Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: racing cam
Reply #15 - 05/19/08 at 12:58:31

Max_Morley wrote on 05/19/08 at 10:09:35:
Greg how do you like the new cam? Max

I like the improved mid range with the cam.  It feels like it is breathing a bunch better.  It's a little hard to tell, since I carved out the exhaust port and installed an OS piston, but I'm pleased with what I have now.

Stinger said about the same thing about his...but I still gotta go readjust his noisy valves(...since I cautiously set them loose when I installed the new cam...)

Did I mention?  Yesterday, I accidentally dumped the clutch and grabbed too much throttle when I was leaving a store, and the darned back tire broke loose on dry pavement.  When that happens while you are leaning over on the left, it is nothing short of inspirational Tongue

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #16 - 05/19/08 at 13:33:51

Savage_Greg wrote on 05/19/08 at 12:58:31:
Did I mention?  Yesterday, I accidentally dumped the clutch and grabbed too much throttle when I was leaving a store, and the darned back tire broke loose on dry pavement.  When that happens while you are leaning over on the left, it is nothing short of inspirational Tongue

Oooo, I hate when that happens, especially to a little thumper.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #17 - 05/19/08 at 14:32:24

The '02 with the new cam and near open 'trap is certainly a stronger running engine - I may be running the rpms up to far - need to move the tach from the '95 or just get another

I'm on my 3rd valve adjustment and they still get pretty loud after the engine is hot - might have something else not quite correct - may pull the head and case cover check over things - might have let the cam chain get too tight or let the cover sealant dry too much before it was torqued down

Did you folks find a need to change the mixture/jet either direction ?

I have not done so

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #18 - 05/19/08 at 15:39:57

Reelthing wrote on 05/19/08 at 14:32:24:
The '02 with the new cam and near open 'trap is certainly a stronger running engine - I may be running the rpms up to far - need to move the tach from the '95 or just get another

I'm on my 3rd valve adjustment and they still get pretty loud after the engine is hot - might have something else not quite correct - may pull the head and case cover check over things - might have let the cam chain get too tight or let the cover sealant dry too much before it was torqued down

Did you folks find a need to change the mixture/jet either direction ?

I have not done so    

Funny that you ask that...mine isn't quite right anymore either.  The idle speed drops a little below idle when suddenly closing the throttle and idle speed seems either too high or too low.  Last weekend, I had too much fun and just put up with the annoyance, but I do need to take a peek at things Tongue

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #19 - 05/19/08 at 15:41:06

verslagen1 wrote on 05/19/08 at 13:33:51:
Savage_Greg wrote on 05/19/08 at 12:58:31:

Oooo, I hate when that happens, especially to a little thumper.   Grin

It was a RUSH! Tongue

« Last Edit: 05/20/08 at 06:49:21 by Savage_Greg »  

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #20 - 05/19/08 at 21:07:19

Quote:
 Yesterday, I accidentally dumped the clutch and grabbed too much throttle when I was leaving a store, and the darned back tire broke loose on dry pavement.  When that happens while you are leaning over on the left, it is nothing short of inspirational Tongue

After an incident like that all it takes is a short stop at Sluggo's dumpster and things just calm right down...it is amazing how that works  
  Cheesy   Cool

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #21 - 05/19/08 at 22:02:53

The valves should be quieter when the engine is hot, since the gap is diminished with the longer valve stems.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #22 - 05/20/08 at 06:53:00

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/19/08 at 22:02:53:
The valves should be quieter when the engine is hot, since the gap is diminished with the longer valve stems.

Certainly.  Everything expands.  I intentionally set them loose, though.  Wanted to get Stinger's new cam rolling with a minimum of wear.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #23 - 05/20/08 at 06:54:34

LANCER wrote on 05/19/08 at 21:07:19:
Quote:
 Yesterday, I accidentally dumped the clutch and grabbed too much throttle when I was leaving a store, and the darned back tire broke loose on dry pavement.  When that happens while you are leaning over on the left, it is nothing short of inspirational Tongue

After an incident like that all it takes is a short stop at Sluggo's dumpster and things just calm right down...it is amazing how that works  
  Cheesy   Cool

