Send Topic Print
dieing on highway (Read 242 times)
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

dieing on highway
05/05/08 at 12:54:30

Just got a used '95 savage on friday. 9k mi. Put over 100mi on her yesterday, and almost another 100 the day before with no issues. Most of that was highway. I went to go pick some things up today, hop on the highway go about 10 mi to where I need to be with no troubles. On the way back home I go a few miles and the bike dies. I pull over, switch to RES just incase, check for leaks or anything generally out of the ordinary. No leaks, no funny sounds, no funny smells. Lights still work. She starts right back up with no trouble. I go a few more miles and it happens again. Check everything again, just in case. Same deal. Starts right back up and I head home. Any ideas?

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Re: dieing on highway
Reply #1 - 05/05/08 at 13:06:20

Try it on prime,sounds like the famous vacuum line problem.Look in the tech section there should be some write ups on it.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #2 - 05/05/08 at 13:39:13

Or a clogged fuel screen, or a malfunctioning vacuum diaphram...

Remember, with a fuel screen, as the fuel level drops, there's less surface area for the fuel to enter the petcock.  Had that very problem on mine...

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #3 - 05/05/08 at 13:39:56

If the bike runs fine on PRI, don't suspect the fuel screen...

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #4 - 05/05/08 at 13:45:21

If the bike runs fine on PRI, then it is a vacuum pickup problem.  Go to an autoparts store and get a length of fuel hose.  Take off the vacuum hose (The one with the metal spring around it) and replace it with the new hose from the autoparts store.

For good measure, zip tie the ends that go over the barbs and you're back in business.  a 95 cent fix, but the knowledge is priceless...

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/05/08 at 14:17:42

just went another 20 mi while waiting for a reply with no issue. Different route but same general speed. The bike idles dandy on PRI. Would I have to get up to speed to know if the fuel screen were the culprit? When this happened I was fairly close to going on RES anyway but I fueled up before I got home (put in 1.9xx US gal) and now, as i said, no issue. Mind boggling.

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #6 - 05/05/08 at 14:20:54

BurnPgh,  You wouldn't be in Pittsburgh, would ya?

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/05/08 at 14:27:49

sadly i am. Sort of. About 20 min east in Penn Hills. I'm not a fan of the 'burgh. Heading out this summer. Maybe to SF, maybe to El Paso, maybe Biloxi, Pheonix, Charleston SC. Anywhere but here. I can't take another winter.

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #8 - 05/05/08 at 14:40:38

I hear ya about the winters.I'm originally from Youngstown Oh. area living just outside of Dallas now.I DO NOTmiss the area. Grin

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #9 - 05/05/08 at 15:35:14

BurnPgh wrote on 05/05/08 at 14:17:42:
just went another 20 mi while waiting for a reply with no issue. Different route but same general speed. The bike idles dandy on PRI. Would I have to get up to speed to know if the fuel screen were the culprit? When this happened I was fairly close to going on RES anyway but I fueled up before I got home (put in 1.9xx US gal) and now, as i said, no issue. Mind boggling.

This is sounding to me more like a fuel screen problem as the evidence mounts...did you run WOT at all AFTER you filled up?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 05/05/08 at 16:26:42

Sounds alot like my problem, but I only get it on hills and more frequent when tank low.  I'll have to check the float screen.  But I did replace the vac line and half the issue went away.  I've been running on reserve since and have no issue.

WWW   IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #11 - 05/05/08 at 17:49:59

Well, before you bail, give me a hollar.  I'm over in Moon and even though I tend to ride for work (I'm a field engineer) I still look for an excuse to get the bike out on the weekends...

Let us know ho you make out over the next few days...

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #12 - 05/05/08 at 18:01:49

And to keep things in perspective.  While we were enjoying 50* sunny days here, Erie was still having daily snow showers..... (After living for 30 years in the 'snow belt' off of lake Erie, the winters here are downright balmy....

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 05/05/08 at 21:20:08

can't argue with that. Half my family is in Erie. 2in of snow in Pgh is at least 10 in Erie.

I wasnt running WOT at all. Still a new bike to me, not tryin to push her too hard. At 65 there was plenty of throttle left. I'm sure this thing could hit the indicated 100mph or darn close, not that I'm gunna find out. But to answer your Q yes I was going about the same speed. I also rode her to work and back tonight with no troubles.

Now that it's been brought up, both times it died I was going uphill and the tank was "low". Almost to the RES point but not quite. The hills werent steep but...

I got tomorrow off work and I'm helping my friend work on his nighthawk so I'll give my bike a good twice over like i should have to begin with. Y'all (or yinz as the case may be) understand though. New bike...just couldnt resist. Anything I ought to check aside from the screen/hose and cam chain tensioner? Already checked the real simple stuff: lights, tires, fluids etc. As long as I'm checking the tensioner I geuss I'll see whats up with the oil filter....I should know this, and apologize for even asking, but does the savage have a fuel filter or just the fuel screen?

PS - Skrapiron, we'll definately get something together before I go.

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #14 - 05/06/08 at 04:47:33

No fuel filter, unless added by previous owner.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:28:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › dieing on highway

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.