Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tire tools (Read 100 times)
rpgpgmr

Huntington, WV
Tire tools
05/02/08 at 11:16:58

Savage_Greg has a nice How-To for changing tires in the Technical Section, but I don't know what he means by "Get a decent pair of tire tools" and "Get a little tool to remove the valve stem valve on the tube."  What are these tools and where do we find them?  Will be doing first tire change next week when tires come in.

2005 Suzuki Boulevard S40
2007 Yamaha V-Star Classic
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Re: Tire tools
Reply #1 - 05/02/08 at 11:54:32

Got to Google and search:
how to change a motorcycle tire

The most likely tools Greg is talking about are tire irons (pair is good, three is better, four is overkill).
And a valve core removal tool.  A lot of valve caps have the tool on the other end.

Lots of tire tools

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/02/08 at 15:27:06

Ebay sells lots of tire tools.  I got mine there at a great price from a 'Buy it Now' vendor, but I don't remember which one.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 05/02/08 at 19:31:54

A couple of 2X4's & a fat hinge to make a bead breaker might help. I got it done other ways, but I might try building one next time. IF I do, I will put a block between the 2X4's.

Remember to air the tube up a touch to keep the wrinkles out as you work the tire on.
Getting the tire to seat all the way out, bringing the tires bvead to the lip of the rim, is essential. There is a fine line on the tire that will be the same distance from the edge of the rim all the way around when its right.
A Schraeder valve tool is easy to get. Any tire store will likely toss you one for nothing.
Some folks sprinkle a bit of talcum in the tire to help the tube move & straighten out inside the tire.

Don't forget the spray lube on the tire bead.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Onederer
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/03/08 at 08:01:29

For those of you who change your own tires, and want something that will make it easier on the road in case of a emergency repair, or just to help at home, here is a tool kit that might interest you.
http://www.bestrestproducts.com/celestia/products/beadbreaker/

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/03/08 at 08:44:53

Here is a good link for a lecture on motorcycle tire changing, with pictures.

http://clarity.net/~adam/tire-changing-doc.html

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 14:28:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tire tools

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.