Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Petcock Mod - Partial Success (Read 97 times)
Mike M
YaBB Newbies

Petcock Mod - Partial Success
05/04/08 at 20:32:04

About a week ago I posted with the symptoms of a fuel delivery problem and got the suggestion to try the petcock mod - remove the diaphragm and plug the prime opening in the plastic cylinder.  I did that and it worked, but I still have a slow leak past the shutoff position (formerly prime).  I'm pretty sure I caused it by some sloppy finishing work after I placed a screw if the opening.  I used some pvc pipe adhesive stuff to cover the screw/plug because I didn't have any epoxy and the nearby hardware store was closed.  Anyway, until I fix my mess, what risk is that slow leak into the hose to the carb?  I disconnected the hose to the carb and plugged it until I better understand if that is really necessary.  Say I ride to work in the morning and leave it connected all day - am I going to cause some kind of fuel backup or overflow problem throught the carb?  Thanks in advance for your help.

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Re: Petcock Mod - Partial Success
Reply #1 - 05/05/08 at 13:50:51

If the float valve in the carb is working properly, you don't need a petcock at all.  On the other hand, if that valve fails, the petcock in an "open" configuration will stop the carb, and ultimately the engine crankcase, from overflowing with gas.  If you then drive the m/c with the crankcase filled with gas, your looking at new engine/transmission.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Mike M
YaBB Newbies

Re: Petcock Mod - Partial Success
Reply #2 - 05/06/08 at 08:38:17

Thanks Barry, that's what I thought but wanted to hear some confirmation.  One way or another, I'll get it to stop leaking.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 04:26:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Petcock Mod - Partial Success

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.