Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Disconnecting wires to pull tank (Read 108 times)
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Disconnecting wires to pull tank
05/02/08 at 19:28:20

I've had the tank off numerous times, now.  I always have to balance it on a sawhorse or hand it to one of my offspring to hold while I'm fiddling around under there.  The plug that would allow me to disconnect the wiring and fully remove the tank won't budge.  I'm afraid to horse on it too much, just in case it requires some secret incantation to separate the two halves properly.  

Is the thing just stuck with age?  Is there a squeeze-to-release gadget in there?  Is it Hiroshima's revenge?

I've gotten done what I need to under there (new spark plug and petcock are in) but it would be handy to be able to set the tank down out of the way.  When I put the petcock in today, I was holding the tank in my left hand while I worked with my right.   I dropped one of the bolts on the OPPOSITE side of the bike (of course).  Picture me trying to hold the tank (upside down to prevent spillage), bend over the bike at the waist, and search around in the gravel for a tiny little bolt without tipping the bike over in the process.  Mary Lou Retton could have learned some new moves from me.  And Eddie Murphy could have learned some new words.

Any clues on getting that plug apart?

Jason

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Disconnecting wires to pull tank
Reply #1 - 05/02/08 at 20:08:21

Your '87 might be different I do not know but doubt it - no tricks on the '02 and do not remember any on the '95 - but if the metal fingers have rusted together a little it might be tough - if you ever wiggle it apart might be a good place for a little dielectric grease on the metal fingers

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #2 - 05/03/08 at 06:16:29

that connector is a royal pita on my 06 ..i pull and wiggle it as far a itll go then pry it apart with a screw driver..not into the connector but along the side think thats what the tab is for...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #3 - 05/03/08 at 06:25:20

i have had the tank off at least a hundred times on my 87, and it's pretty easy to pull the wires apart.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #4 - 05/03/08 at 06:28:11

Hmmmm...   Mine is all back together now, so I can't be sure, but I don't think there is any kind of tab on it.  I'm reluctant to tear it apart to look, when the weather is finally getting nice and I really should be spending my free time riding aimlessly about.  Next time I'm in there, I'll hook it to a pair of come-alongs and see what shakes loose.  

Maybe I'll tie it to a door knob and slam the door.  That always worked for dad when I was a kid.

Thanks,
Jason

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 05/03/08 at 08:29:45

There's no locking tabs, just pulls apart.
Maybe needs a percussion adjustment to loosen a stuck gremlin egg.

WWW   IP Logged
NikoruWiriamu
YaBB Newbies

Auburndale, Florida
Reply #6 - 05/04/08 at 10:05:02

Hmm. I just pulled mine off last night to do some repairs, and it took a little bit of muscle and wiggling around.

There is a spray that was made, much like the air spray cleaner for computers, that you can spray on wires and such without damaging them. It might just need some cleaning. Good luck!

NikoruWiriamu   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 08:22:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Disconnecting wires to pull tank

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.