Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: racing cam
Reply #60 - 06/05/08 at 07:10:39

verslagen1 wrote on 06/04/08 at 17:01:37:
Savage_Greg wrote on 06/04/08 at 14:34:55:
You mean "pounds per foot" or lb/ft, right?  Kinda hard to do foot per pounds Tongue

Actually it's lb-ft. or force times distance.  Slang is ft-lbs.  But usually the force is varied and the distance is held constant.   Grin

I said something different?  Darned engineers think they know everything.
Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #61 - 06/05/08 at 07:46:32

Not everything, but we know our feet from a pound of... potato's

Grin

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #62 - 06/05/08 at 07:55:50

So, IF a guy takes an S.A.E. thread bolt & tightens it to 50 ' Pounds & then takes a different type of bolt, same diameter, but with 16 threads /inch & tightens it to 50 foot pounds, which will create the greater clamping force? I say the S.A.E. will create a much tighter "Squeeeeeze" for any given torque applied.

( Of course, I wouldnt want to get anything STarted,, ohhh NO, Not meeeee)

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #63 - 06/05/08 at 09:19:50

The only SAE bolt that fits your guidelines is a plain 3/8 Grade 8 bolt.
Available in UNC (16 tpi) and UNF (24 tpi).  Please note that both are SAE spec bolts.
Cross sections for each are .0775 and .0878 sq.in. respectively.
The torque to achieve the same yield strength factor is 47 and 54 ft-lbs respectively.

So if both bolts are tightened equally to 50 ft-lbs, the 3/8-16 will be over torqued and the 3/8-24 will be under torqued.  Adjusting for the difference in cross section gives a 13% drop in applied force.  Varience in torque is 6%.  I believe that gives the 3/8-24 a 1% advantage.

"Just the facts, maam" Sgt. Jack Webb.

WWW   IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #64 - 06/05/08 at 09:51:28

You guys amaze me.  I am definitely a "insert tab A in slot B" kind of guy.  It must be fun to actually understand all of this stuff.  I guess it helps not to be too bright, though.  I don't know what I'm missing most of the time. Smiley

While I do occasionally deem it appropriate to employ sesquipedalianistic tendencies in discourse, my grasp of the physical sciences is sadly deficient.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #65 - 06/05/08 at 09:57:45

yeah, what you said.   Huh

WWW   IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #66 - 06/05/08 at 12:01:47

Wink

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #67 - 06/05/08 at 13:56:39

verslagen1 wrote on 06/05/08 at 09:19:50:
The only SAE bolt that fits your guidelines is a plain 3/8 Grade 8 bolt.
Available in UNC (16 tpi) and UNF (24 tpi).  Please note that both are SAE spec bolts.
Cross sections for each are .0775 and .0878 sq.in. respectively.
The torque to achieve the same yield strength factor is 47 and 54 ft-lbs respectively.

So if both bolts are tightened equally to 50 ft-lbs, the 3/8-16 will be over torqued and the 3/8-24 will be under torqued.  Adjusting for the difference in cross section gives a 13% drop in applied force.  Varience in torque is 6%.  I believe that gives the 3/8-24 a 1% advantage.

"Just the facts, maam" Sgt. Jack Webb.

Okay,, let me try again,, since I couldnt even begin to grok all that without someone sitting down, teaching for hours & all that, The question I was getting at was, IF one bolt has more threads per inch than another, then if each is torqued to the same torque, doesnt the finer threaded bolt create higher clamping forces?

Now, if I have a bolt thats, as you say, Undertorqued, then is that a problem? Will it tend to get loose? Or, is it just an ineffient use of the bolt & a manufacturer would be better off using a different bolt in an application that shouldnt be clamped so hard?

I thought I could look at the threads & recognize SAE, as opposed to what I dunno, just thot SAE bolts had a finer pitch..duhh,

Clas is open,, teach away..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #68 - 06/05/08 at 14:03:10

ok - just-in-o wha have busted now ?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #69 - 06/05/08 at 14:18:06

I'll bite.

The finer threaded fastener CAN/COULD develop more clamping force at the same torque IF the grade of the fastener (mechanical stretch resistance of the fastener alias PSI/point count/hardness/strength) is greater than the coarser threaded fastener to support that extra tension.

The included incline plane of the thread is at a lower angle on a finer thread.

