Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
S40 Seat Compatability. (Read 107 times)
NikoruWiriamu
YaBB Newbies

Auburndale, Florida
S40 Seat Compatability.
05/01/08 at 09:49:09

I was wondering, will the aftermarket seat for the S40 work on a 2001 Savage? Since I need a new seat, I've been looking at the seats that are on the Sportsters and the S40.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2902270810...

Will that work on it? Other wise, I may just get this one...without the backrest.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3302320590...

NikoruWiriamu   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: S40 Seat Compatability.
Reply #1 - 05/01/08 at 10:20:12

Here's the Tect Ref section link.  You need to make a bracket to match up to the Suzuki seat side mounts.  

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1161011205

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
NikoruWiriamu
YaBB Newbies

Auburndale, Florida
Reply #2 - 05/01/08 at 10:54:01

Does anyone know if those brackets were made from scratch metal, or were they in the basic shape..and then cut holes in them?

I've never worked with metal, so I don't know if I can make a bracket from scratch. I don't think I know anyone that can work with metal either.

Keith_T

Northern Illinois
Reply #3 - 05/01/08 at 10:58:57

If the harley seat has a bolt in the back why is the center bracket necessary?  Could you just have pads to help the seat contact the frame and use the front tab and back bolt to hold the seat down?

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #4 - 05/01/08 at 11:08:18

In the link, the first two look like there was "metal" work.  Maybe some welding.
   On the red bike, the peice of metal is use for building houses, framing brace. It look like it was bent to fit.   I think I read that it was an earthquake strap.  But....   they have Hurricane straps that are very much the same.  

You may want to print the picture and then run over to Lowes or Home Depot and see if they have it.

---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #5 - 05/01/08 at 11:13:04

Keith_T wrote on 05/01/08 at 10:58:57:
If the harley seat has a bolt in the back why is the center bracket necessary?  Could you just have pads to help the seat contact the frame and use the front tab and back bolt to hold the seat down?

Flexing and side to side movement.  The front is only a hook and seat is design to sit on a harley frame not a LS650 so middle support most likely do not match up.

Can you see going down your favortie twisty and the seat shifts a inch or so to the side in the middle of a turn.... or worse yet, shifts off the front hook.... Shocked

---
  IP Logged
NikoruWiriamu
YaBB Newbies

Auburndale, Florida
Reply #6 - 05/01/08 at 11:26:33

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 05/01/08 at 11:08:18:
In the link, the first two look like there was "metal" work.  Maybe some welding.
   On the red bike, the peice of metal is use for building houses, framing brace. It look like it was bent to fit.   I think I read that it was an earthquake strap.  But....   they have Hurricane straps that are very much the same.  

You may want to print the picture and then run over to Lowes or Home Depot and see if they have it.  

Ah. Okay. Sounds like a plan! Praise be to men, who can simplify things for women like me! Hahah. Thanks!  Grin

verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 05/01/08 at 11:29:10

NikoruWiriamu wrote on 05/01/08 at 10:54:01:
Does anyone know if those brackets were made from scratch metal, or were they in the basic shape..and then cut holes in them?

I've never worked with metal, so I don't know if I can make a bracket from scratch. I don't think I know anyone that can work with metal either.

I believe the 1st 2 are made from angle iron and mine is made from a framing T.

To make any of these... you need a vice, a hack saw, a file, a hammer, and a drill.  Measuring sticks are very helpful too.   Grin

You could just use the brackets from the savage seat, but I don't think it would last very long.  So at a very minimum, a flat strip of steel to mount the savage brackets to would work.

WWW   IP Logged
NikoruWiriamu
YaBB Newbies

Auburndale, Florida
Reply #8 - 05/01/08 at 12:41:45

NikoruWiriamu wrote on 05/01/08 at 10:54:01:
I believe the 1st 2 are made from angle iron and mine is made from a framing T.

To make any of these... you need a vice, a hack saw, a file, a hammer, and a drill.  Measuring sticks are very helpful too.   Grin

You could just use the brackets from the savage seat, but I don't think it would last very long.  So at a very minimum, a flat strip of steel to mount the savage brackets to would work.

Nice. Well, I found one at Lowes. For ref. in case anyone wants to know what the product is and the price..
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=64008-72913-121...

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 08:30:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › S40 Seat Compatability.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.