Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: racing cam
Reply #30 - 05/22/08 at 06:44:56

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/21/08 at 23:51:22:
SO!!! If & since the gap increases when its hot, then why not have even LESS valve lash? Why not set them at .001? Would it hurt anything?

You could probably get it closer than that if you adjust them hot instead of cold  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #31 - 05/22/08 at 06:49:40

None of my fingers have an asbestos coating & the top of that engine is what I call"close quarters".

Why cant I do it cold & get it closer. IF the gap grows as the engine warms up, then as long as I leave ANY lash, cold, it cant ever hold the valve out of the seat,, Unless the seat moves or the valve suddenly wears & starts to squish into the seat?? I AM asking here..Why? Cuz, I want every bit I can get.

Has anyone gone in to adj. valves & discovered they had gotten tighter? What caused it?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #32 - 05/22/08 at 07:13:03

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/22/08 at 06:49:40:
None of my fingers have an asbestos coating & the top of that engine is what I call"close quarters".

Why cant I do it cold & get it closer. IF the gap grows as the engine warms up, then as long as I leave ANY lash, cold, it cant ever hold the valve out of the seat,, Unless the seat moves or the valve suddenly wears & starts to squish into the seat?? I AM asking here..Why? Cuz, I want every bit I can get.

Has anyone gone in to adj. valves & discovered they had gotten tighter? What caused it?

Justin, for whatever reason, you were pretty much right that the valves get quieter after the engine warms up.  Why that happens is up to a lot of speculation...and silly conversation, too.

However, don't ya reckon that discussing the idea of setting the valves at any gap that is not recommended by Suzuki is also a bit silly?  After all, why?  Everything has tolerances; from bearings to rings.  What's the point in discussing the possibility of tightening up the "valve lash gap" to .001" or less?  Who said that valve lash is a bad thing?

Besides, all that I know is that I set Stinger's valve lash to .005" just to reduce any wear on his new cam on startup.  And it's even possible that one or two may be around .006" anyway.  It involves more work that way, but then an expensive cam shaft deserves a little bit of extra attention too.  I'm sometimes kinda anal about things that way Tongue

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #33 - 05/22/08 at 08:28:34

When a machine does something & it is repeatable & predictable, I want to understand it. I just discovered that the valve stem length change after the engine is warmed up, is less than the amount the valve moves away from the cam due to the valve face widening & not sitting so deep in the seat. If you guys want to call it silly, you go for it. To me, its interesting & if I can come to understand it, then that would make me happy.

I'll bet that theres a ratio of vale stem length & valve face diameter that would hold the gap. When people "Get It" & the light goes on in their head, I believe it affects them in more than that one area.
Speculation? Isnt that considering the possibilities? Trying to understand something & have it dismissed as "just speculation" is really rude. If you dont want to entertain the subject, walk on by, but dont take a slap at me for my curiosity.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #34 - 05/22/08 at 09:09:45

There's quite a few factors to take into concideration.  Thermo growth of steel, of aluminum, geometry, how the cam floats in the bearings, etc.

You need a minimum of a .001" lash at all temperatures to guarranty the valve completely seating or you'll burn it up.

WWW   IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #35 - 05/22/08 at 14:44:45

verslagen1 wrote on 05/22/08 at 09:09:45:
There's quite a few factors to take into concideration.  Thermo growth of steel, of aluminum, geometry, how the cam floats in the bearings, etc.

You need a minimum of a .001" lash at all temperatures to guarranty the valve completely seating or you'll burn it up.

I'll second this. Cause you mess with the bull, you get the horns. Do not set those valves tighter than FACTORY specs or you WILL burn them (and the valve-seat). Then you'd wish you'd never messed with it (Hindsight=20/20). Thermal expansion gows the stem which make the clearance tighter and quiets the noise.  Wink

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #36 - 05/22/08 at 22:50:32

If normal I guess - seems the '02 might be lean enough for the gap to grow -

of course some folks believe the hot/cold stuff is only part of the story - yes you need the valves to seat all the way - but another part of proper valve adjustment with high performance cams is - one must consider the change in the ramp of the lobe - these cams have a more sudden opening so a shaper ramp as they use a more of the lobe for the higher lift and longer duration - a little more clearence reduces the shock this causes - good write up some place - I'll look for it - even has pictures if memory serves  

yes - here's a little reading:

http://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorcycle/text/cows-clear.html

of course there are many other topics to study and argue

http://www.motorcycleproject.com/index.html

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #37 - 05/23/08 at 07:25:07

I tried to copy & paste a small section from th4e "Sacred Cows" article.
Author states that the high [performance cams need more clearance, to take up the "shock", as Reel said. But, what doesnt work in MY mind, is.. well, If I was a lump, on a stick, & I was gonna run into something, it SEEMS like the impact would be a lot gentler, IF what I was gonna run into, was Close to me at th lowest part of my lump. Seems like, IF we opened the clearance UP to Maximum, plus a lot, so that the valve didnt open mure than .025 or so, then the cam would come flying around & BANG its nose on the lifter, but, IF I set the clearance tight, it seems the cam & lifter would work more smooooothy together.

