YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Muff aggro - NEW QUESTION added
Reply #30 - 05/13/08 at 17:27:36

Go on back to the HD place, march right on past the salesman who said buy a real bike (fierce look, flip'em off if you want) go right back to the parts desk and ask for a take off from a dyna (no cross over).  Tell you're gonna beat it over the head of the salesman.  If he don't jump and grab you one, tell it's really for a project bike.  If'n you need to loosen him up a bit, ask him for p/n 710.  Black knob, with white letters.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #31 - 05/14/08 at 05:31:50

verslagen1 wrote on 05/13/08 at 17:27:36:
Go on back to the HD place, march right on past the salesman who said buy a real bike (fierce look, flip'em off if you want) go right back to the parts desk and ask for a take off from a dyna (no cross over).

Dude, no lie....I did that after work yesterday (before seeing your message) and here is what happened...

Upon arrival I asked for service/repair and ended up talking to the shop owner. I insisted the pipe I had on was a HD, despite the clear skeptisim from the service dept and owner.

He went out with me and looked at the bike ("is that a 250?" "no, a 650" "really?!") then at the muffler.  "ohh yeah, it says right on the pipe HD and an item number"...duh. Roll Eyes

Back into the stealership and he looks up the number. Its an 03 Dyna (no surprise). The surprise was this - he flat out refused to sell me one.

He said at first that he knew he had some "in the back" from people switching out to louder pipes, but then said he had no time to go looking for one. I looked around - the store is empty of customers. Like what - you're so busy you can't sell me a flipping pipe?!! Angry

He rudely told me that my bike was running lean (like I dont know this!?), and if I put a new pipe on, it would turn blue, so why did I want to bother with a new pipe...Ummm maybe because I want to replace the banged up one with a wrecked clamp that keeps FALLING OFF??!!

Then he said I had to re-jet before putting on a new muffler, and his dealership does not do metric, and he cannot recommend anyone who would re-jet. WTF!??  Did I say I wanted you to re-jet my bike? All I want is a fricking PIPE!!! Angry
RUN AWAY!!!!!!

I went down the street to the Suzuki stealership, knowing before I even went in that this was going to be interesting. They had no mufflers at all. They did find a muff clamp in the catalog, then told me it would be $290 to re-jet my bike. I am so in the wrong business. Roll Eyes

End result:
- I still have a dinged up HD dyna muffler halfway attached to my header
- No one in town wants to sell me Dyna
- I am watching a Dyna on fleabay. If I get it, I'll have it welded on.
- I am still fairly pissed off  Tongue

Why is it that one little project turns into a major production twice as long and four times as expensive?

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
jomiyo

Thump or Bump!

Elmira, NY
Reply #32 - 05/14/08 at 06:25:00

oo  oo  i know i know   pick me,

You are lacking the main ingredient!   BEER!  if i have learned one thing form this wonderful forum it is that every bike project needs beer.  I am not saying complete inebriation, just enough to give you the confidence and genius/creativity necessary.  the added cost of a case is way worth the deduct of all kinds of parts you would normally pay for.

Jomiyo aka Jordan

'07 s40, White spacer removed, Jardine muffler, iron cross mirrors, Ed-L +4" controls, under seat bags- only on for trips, and 1 happy nut in the seat!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #33 - 05/14/08 at 08:25:14

OK, the direct tact is the wrong course.

Hmmm, sub der fuge....
Go find a 17 year old, take off the muff and hand it to him, have him go in, eyes wide in fear, story goes 'I was riding my dad's bike and it fell off, you gotta give me a new one before he finds out or I'm dead'

torpedo's away...   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
jomiyo

Thump or Bump!

Elmira, NY
Reply #34 - 05/14/08 at 08:45:41

for some reason that sounds way better than my advice...

maybe it is my pre-disposition to alcoholism.

'07 s40, White spacer removed, Jardine muffler, iron cross mirrors, Ed-L +4" controls, under seat bags- only on for trips, and 1 happy nut in the seat!
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #35 - 05/14/08 at 09:34:01

How about I have a beer, and THEN take the muffler in hand to the shop? NOW we're talking!  Grin

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #36 - 05/14/08 at 09:38:26

I do believe I am liking my Harley parts guy more and more. He knows I ride a Savage, but is still willing to do whatever he can to get me the H-D stuff I want.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #37 - 05/14/08 at 09:50:11

BTW - is there anything WRONG with my pipes being BLUE from the lean running?

