isabel
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Brooklyn, New York
discolored pipes
05/02/08 at 12:26:35

Hi there...
This is probably an old question, but i can't find anything on it..so here it goes again....
is there anything i can do to stop/clean/coverup the yellowis/purple discoloration my exaust/pipes are getting?? i saw someones bike looks like it was painted a blact matte?? can i do that and solve the problem?? what kind of paint /coverage is that??
Help!!
Undecided

IP Logged
rpgpgmr

Huntington, WV
Re: discolored pipes
Reply #1 - 05/02/08 at 13:37:56

Best stuff you can possibly buy to restore pipes is Blue Job.  I was soooo skeptical when I ordered it, but WOW.  The difference is amazing.  Check ebay first cause there's usually decent deals on there for it.  Takes a little elbow grease, but the results are amazing.

2005 Suzuki Boulevard S40
2007 Yamaha V-Star Classic
  IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #2 - 05/02/08 at 15:42:59

they used high heat paint.  bluing/browning are signs you need to tune it a little, am I right?

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #3 - 05/02/08 at 16:36:48

I haven't used Blue Job, so I can't comment much on it.  I have repeatedly seen the words "elbow grease" associated with it though.  I stumbled over this product at NAPA:

I kid you not, this wipes the blue off of my pipes with about as much effort as wiping up water with a paper towell.  I think the can cost 5 or 10 bucks.  It is a big chunk of wadding saturated with some kind of polish.  Just tear a piece off and wipe it on.  Then, wipe it off with a soft rag.  It does not prevent re-bluing, however.  Tuning my carb did that.  Blue Job might help with that issue?  Anyway, I would heartilly recommend trying Nevr-Dull.  It makes this chore a snap.

Good Luck,
Jason

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 05/02/08 at 19:25:54

I have not had the same luck with the never dull taking off bluing.  However, that stuff is tits for polishing chrome.  The old chrome reverse wheels and baby moons looked to be pretty far gone on my '58 Bel air (rusty as all hell).  I spent an afternoon working on those and the other chrome bits on the car with the Never Dull and some 0000 steel wool.  They shine like new now.  I swear by the stuff.  

Always use 0000 steel wool when buffing chrome.  Any thing courser will swirl and scratch the finish on the chrome.

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
Cory

Ride Hard Or Stay
Home

OHIO
Reply #5 - 05/02/08 at 20:56:28

blue job nor never dull worked for any of my pipes , another cause for discoloration is a small exhaust leak . I recently painted my exhaust with 2000 degree heat resistant black paint picked it up at autozone for 6 bucks a can i sanded the exhaust down to roughen it up then put about 8 coats on the outside and 3 coats on the inside and let the exhaust sit for about 7 to 10 days to help cure i could've put it in the oven for 2 hours at 200 degrees but wife would've killed me . that is my input on the discolored pipe . good luck

2000 Savage , Ebc Brakes , HD Dyna Muffler , Diamond Grips , Diamond Mirrors , Leather Saddlebags
crimsonhand1977   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 10:22:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › discolored pipes

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.