Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: racing cam
Reply #45 - 05/24/08 at 09:00:57

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/23/08 at 10:00:31:
Greg, would running the thing till it was good & warm & using either ice or dry ice on the plug do any good? Would antisieze be applied next time?

Ideas yes.  Believe it or not we actually tried an ice pack on it the first time because his engine was still hot.  Antiseize might help, but those are some pretty loose threads anyway.  Just funny how you get it bottomed out but then give it just a tiny bit more torque, and it is seized.

There are 3 unfortunate issues here:

1. The plug is gonna be destroyed just to get it loose.
2. A new one is about $15.
3. I'm the one that tightened the @&*())*@ Thing  Angry

The good news is that Stinger says his valves sound just fine now Tongue

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #46 - 05/24/08 at 09:07:47

Greg, would running the thing till it was good & warm & using either ice or dry ice on the plug do any good? Would antisieze be applied next time?

I wonder how these things ever seize up as it's well oiled on the other side.  I replaced my o-ring last time.  Hope it's easier to get out the next.

WWW   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #47 - 05/24/08 at 13:34:01

don't know - but as easy as they do it think i'll start using a Quarter to tighten the things

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #48 - 05/24/08 at 20:02:16

before I got too vicious with it, I would have one guy put it in a bind & another take a piece of wood to keep from messing things up & a light hammer & tap around the perimeter while as much torque as could be put on it was on it. ( Grunting sounds indicate sufficient torque)

You guys have me worried. Ill be pulling mine tomorrow,,just to make sure I can.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #49 - 05/25/08 at 06:22:22

verslagen1 wrote on 05/24/08 at 09:07:47:

I wonder how these things ever seize up as it's well oiled on the other side.  I replaced my o-ring last time.  Hope it's easier to get out the next.

The trick is that last bit of grunt.  It's a habit to just tighten things sometimes, but with the plug you have to be reserved.  When the plug stops turning, just stop turning the plug.  If you give it that last little "snug" at the bottom you can have it like Stinger's.  Now, I guess we'll just wait until the whole cover needs to come off, and then work on it from the backside too.

Another complication to this problem is that while Stinger's bike was parked, he got bored and did stuff.  What did he do?  He put one heck of a really nice polishing job on his aluminum cases.  So now, not only does he have a really shiny plug (that's stuck), but I have to worry about using some kind of brute force and putting a deep scratch in all his hard work....

Tongue

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #50 - 05/25/08 at 08:02:51

Some of you metal workers will know this.  Could a guy weld a nut on that plug and polish it up pretty enough to look good?  Then next time, just throw a socket on it and twist it out of there.  Is there any reason it has to be that stupid huge slot, other than the flat, flush look?

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #51 - 05/25/08 at 08:11:23

Sandy Koocanusa wrote on 05/25/08 at 08:02:51:
Some of you metal workers will know this.  Could a guy weld a nut on that plug and polish it up pretty enough to look good?  Then next time, just throw a socket on it and twist it out of there.  Is there any reason it has to be that stupid huge slot, other than the flat, flush look?

I don't know if you can solidly weld cast aluminum...and you definitely can't weld steel to aluminum anyway.

I wonder why so many manufacturers use these slotted plugs anyway.

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #52 - 05/25/08 at 08:15:49

Another thought would be those square, ugly plugs that you terminate steel pipe runs with.  I've also seen them used as bungs in metal stock tanks.  It would not look good, but if you could get it threaded in there, it might come out easier.  I've been working up the nerve to check my valves, but at the moment, I'm afraid to tackle this plug.  Hopefully mine won't be as persnickety, at least on my first try.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #53 - 05/25/08 at 08:52:05

Here's a thought for you, don't weld.

find an appropriate sized pipe plug with a recessed square hole (you don't want protruding square biting your angle, besides it'll be alot easier to polish) have (or diy) the plug drilled and threaded for it.  Then red loctite the b'tard in there.  Leave it up just a bit and polish the hell out of it.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #54 - 05/25/08 at 09:41:00

OR...note to self: Don't add that last little grunt of torque!

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #55 - 05/25/08 at 09:55:43

and use a new o-ring each time so it doesn't seat so hard. Honda uses a internal hex in theirs but I've not found the correct thread yet. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #56 - 05/25/08 at 10:17:05

Max_Morley wrote on 05/25/08 at 09:55:43:
and use a new o-ring each time so it doesn't seat so hard. Honda uses a internal hex in theirs but I've not found the correct thread yet. Max

I know what you're saying, but all that I can say is "Yeah, right."  If I did that, I'd have a collection of them by now.

Of course, I could use that as my excuse, and blame Stinger for not getting a new o-ring (I like the sound of that)...Tongue

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #57 - 06/03/08 at 00:20:15

ok the new gaskets showed up today - going to open the right side again - and check this baby out top to bottom - might have let the cam chain get too tight - ordered in 4 clutch cover gskets and all new bolt gaskets for the head bolts - half dozen of the .003/.004 stick feelers and now I have the 1/4" torque wrench in my hands - goes down to 24"/lbs - was just now fooling with it seems to be right on at 60"/lbs(5ft/lbs) and 120"/lbs(10ft/lbs) - we be ready

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #58 - 06/04/08 at 14:34:55

You mean "pounds per foot" or lb/ft, right?  Kinda hard to do foot per pounds Tongue

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #59 - 06/04/08 at 17:01:37

Savage_Greg wrote on 06/04/08 at 14:34:55:
You mean "pounds per foot" or lb/ft, right?  Kinda hard to do foot per pounds Tongue

Actually it's lb-ft. or force times distance.  Slang is ft-lbs.  But usually the force is varied and the distance is held constant.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 13:39:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › racing cam

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.