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #38 - 05/14/08 at 09:55:55

Seems like many of the shop owners use to be salesmen.    They're too much into money and prestige to understand the fun and satisfaction of wrenching.   The Mechanic-owners tend to NOT put up with the politics of running a big dealer  Sad

Here's some come backs to those guys :

To the Harley dealer:
to his "dealership does not do metric", reply   "What?... oh yea... this is a Harley dealer, you don't do modern stuff!"

to his : " no time to go looking for one",  reply "Yea.... I guess you make so much money selling accessories for these boats that you can leave inventory lay around."    

to his "he cannot recommend anyone who would re-jet" ,   reply  "I don't own a Harley,  my bike is easy to work on."  

to his "is that a 250? no, a 650, really?!",   reply  "yea,   it's horse power to weight ratio is better than most Harleys "   (note: don't tell him that the 5 gear should be a little taller, he doesn't need to know).

To the Suzuki dealer:
to the " $290 to re-jet my bike", reply "this aint' no Hayabusa, there's only one carb and you can take the bowel off without taking any covers off"

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
jomiyo

Thump or Bump!

Elmira, NY
Reply #39 - 05/14/08 at 10:47:47

The only thing that is effected is the visual aspect, which i kinda like.

it has been ridden, but not abused.

IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #40 - 05/15/08 at 05:34:32

jomiyo wrote on 05/14/08 at 10:47:47:
The only thing that is effected is the visual aspect, which i kinda like.
it has been ridden, but not abused.

THANK YOU. I was hoping that was the case. I actually LIKE it that way.  Smiley

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #41 - 05/15/08 at 06:26:21

I was treated the same way when I was looking for a Sportster pipe for my bike.

Me: "Hi.  I need a Sportser pipe"
Them: "What year?"
Me: "Doesn't matter.  I just need one without the crossover hose"
Them: "What year?"
Me: "2004"
Them: "XL? Custom?"
Me: "Uh, no. Its for a Suzuki"
Them: "grunt"
Me: "Excuse me?"
Them: "We don't sell stuff for metrics."
Me: "All I want is the pipe.  Can you sell me the pipe if I promise Not to put it on a metric?"
Them: "No, you ride a ricer.  We don't sell stuff for ricers."
Me: "Okay then..."

Left the store.  Empty handed and determined NEVER to place my arse on any Harley, so help me GOD.

The attitude of those people is un-freaking beleivable!

Anyway, Skatnbc...  I have a second HD sportster muff that I won off of ebay.  It does have the cross-over hose, but I had the muffler shop that welded its twin (I won 2) onto my header also weld a freeze plug over the hose fitting.  No leaks and its in the back of the muffler so you don't see it.

If you're interested, I can finish grinding the tube down (inside where the cross-over connection would go) so it fits over the Savage header.  Once thats done, its just a matter of having the plug welded in place and then welding it to the header.  Let me know and we can work something out....

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #42 - 05/15/08 at 13:09:01

One of the local HD dealers is also a Yamaha & Kawasaki dealer..... They do metric....   Grin   just not Suzuki  Sad  

Only problem is that there 25 - 30 minutes away and the other dealers are 2-10....

http://www.blockers.com/

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #43 - 05/15/08 at 20:06:35

If I get around to changing my exhaust, I'm going down to the John Deere dealership.   No kidding.  If I can find one that will fit, I just might try it out.  I like the sound of those things.  Especially the old one and two cylinder John Deere poppers.  I'll bet it would be the only bike around that sounded like it should be out baling hay.

Of course, I got over my fear of being laughed at some years ago.  This idea might not be for everyone.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Re: Muff aggro - RESOLVED!
Reply #44 - 05/27/08 at 16:53:21

Finally got the new Dyna muffler on, and today took it to the welder. We had a think on it while it was cooling off, and decided to try something different.

Instead of welding, we cut off 1/4" of the end of the header pipe so the Dyna pipe FINALLY fits flush with the ring like its supposed to.  
Clamped it down and it works like a champ....even backfires still when I want it to! Yahoo!  Cheesy

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 06:22:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Muff aggro - RESOLVED!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.