as yours..

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 02:32:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ouch !!  Exhaust valve stem Broke at 80 MPH

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.