Send Topic Print
Oversize rear tire (Read 206 times)
sammy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oversize rear tire
05/03/08 at 13:08:48

Just bought a 2005 S-40 , 7000 mi. has a new set of Dunlop tires and after taking my daughter for a 6 mile ride today I might have ruined the rear tire. This is my first motorcycle in almost 30 yrs. and I didn't realize the rear tire was bigger than stock--it is a 140-90-15 and after I got back from the ride I noticed the rear tire was scrubbed pretty bad on the left shoulder where it had rubbed on the saddle bag rack bolt head inside the fenderwell. I'm pretty sure I would have noticed this scrub before now if it was doing it without a passenger on the back. I'm wondering how much adjustment there is in the shocks or will I just have to put a stock tire back on it. I do plan on hauling someone on the back part of the time, any ideas. Thanks. Sad

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Re: Oversize rear tire
Reply #1 - 05/03/08 at 13:15:57

There are several discussions about this in various places.  Check out Oldfeller's post in the Tech Section first and see if that answers your questions.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #2 - 05/03/08 at 13:17:43

It's called "fitting MUCH larger rear tire" which doesn't apply to you, but does address rubbing bolts...

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #3 - 05/03/08 at 13:47:42

You need to get some carriage or machine bolts at Lowe's or Home Depot.
They have rounded heads Wink

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
gj859
Alliance Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

winchester ky
Reply #4 - 05/03/08 at 13:55:06

When I was young all I ran was the old maypop tires on old cars that I had given $75-$100 for. I think this is a bad idea on a motorcycle. Does anyone disagree that it's time for a new tire?

We're at the mercy of time, and time don't got no mercy.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 05/03/08 at 22:26:07

Did the scrubbing expose the cord material inside the tire rubber?  If so, you are shot and need to replace the tire.

If not, it can be considered as cosmetic damage.  Tire's strength comes from the nylon/polyester tire cord layers, its ability to hold air comes from the inner tube.  Rubber is a just a wear away traction component which actually adds very little to the mechanical strength of a tire.

Oldfeller

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #6 - 05/04/08 at 03:31:31

Here is a thread on the "rubbing bolt" issue

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1181363003/0#0

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
sammy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/04/08 at 18:44:16

Hey, I really appreciate all your replies and I don't think this tire will blow on me unless I try to haul someone on the back again! I think I will replace it with the correct size tire and maybe replace the bolts also. I looked at the shocks today and they are on the third setting from highest position so I don't know if raising them all the way up would give me enough clearance with the big tire to haul a passenger or not! Was wondering what if any advantage is there to having the bigger tire on the back anyway? Thanks, Sammy.

IP Logged
sammy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/05/08 at 16:59:57

Update on my tire problem--I just bought this bike last Tuesday, used,  from a dealer with no warranty. I decided to take it back to the dealer today to see if they would do anything about it and they ordered me a new tire and they are going to replace  it free of charge with the correct size, so everything worked out fine. Thanks everyone. Sammy.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #9 - 05/05/08 at 18:30:43

cool - name the dealer that's a pretty standup thing to do !

IP Logged
sammy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 05/05/08 at 18:46:10

Star City Powersports, Roanoke VA. Treated me great, so far. Bought 2 4 wheelers and the S-40 from them! Sammy.

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #11 - 05/05/08 at 21:29:38

Yeah, That's cool for the dealer to make things how you wanted them...

But to answer your earlier question: There is a reason some people prefer running the 140/90-15. They are taller and a larger diameter. Ends up giving you a slight drop in RPMs (by a couple hundred turns) at higher highway speeds. If most of your riding is below 60MPH, the difference really doesn't matter much. If you like to run 75MPH for hours at a time on the Interstate, the slight drop in RPMs is comfortable and less wear on the engine. However, most people who are serious about gearing their bike up have broken down and installed a chain conversion; which allows them to pick their gearing to their liking.  Cool

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 00:27:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oversize rear tire

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.