Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Slippage after new clutch/spring install (Read 442 times)
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Slippage after new clutch/spring install
05/03/08 at 19:32:59

My 86 Savage was bought used so I have no idea if the clutch was ever worked on, but the odometer have less that 9,000 on it when I got it (not sure how accurate it was, bike was a salvage title).

Last year I started to get the 3rd/4th gear WOT clutch slippage so I went for a full clutch discs and spring replacement.  

I soaked the discs in oil for a few days and then installed them.  Installation was pretty easy and straight forward.

When I went for a test drive I was slipping in all gears at WOT.  I thought that something might have been loose so I re-installed everything.

It's a little better now, but it's still slipping at WOT in 3rd and 4th.

I'm hoping that it just has something to do with soaking them too long (directions said for a few hours) and I just have to wait for it to for it to wear off.  I'm using Honda 10w-40 motorcycle oil.  I have also adjusted the clutch lever several different times to see if that makes a difference.

Any suggestions?

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Re: Slippage after new clutch/spring install
Reply #1 - 05/04/08 at 04:25:57

Wow, that's a tough one.

Usually clutch slippage is causes by no friction material left on the clutch, weak springs, or friction modifiers in the oil.  Don't see signs of any of these...

Did you swap in a v-8 engine?   Grin

Okay, IF all the new parts you installed were w/in specs I'd assume the clutch lever is still too tight.  If you've ruled that out, and you're confident everything is installed right, I'd suspect the wrong clutch springs were used, as in, they sent the wrong springs in the kit.

Did you soak the clutches in the Honda oil?  Or something else?

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #2 - 05/04/08 at 05:31:51

you could a little more spring presure with washers - could be caused by wear to the clutch basket - if any groves have worn into the surface of the slots the plates can hangup a bit

IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 05/04/08 at 06:56:50

Thanks.  I'm going to adjust the lever again.

Yes, I soaked the discs in the exact oil I put in the bike.

Thinking about it more, i'm wondering if it is even the clutch plates but rather the metal plates that go in between (I forget what they're called).  

I might as well try those. Anyone know where to get a set?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 05/04/08 at 09:00:46

When you buy the washers, take a calliper along. They vary in thickness quite a bit. Also, you will see a milled spot where each spring sits. Close inspection will reveal thay are different depths, so, I cut the OD of the washers to fit inside the relieved area. Easy to do all at once, by putting them together on a bolt with nuts top & bottom to squeeze them together, stick it in a drill press & turn it on, then run a grinder on the washers as they spin. A friend holding a drill, or sticking the drill in a vise, OR, last resort, set the trigger & step on it, bend over & grind away.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #5 - 05/04/08 at 10:25:01

toddlamp8 wrote on 05/04/08 at 06:56:50:
Thinking about it more, i'm wondering if it is even the clutch plates but rather the metal plates that go in between (I forget what they're called).  

Pressure plates?  I would have assumed they come with a clutch set...haven't dealt with one on a Savage yet.

If they were burned out previously, they probably need to be replaced.  Certainly wouldn't hurt to inspect them...

Interested to see what you find.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 05/04/08 at 18:21:28

Nope, no pressure plate, just the discs.  At least the EBC kit I got from Dennis Krk only came with the clutch discs.  I'll give the Suzuki dealer a call tomorrow.

IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Reply #7 - 05/05/08 at 00:35:49

It's just about unheard of for slippage like this after fitting new plates unless something else is wrong.
As suggested, double-check there's no pre-tension in your clutch cable, but also that those new friction disks are the right thickness.  It's not impossible for the new items to be out of spec!

No1 should be about .115-.121in, wear limit .103
No2 should be .136-14in, wear limit .124.
Spring free length 1.3 in
Plate warpage less than .004in.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 05/05/08 at 03:41:48

Generally speaking, when swapping out friction plates I would always hit the re-used steel plates with a bit of 220 wet or dry paper just to lightly break up the glaze on the drag surfaces.  Bet you got some slicky surfaced steel plates that aren't doing very much with the rough irregular fresh cork surfaces on your new cork plates.

This also removed any protruding wire edges on the steel plates for the next step, which was checking them for rock  or cup (warp & flatness) on the formica table top in the kitchen.  Got to check on both sides to see both of these potential issues.

If cork plates measured clearly within spec but both steel and cork appeared glazed from slippage, I have lightly sanded both mating surfaces and put the roughed up corks and steels back in until I could order up the new corks and get them shipped in (I reused old side cover gasket with some silver Kawasaki Bond sealant).

I have run that way for a goodly while on one old CB160 honda as the gooped up side cover gasket didn't leak and the clutch stopped its mess for nearly two years just from roughing up the plates good.  

Ah, I was young and broke back then -- I have more money now and generally plan major replacement stuff ahead of time now-a-days.

Oldfeller

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 05/05/08 at 14:38:36

I contacted the closest Suzuki dealer today and they have some pressure plates in stock.  I already bought them and will pick them up tonight.  I should get them in tonight (since i'm an expert now and this) and will report tomorrow.

The plates that are in there now appear to have two slightly different sides.  Is there any specific orientation to the plate when I install them?

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #10 - 05/06/08 at 14:37:34

Any updates?  What happened?

IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #11 - 05/06/08 at 19:30:04

Well i'm quite PO'ed  Angry.  I just swapped in the pressure plates and it still slips in 3rd and 4th.  In addition to replacing the pressure plates I also removed one of those large diameter washers on the inside of Disc 1.  It seemed to be preventing the clutch plate from making contact.

I drove it around a little and it's still slipping.  I will give it a few trips to/from the train station to see if anything changes.

Only good thing from all this work is that I can swap a clutch in 1.5hrs from start to finish.

I'm out of inexpensive things to replace.  I have no idea what the problem is.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #12 - 05/06/08 at 20:11:51

did you check over the basket? should not be any groves worn on the edges of the fingers

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #13 - 05/07/08 at 15:33:54

Also, did you measure the clutch springs to make sure they were in spec?

IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #14 - 05/10/08 at 07:46:49

Reelthing wrote on 05/06/08 at 20:11:51:
did you check over the basket? should not be any groves worn on the edges of the fingers

I gave it all a one-over at least 3 times and I didn't see anything out of the ordinary.  Of course i'm not an expert.

The springs and fiber plates are brand new from EBC.  The pressure plates are new OEM from Suzuki.  It has gotten better so i'm just going to keep an eye on it.  I may try a different type of oil eventhough i'm using 10w40 Honda motorcycle oil.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 04:18:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Slippage after new clutch/spring install

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.