It's funny how those dumpsters do that Tongue

IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #24 - 05/21/08 at 01:14:10

I hope they have a dumpster at the FSSNNC get together in Montana this June. Even a ride thru Glacier National park is a bummer without a good dumspter visit or two! I often plan my trips from dumpster to dumpster!
On to Lancers cam!....Was it worth the money invested  for the difference in performance? I think so, Im glad I bought it!  Not only did I  get a very professional looking cam back I also got 50 lbs of free packing peanuts(enough to make a pillow) that it was wrapped in!  If Lancers mechanical ability is half of what is packaging skills are, this guy has a future! Took me a half hour to find the cam!  Much more pull in the mid range now! Crank open the throttle and there is no lag, just solid acceration all the way into 5th gear. Where I  noticed the biggest difference was when I hit the throttle at 70 mph. It just got up and took off!  I was going 85 in nothing flat.  The cam does run smooth, altho you will notice a small difference from the stock cam.  My bike even sounds healthier to me now, deeper and throatier. Matches up pretty well with my supertrapp.  I havent enough miles on it yet to figure out how it has effected my gas milage,  but I cant imagine it would be much. Someone else in here compared the difference in performance between running a stock cam and Lancers cam. he felt the difference was comparable to that of riding a stock savage to riding one that has been rejetted and a aftermarket muffler installed. I agree!  Im glad I bought it! Thanks Lancer!
(by the way, these packing peanuts taste like crap!)

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #25 - 05/21/08 at 07:04:16

stinger wrote on 05/21/08 at 01:14:10:
I hope they have a dumpster at the FSSNNC get together in Montana this June. Even a ride thru Glacier National park is a bummer without a good dumspter visit or two! I often plan my trips from dumpster to dumpster!
On to Lancers cam!....Was it worth the money invested  for the difference in performance? I think so, Im glad I bought it!  Not only did I  get a very professional looking cam back I also got 50 lbs of free packing peanuts(enough to make a pillow) that it was wrapped in!  If Lancers mechanical ability is half of what is packaging skills are, this guy has a future! Took me a half hour to find the cam!  Much more pull in the mid range now! Crank open the throttle and there is no lag, just solid acceration all the way into 5th gear. Where I  noticed the biggest difference was when I hit the throttle at 70 mph. It just got up and took off!  I was going 85 in nothing flat.  The cam does run smooth, altho you will notice a small difference from the stock cam.  My bike even sounds healthier to me now, deeper and throatier. Matches up pretty well with my supertrapp.  I havent enough miles on it yet to figure out how it has effected my gas milage,  but I cant imagine it would be much. Someone else in here compared the difference in performance between running a stock cam and Lancers cam. he felt the difference was comparable to that of riding a stock savage to riding one that has been rejetted and a aftermarket muffler installed. I agree!  Im glad I bought it! Thanks Lancer!

I'm thinking that someone was just out by the dumpster before logging into the forum...

...after all, you should know that you ONLY eat the pink peanuts!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #26 - 05/21/08 at 09:39:22

Quote:

On to Lancers cam!...  Much more pull in the mid range now! Crank open the throttle and there is no lag, just solid acceration all the way into 5th gear. Where I  noticed the biggest difference was when I hit the throttle at 70 mph. It just got up and took off!  I was going 85 in nothing flat.  The cam does run smooth, although you will notice a small difference from the stock cam.  My bike even sounds healthier to me now, deeper and throatier. Matches up pretty well with my supertrapp.
 I'm glad I bought it! Thanks Lancer!

Ohhhh, it's like a proud papa watching his son ...  or sweet music to my ears  Cheesy

I appreciate the good report.  The Savage responds so well to the assorted upgrades, especially the Performance Camshaft.  Not only does it sound healthier &  feel healthier but it just makes a fun bike MORE FUN !

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #27 - 05/21/08 at 14:47:51

Alright! this could be as much fun as a motor oil or octane debate!

On a valve train like this one the gap widens as it gets hotter - the valve expands enough that it will no longer go into the seat as far this causes the gap to expand

On valve trains with push rods and solid lifters the gap shrinks as it gets hotter as the push rod lengthens enough to over ride any valve stem heigth reduction

Hey honestly pop'd a wheelie on the '02 yesterday leaving a stop sign Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #28 - 05/21/08 at 23:51:22

On a valve train like this one the gap widens as it gets hotter - the valve expands enough that it will no longer go into the seat as far this causes the gap to expand

Wowzaas! I had never considered the valve face diameter increasing due to the same heat that causes the valve stem to get longer. I can see how that could happen.

SO!!! If & since the gap increases when its hot, then why not have even LESS valve lash? Why not set them at .001? Would it hurt anything?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #29 - 05/22/08 at 06:41:05

Reelthing wrote on 05/21/08 at 14:47:51:

Alright! this could be as much fun as a motor oil or octane debate!

On valve trains with push rods and solid lifters the gap shrinks as it gets hotter as the push rod lengthens enough to over ride any valve stem heigth reduction

Hey honestly pop'd a wheelie on the '02 yesterday leaving a stop sign Smiley

Oh, but let's remember that the rocker arms get longer, the adjuster screws get longer, the camshaft gets fatter, the head gets bigger, the cylinder gets longer, the cam chain gets looser, the primary gears get fatter, the crankshaft grows bigger and the connecting rods become longer....plus the cases get wider, the drive pulleys get bigger and the drive belt gets longer...and eventually the whole bike is huge...

...that explains why you were able to pop a wheelie too Tongue

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 11:28:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › racing cam

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.