More to the point in the real world:  torqued fasteners should be untorqued, lubricated with appropriate lubes such that the torque applied by the torque wrench gets effectively turned into pure bolt "stretch" which we also refer to as clamping force.

An error is to take a corroded fastener such as a head acorn nut and apply an increase torque with a torque wrench starting from the fully tight and corroded condition.  Nothing is going to move, you just twist the long shanked stud around in a rotational fashion -- does a little damage to the stud's integrity but does nothing to increase clamping force on the head gasket.

First you break the acorn nut free, unscrew it, clean it up, put a little never-seize on the stud threads, put the nut back on then run it up to the specified torque with the torque wrench in one increasing movement.  

Now you got some increased clamping force compared to when you started out.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #70 - 06/05/08 at 14:24:20

Honest, I havent tore Nothin UP, No kiddin. In fact, all Ive done today is tie the tomato plants up some, till I get the cages & built me a string holder. I am building a Keyboard stand for the wife. She wants one that will let her sit down or stand up. I am using a pair of aluminum crutches for the stand, using a piece out of a drum set to allow them to adjust( The part that allows the drummer to set the angle of the drum. It will need some modification, but I think it will work) & I swiped the part that goes under the arms & stuck some copper tubes, heavy walled junk( they Were parts of the worlds UGGliest windchime someone built before we moved here) between them, so its about a foot long & the "Swoop" in them make winding string on easy enough. Did I mention I make stuff outta junk?  It keeps stuff outta the trash & keeps me from buying things AND,, It's fun.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #71 - 06/05/08 at 15:06:58

My analysis was gleamed from here...
http://www.zerofast.com/torque.htm

The requirement for the 75% stress factor is fatigue life.

Story goes, years ago, wheels used to pop off and roll off down the street by themselves cause they were tired of black cars and wanted to roll with color.  Well the owners of the black cars got pissed off and complained that tires were breaking the studs in 2 cause it couldn't be the color of the car.  The car mfg's looked at it and found that the tire would rest all it's weight on one stud to break them one at a time (someone must have told them the story of how to break a bundle of sticks).  So how do you keep the wheel from putting all its load on one stud?  You tightened them all down real tight so that the wheel has no room to move.

Ok, really... there's 2 types of stress, static and dynamic.  Static, there all the time and dynamic, moving, fluctuating, changing all the time.  Static failure in a bolt would be like a head twisting off from torquing it down.  Dynamic failure would be from snapping off while driving down the road.

This might give you a little insight as to why our head cover bolts twist off upon retorque.  The life of a bolt is acummilative.  You torque it down, it goes for 20 years bouncing up and down.  You twist it off without much effort.  Torquing it the 1st time takes a little life.  Bouncing up and down takes more.  Taking it off and putting it on just isn't in the picture. (excuse me I've got to go replace some bolts)   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #72 - 06/05/08 at 15:49:01

I just dont feel good enough right now to be "figuring", but since you seem to have a clue about stuff, wouldnt it be fair to say that IF we have equal bolts in all areas except thread pitch, it takes fewer foot pound of torque to get the 75% stretch load with the higher thread / inch bolt?

This is why I dont use antisieze on the valve cover bolts. I am still using the stock bolts & can see no sign of " I am about to give up" on any of them, tho I suspect I should get some real ones & stick in there, soon.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #73 - 06/06/08 at 09:22:55

Sandy Koocanusa wrote on 06/05/08 at 09:51:28:
...sesquipedalianistic...

Huh?  Do you talk like that all the time?  My "Hooked on Phonics" brain can't handle that one Grin

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #74 - 06/06/08 at 09:31:58

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/05/08 at 15:49:01:
I just dont feel good enough right now to be "figuring", but since you seem to have a clue about stuff, wouldnt it be fair to say that IF we have equal bolts in all areas except thread pitch, it takes fewer foot pound of torque to get the 75% stretch load with the higher thread / inch bolt?

This is why I dont use antisieze on the valve cover bolts. I am still using the stock bolts & can see no sign of " I am about to give up" on any of them, tho I suspect I should get some real ones & stick in there, soon.

Verslagy - he said "foot pounds"! Tongue

Justin - Just go by the manual.  Torque those bolts as "good book" says (5 - 8 lb/ft, I think).  It doesn't suggest using anti-seize on those bolts.

...oh, but it does suggest oil on the head nuts for a wet torque.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 13:38:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › racing cam

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.