ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: racing cam
Reply #75 - 06/06/08 at 09:34:25

verslagen1 wrote on 06/05/08 at 15:06:58:
My analysis was gleamed from here...
http://www.zerofast.com/torque.htm

The requirement for the 75% stress factor is fatigue life.

Story goes, years ago, wheels used to pop off and roll off down the street by themselves cause they were tired of black cars and wanted to roll with color.  Well the owners of the black cars got pissed off and complained that tires were breaking the studs in 2 cause it couldn't be the color of the car.  The car mfg's looked at it and found that the tire would rest all it's weight on one stud to break them one at a time (someone must have told them the story of how to break a bundle of sticks).  So how do you keep the wheel from putting all its load on one stud?  You tightened them all down real tight so that the wheel has no room to move.

Ok, really... there's 2 types of stress, static and dynamic.  Static, there all the time and dynamic, moving, fluctuating, changing all the time.  Static failure in a bolt would be like a head twisting off from torquing it down.  Dynamic failure would be from snapping off while driving down the road.

This might give you a little insight as to why our head cover bolts twist off upon retorque.  The life of a bolt is acummilative.  You torque it down, it goes for 20 years bouncing up and down.  You twist it off without much effort.  Torquing it the 1st time takes a little life.  Bouncing up and down takes more.  Taking it off and putting it on just isn't in the picture. (excuse me I've got to go replace some bolts)   Grin

There...my civic duty is done Tongue

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #76 - 06/06/08 at 09:51:21

I just wondered is that racing cam made to do the 0-30 thing or 0-50?

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #77 - 06/07/08 at 08:56:56

i wanna see pics of the polished cases. i was gonna do mine, but got lazy and put it all back together after a quick inspection.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #78 - 06/07/08 at 09:08:39

bill67 wrote on 06/06/08 at 09:51:21:
 I just wondered is that racing cam made to do the 0-30 thing or 0-50?

More like the 15 - 70 thing.  Better hurry too 'cause it looks like Lancer is closing up shop (sadly, I say) :'(

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #79 - 06/07/08 at 10:42:09

The Supertrapp & jetting made a big difference in the acceleration. The cam went in & made about another third of the TRapp& Jetting difference, so, added up, they amount to a pretty good improvement. Looks like the heads gonna come off this winter, to see about solving the oil usage issue, so, while its on the bench, I will work the ports over. I was thinking I would just do valve seals, unless someone can tell me how to decide if its rings..it will hit 94 & I have a Dayton on, so its a bit taller than the stocker, so the engine isnt exactly sick. I expect a comp test would indicate good health, BUT, I need a way to do it, My tester wont thread into that hole..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 09:42:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › racing cam

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.