Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Slight "hang up" on L. H. banked curves... (Read 150 times)
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Slight "hang up" on L. H. banked curves...
05/01/08 at 09:38:46

I got out for my first decent run yesterday, put about 150 miles on. Started noticing a slight resistance, not really a hangup, on left hand turns. Didn't even notice it for awhile, then sometimes heavier, sometimes not noticable. Started wondering if it was my imagination, but happening too often to ignore. Going through the twisties on the river roads along the Missouri bottoms the bike just handled "different" on left banks than right. Not as responsive to the "press to turn" initiative in the 40-55MHP range. I couldn't really peg it down to uphill/downhill or any other single circumstance and couldn't always get it to repeat. Stopped a couple of times and looked for obvious reasons. No apparent brake pull, no uneven weight distribution, tire pressure and visual inspection seemed OK. Toward the end of the day as the wind kicked up I was leaning forward a little more and didn't notice it as much, but then again my speed was up a little more on that stretch. Anyone out there have a similar experience, or know what I should be looking for?
 As always, I appreciate the knowledge shared on this forum. I've missed it when my computer was down.

Ride safe!

Dan

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Slight "hang up" on L. H. banked curves...
Reply #1 - 05/01/08 at 10:08:10

Check your wheel bearings, Head bearings and frame for straightness or cracks.

Since it's gradual, I suspect wheel bearings most.

WWW   IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #2 - 05/01/08 at 15:16:14

Also, look at the profile that is worn into your front tire.  I have seen some very triangulated wear (usually improper inflation - low) that can really affect handling especially when you inflate them to the proper level then.

WWW   IP Logged
Bear_Rider

Reply #3 - 05/01/08 at 15:53:36

It's a stretch, but how about the throttle cable? Sometimes after I work on the carb and reattach the throttle cables, my TW200 will change idle speed as you turn the handlebars back and forth.

IP Logged
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Reply #4 - 05/02/08 at 15:35:53

I appreciate the responses. You've given me an idea where to start looking. I'll probably check the bearings this weekend. The tire pressure was good and no apparent wear or damage to them or the wheels. The only cable issue I've found is a slight need for clutch cable adjustment, been meaning to get to that anyway. Just another excuse to spend some quality time with the metal mistress!  Roll Eyes

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
jk ex-member
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/02/08 at 16:12:02

Mine started feeling odd a few days ago- couldn't figure it out. Seemed to have some trouble cornering and the gyroscopic effect of the spinning wheel seemed to shift from left to right at times. And then today I figured out what it was... when the right front wheel bearing wiped at about 65-70mph.

Neat.

Nearly tore a hole in my new seat.

IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 05/02/08 at 19:31:24

hulonjk37 wrote on 05/02/08 at 16:12:02:
Mine started feeling odd a few days ago- couldn't figure it out. Seemed to have some trouble cornering and the gyroscopic effect of the spinning wheel seemed to shift from left to right at times. And then today I figured out what it was... when the right front wheel bearing wiped at about 65-70mph.

Neat.

Nearly tore a hole in my new seat.

Holy crap!   Shocked

I will have to keep an eye out for the wheel bearings.  I was not aware that they could fail so catastrophically without some serious warning signs!

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
ex-member jk
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05/02/08 at 20:05:56

Hopefully mine was an anomally.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 08:24:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Slight "hang up" on L. H. banked curves...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.