Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Earth connection?  Where should it be? (Read 83 times)
cybofax
YaBB Newbies

Manchester - UK
Earth connection?  Where should it be?
05/04/08 at 03:25:01

Hi All,
I have put the engine back in and had temporarily connected the engine/battery earth to position 29 here:
http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/Module/Main/TypeID/26/Type/Motorcycle/Mak...
so I could check the operation of the electrics and starting.  

The question is - even though the earth lead natuarlly "falls" to this position - I can't help feeling it should not be where the pulley cover should go - as it has a rubber spacer.

Can anyone confirm where the earth lead should actually go?
Many thanks in advance!

'88 stock-ish
  IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Re: Earth connection?  Where should it be?
Reply #1 - 05/04/08 at 05:13:46

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 05/04/08 at 06:00:22

You don't know how lucky you are, boys .......

You are blessed with good simple robust electronics on the Savage -- not twitchy complex electronics like on an old Yamaha.  You can get away with a single systems ground bolted to a major aluminum component.

Follow this along for the giggles of it, Yamaha's need multiple system grounds because a little aluminum oxidation on a ground can drive their complex electronics crazy.  Especially the TCI module (computer) that controls firing, timing and different advance curves for the two cylinders.

On a Yamaha you MUST ground the engine with a big cable similar to the Savage cable and you MUST also ground the frame in several locations near major electrical subsystems if you don't want erratic electrical gremlins popping up all the time.

You must also periodically detach and spray electronic contact cleaner inside all the male and female electronic plug connections on a Yamaha to keep a little bit of white stuff from leaving you parked in the tall grass along the backroads late at night.

Things you only have to do rarely on a Savage to troubleshoot a rare electronics issue are STANDARD ROUTINE MAINTENANCE on other brands of bikes.

You don't know how lucky you are, boys .......

Undecided

Oldfeller

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #3 - 05/04/08 at 06:19:06

You should be good to connect to any of the bolts that hold the two halves of the engine case together.

Pulley cover may not be the best spot...... but the engine case bolts behind it are ok.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
cybofax
YaBB Newbies

Manchester - UK
Reply #4 - 05/04/08 at 08:31:21

Wow! prompt reply - thanks.  I've taken off the belt guard and the pulley - tugged the earth lead over and used No.5 - makes sense now!

OK - I'm counting myself lucky as well!  The only other bikes I've had are a BSA and a Honda  - they didn't seem to suffer with electrical issues.

'88 stock-ish
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 06:29:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Earth connection?  Where should it be?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.