Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Back in the saddle again! (Read 105 times)
saratovich

Back in the saddle again!
05/05/08 at 20:25:16

Thanks for all the helpful info! Pleased to report the scooter is back in action and I finally got to go riding . . . I now have 2,050 miles on the clock.

Repairs included: Complete top-end seal replacement, valves adjusted, new plug, carb rebuilt, new hoses, idle circuit set, white spacer replaced with a steel shim to .060" -- after all those years of sitting the seals were shot.  :'(

Good news: No leaking gas from the carb or engine oil leaks. Runs fine. Since I only had about 20 miles under dubious conditions, I really didn't have a point of reference for the stock performance (other than the backfiring).  During a 50 mile loop, pickup was good during a run up to 75 (indicated) with a passenger before a roll off because of the turbulance (thank goodness the backfiring is gone!!). Acceleration up hills around 55-60 with a passenger is no problem.

Bad news: I cannot hear the engine/exhaust and with no tachometer, my shifting was not optimal. With the carb tuning that has been done, would jetting be necessary for a change to a sportster slip on?

NOTE: I had a full tank of gas when the bike was picked up. After our 50 mile outing, I stopped to top off . . . 2.7 gallons!! EEEK!! AND the fuel lever was set on Reserve! I believe I'll check that next time someone works on the scoot!

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Back in the saddle again!
Reply #1 - 05/06/08 at 08:57:43

saratovich wrote on 05/05/08 at 20:25:16:
....white spacer replaced with a steel shim to .060" ..... would jetting be necessary for a change to a sportster slip on?

if you open the exhaust up that .060" is pretty thick -
at sea level the '02  was still a bit lean at .042" using a
Jardine and very lean with an open supertrap - I cut it down to
.028" and with the "off road only" 'trap it ran great, added the cam now and the front tire gets very light un hard accl from a stop sign, believe me you can hear the bike  Cool

IP Logged
saratovich

Reply #2 - 05/06/08 at 15:16:00

Interesting info, Thanks. But I'm only interested in the sportster muffler, as the one's you mentioned are far less restrictive (i.e. much louder than I'd want).

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #3 - 05/06/08 at 15:29:02

Harley Dyna muffler too.  

Pretty much the same as a Sportster but different brackets and some Sportsters have a cross-oveer port on the muffler.  Dyna's have it on the pipe.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 12:18:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Back in the saddle again!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.