SO, that is where MY thinking is stuck. I READ the article & I KNOW what they say, I Just dont get it. So, can anyone splain this in a manner that would Help me see it?
I accept that I am wrong, I just want to understand the mechanics that make it so.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #38 - 05/23/08 at 07:40:48

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/22/08 at 08:28:34:
When a machine does something & it is repeatable & predictable, I want to understand it. I just discovered that the valve stem length change after the engine is warmed up, is less than the amount the valve moves away from the cam due to the valve face widening & not sitting so deep in the seat. If you guys want to call it silly, you go for it. To me, its interesting & if I can come to understand it, then that would make me happy.

I'll bet that theres a ratio of vale stem length & valve face diameter that would hold the gap. When people "Get It" & the light goes on in their head, I believe it affects them in more than that one area.
Speculation? Isnt that considering the possibilities? Trying to understand something & have it dismissed as "just speculation" is really rude. If you dont want to entertain the subject, walk on by, but dont take a slap at me for my curiosity.

Sometimes, it's far better to just accept things as they are before you try to understand why they are that way.  Do we, after all, have any of the engineering data that Suzuki used in designing the engine?  No.  Therefore, I am fine with accepting that Suzuki set the specs at .003-.005" for the valve lash...which, if you work on lots of engines, as I do, you'll realize is a pretty common amount of clearance for any engine that does not have hydraulic lifters.  This holds true for a LS650 with nut/screw adjusters or a CB750 with bucket/shim adjustment.  Either way, there is a clearance, and the reason can be simply to allow sufficient lubrication between metal parts.

Of course, if you want to adjust them tighter at about .001", your challenge will be to find a .001" feeler gage.  Good luck Tongue

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #39 - 05/23/08 at 07:41:44

Went & read Mike Nixon's blast on degreeing, now I will read his other articles. Thanks Reelthing. That guy may have just started sumpthin here. We have these cams put in, BUt,, IIRC, the drive sprocket IS a solid little dude & maybe could be slotted, to make for the degreeing being possible. Once degreed, a new pin poked in in a spot not slotted? Gotta have that pin, dont we?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #40 - 05/23/08 at 07:46:19

vtail wrote on 05/22/08 at 14:44:45:
verslagen1 wrote on 05/22/08 at 09:09:45:

I'll second this. Cause you mess with the bull, you get the horns. Do not set those valves tighter than FACTORY specs or you WILL burn them (and the valve-seat). Then you'd wish you'd never messed with it (Hindsight=20/20). Thermal expansion gows the stem which make the clearance tighter and quiets the noise.  Wink

Yes, to both of you guys...

Personally my solution for valve clatter is a louder pipe.  Heck, I think that my speedo rattle is back, but I can barely hear it over the Raask exhaust anyway Tongue

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #41 - 05/23/08 at 07:59:09

Went over to Stinger's cave again yesterday Tongue

All his valves are now readjusted at .004"...some may have been as loose as .007"

Oh did I mention that his timing plug is stuck and will not turn with the standard tool or any amount of beating and turning?  There's a new chapter in this saga coming soon, but we did find a new way to rotate the engine to find TDC on the compression stroke......it's called the:

"Bike on Block, Watch the Valves, Feel the Piston, while rotating the Rear Wheel Technique".

Definitely more complex, but certainly doable in a pinch Tongue

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #42 - 05/23/08 at 08:06:48

So how much lash is there between the rear wheel and piston?

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #43 - 05/23/08 at 10:00:31

Greg, would running the thing till it was good & warm & using either ice or dry ice on the plug do any good? Would antisieze be applied next time?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #44 - 05/24/08 at 08:54:29

verslagen1 wrote on 05/23/08 at 08:06:48:
So how much lash is there between the rear wheel and piston?

About 4 feet plus/minus a foot, I think  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 11:31:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › racing cam

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.