Send Topic Print
Muff aggro - RESOLVED! (Read 871 times)
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Re: Muff aggro
Reply #15 - 05/07/08 at 05:16:52

My HD was a PO addition, so I do not know what kind or model it is. The muff diameter is smaller than the header, and fits into it.

I've had to make my own attachment for the back portion screw that attaches to the bike (a funky bolted thing), and right now that is mainly what holds it on. If that came off, the pipe would fall off (and it HAS once on an exit ramp during rush hour traffic - urg.)

The clamp holding the muff to the header pipe is a circle clamp with a thumb screw turner (yeah, there is probably a tech term for this, but heck if I know what). I have used lock-tite. It works for holding the pipe about a week longer than when I don't use it.  Tongue

Oh yes - see this little non-photo? Well tomorrow Photoshop is due to arrive in my hands. I may soon be back to posting photos once again...

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
jomiyo

Thump or Bump!

Elmira, NY
Reply #16 - 05/07/08 at 05:24:16

mick wrote on 05/06/08 at 22:50:37:
Hi Skatnbnc,
               If you get to frustrated I have a "Jardene " muffler for sale in the market place,it's a perfect fit all around,it comes with a complete set of jets and a needle,I have it listed for $125 but I haven't had an offer ,so if you make one I would consider it,
be warned this muffler is LOUD ,it also gives you a bit more power.
The chrome is good,very slight bluing at the jount,it's a slash cut ,and looks really cool, let me know.
  PS it come's with all the hardwear you will need.
                       Mick

This is for you mick,

i too have a jardine, i have not yet re jetted my carb or done any work on it.   Do you know what size jets are best for the pipe with stock air filter?

'07 s40, White spacer removed, Jardine muffler, iron cross mirrors, Ed-L +4" controls, under seat bags- only on for trips, and 1 happy nut in the seat!
  IP Logged
Prophet_10

TANSTAAFL

Dekalb, IL
Reply #17 - 05/07/08 at 11:19:15

Welding was the only way I could get mine to not leak.

WWW   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #18 - 05/07/08 at 11:59:02

Muffler fits into the header pipe......   Shocked  

Most of the HD mufflers I saw numbers on would slip over the outside of our header pipe.  

You may want to have an adapter pipe made to convert from one to the other.   A muffler shop could do it for you.    You may have to bat your baby blues (green or brown....) since when you get there, the pipe will be a tad hot.

Also, the picture you tried to post looks like it is a link to your "e:" drive.  It needs to be up on some web-site, hosting service or web-server.   If your internet service provider (ISP) lets you have a personal website (most do) then store it there.  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #19 - 05/07/08 at 13:34:31

skatnbnc wrote on 05/07/08 at 05:16:52:
The muff diameter is smaller than the header, and fits into it.

The clamp holding the muff to the header pipe is a circle clamp with a thumb screw turner (yeah, there is probably a tech term for this, but heck if I know what).

E:\My Pictures\Bike\April bike 006.jpg

I think 99.9999% of the muffs fit over the header(yours being the .0001%)
aka Band clamp adjuster, Hose clamp screw, doohicky.
Lucky for you, stuff on your E drive (unless you've remapped your ISP) is not available to the common web peruser.  Although there is a hacker in china trying to change that.

WWW   IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 05/07/08 at 14:19:32

How about using 'muffler cement' ( comes in a tuna fish sized can and is a very thick metalized paste) as a joint sealer, and then 2 tack welds from a mig-welder, and then the clamp?  If you had to remove the muffler, you could easily grind off the tack welds and they are covered by the shield anyway.

IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #21 - 05/12/08 at 10:54:51

Okay guys - tell me the pros and cons of this one on ebay.  It's another HD, but I think it fits on differently than the one I have now.
Item # 150246478019

I skipped on the Jardine because its too loud for me. I commute in a really small town, and my hearing is damaged already so I'm not looking for more noise.

What I am looking for is a muffler that stays on my bike!

It came off again on my way to lunch today - arrggg. I kicked it back on, (damaged my boot toe) but it was too hot to tighten the clamp, so once again the bolt is holding it in place until tomorrow morning. Angry

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Muff aggro - NEW QUESTION added
Reply #22 - 05/12/08 at 11:21:04

If you're satisfied with the muffler other than it keeps falling off, go down to the muff shop and have it welded on.

WWW   IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #23 - 05/12/08 at 11:27:30

verslagen1 wrote on 05/12/08 at 11:21:04:
If you're satisfied with the muffler other than it keeps falling off, go down to the muff shop and have it welded on.

Well I managed to scrape the sh*t out of one side, I don't like the sound and it is getting a knarly blue mark from backfire burping where it meets the connector. (see photo above) So a new one is looking better than this one which I have never liked.

IP Logged
gar
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 05/12/08 at 17:34:34

Hey MICK that's a real good price on the Jardine Muff and with a Jet Kit???? Shocked I wish I knew that a few weeks ago! :'( I just paid 170 for muff and 30 for jet kit and YOU are correct!! It Sounds like a Big Boys Bike and does Kick Ass. Grin I used the Clamp  that came with it and if you position the clamp the CORRECT way and with a NEW Gasket from your local StealerShip it tightens down just right with NO LEAKS. What I did what get as TIGHT as I could and then took out for ride up and down street to get pipe hot and then CRANK DOWN one more time. This got that last little pin hole leak to stop. The Clamp is really a good and strong and is meant to take a beaten, BUT it's all on how you position the clamp to the slots in the MUff. Hope it works out for you. Gar Grin

IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #25 - 05/13/08 at 05:18:30

gar wrote on 05/12/08 at 17:34:34:
I used the Clamp  that came with it and if you position the clamp the CORRECT way and with a NEW Gasket from your local StealerShip it tightens down just right with NO LEAKS. What I did what get as TIGHT as I could and then took out for ride up and down street to get pipe hot and then CRANK DOWN one more time. This got that last little pin hole leak to stop. The Clamp is really a good and strong and is meant to take a beaten, BUT it's all on how you position the clamp to the slots in the MUff. Hope it works out for you. Gar

Ohhh...I did not think about tightening it after it warms up. Hmmm - might be able to bring the wrench to work, ride to the office and then get it tighter. Will try that tomorrow! Thanks!

IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #26 - 05/13/08 at 13:33:11

Okay this afternoon I rode around to a few places and got some news - the current clamp is not what originally came with that muffler.  The clamp in place now is beyond repair (heat weakened it - cannot tighten any more)
Then the HD dealer tried to sell me a HD....geeez, get a real bike dude.  Wink

A U clamp was tried, but it doesnt quite work. I am bidding on a new muffler on fleabay once I get an answer as to how loud it is.

And best news of all the afternoon stops - the local car muffler guys agreed to weld my muffler on for me for no charge!  Smiley

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #27 - 05/13/08 at 13:51:12

No charge Wink

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #28 - 05/13/08 at 15:14:17

At least smile at him when you say "thank you" -- that's all he really wants.

Southern gentlemen are always happy to make you happy ....

That's how our mommas raised us'ns

Oldfeller

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reply #29 - 05/13/08 at 16:15:38

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 05/13/08 at 15:14:17:
At least smile at him when you say "thank you" -- that's all he really wants.

Southern gentlemen are always happy to make you happy ....

That's how our mommas raised us'ns

Oldfeller

Maybe bat your eyelashes a little when you say thank you.  Glad to hear that you are getting it welded.  Hopefully that will take care of your issues.

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 06:19:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Muff aggro - RESOLVED!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.