Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Need help with rear brake arm (Read 139 times)
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
Need help with rear brake arm
05/03/08 at 12:58:06

I took off my rear brake arm to reposition it.  Because of the spring around it I can't do that.  That's fine, I really didn't need to mess with it in the first place.  But now I can't get the arm back on fully in any position.  It seems like the brake mechanism needs to be taken out of the wheel so the bolt/cam that holds the arm on can be pushed far enough out to allow the brake arm to go on fully.  Is there any other way to hold pressure against the mechanism so that I can get the arm fully on without taking the rear wheel off?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Need help with rear brake arm
Reply #1 - 05/03/08 at 15:08:53

In went & took a look at mine. At first I thought you could use a small diameter, TUFF piece of wire to hold the spring out of the way, by pulling it toward the axle, But, it looks like the brake arm is the keeper for the spring, & if you pull on it hard, it will just swing off of the shoulder behind the arm & be in the way. I am thinking that the adjustment is in the nut on the cable ( I knew it was there, But I am thinking the arm is pretty much where it needs to be, with the way the spring is, as in, No Adj. Here.) It looks like pulling the axle out & wiggling the brake plate out is the answer. I thgink you  will be able to leave the wheel in place, generally, just move it a little. Drop the spacers & that creates quite a bit of wiggle rtoom.

Maybe someone will have a better bit of news for you. Good Luck.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
Reply #2 - 05/03/08 at 16:04:51

The spring isn't the issue. It's that the brake pad assembly moved in the drum left to right.  When you push to put the brake arm on the assembly moves inward and you can't get the arm on the splines fully.

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #3 - 05/03/08 at 16:18:54

I know exactly what you're talking about.The only way I know is to pull the rear wheel.Unless you can hold it out with something like a small pick.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
Reply #4 - 05/04/08 at 05:01:30

I'm thinking of drilling a small hole in the end of the shaft and putting a screw into it so I can pull on the screw to move the assembly out.  I may need to adjust the position of the arm due to issues with my forward controls and brake cable length.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #5 - 05/04/08 at 05:37:22

That shaft is pretty hard to drill  If it was me I'd pull the rear wheel - give you a chance to have a look at the shoes, grease the axle, clean out the brake dust, and get the arm back on correct.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 05/04/08 at 06:03:34

And do not breathe the dust. A dampish tee shirt for a mask will catch it pretty good.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 05/04/08 at 06:08:27

Keith_T wrote on 05/03/08 at 16:04:51:
The spring isn't the issue. It's that the brake pad assembly moved in the drum left to right.  When you push to put the brake arm on the assembly moves inward and you can't get the arm on the splines fully.

NOOOO But IF th spring cant be held out of the way to even try to get the arm back on indexed properly, then the thing has to come apart, so, while I understand well enough that the issue is the brake actuator sliding into the hub is one of the problems, IT cant be dealt with while the spring is being a pain. It is possible that pulling the actuator out into position & then opening the arm up so it slips on without pushing the actuator back into the wheel would save the day, But not with that spring there being a pain. So, as I said, he is gonna have to pull the axle, at least.

IP Logged
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
Reply #8 - 05/04/08 at 12:32:25

MY SCREW TRICK WORKED!!!  I drilled a eighth of an inch hole about an eighth inch deep.  I was able to start a sheet metal screw into the hole just enough for the threads to bite.  I was then able to pull the shaft out enough to fully seat the arm even with the spring in place.  I'm almost done with the forward controls and didn't  even have to jerry rig the brakes.

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #9 - 05/04/08 at 13:49:16

Reelthing wrote on 05/04/08 at 05:37:22:
That shaft is pretty hard to drill  If it was me I'd pull the rear wheel - give you a chance to have a look at the shoes, grease the axle, clean out the brake dust, and get the arm back on correct.

And all this time I thought brakes were like computers...If you let the smoke/dust out they stop working  Grin

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 10:22:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Need help with rear brake arm

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.