Send Topic Print
racing cam (Read 885 times)
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

racing cam
04/30/08 at 00:19:42

Wa hooo!!  Lancers racing cam came in the mail yesterday  Looks like Ill be riding for the first time this year by the end of the day!  Web Cam did a very nice job on the cam. Not hard to tell it was a professional job.  I hope with rejetting, a supertrapp exhaust, K@N air filter, and now  the new cam,  Im hoping  to see some increase in performance.  Greg D is coming over this morning to install it while I put the rest of my bike back together.
New cam chain too!  34,000 on the original and it was still only 19 out after Greg checked it at 30,000. Hadn't moved. Seriously think I could have ridden 50,000 before replacing.  Also found out I was running the original infamous leaking head plug and was amazed in all that time it had not leaked a drop. Gonna install a new one anyway. We put new rear brake pads on, and there is still alot of wear after 34,000 on the originals. Maybe only half worn.  New header pipe, and polished all my casings till they shined like chrome.  Bought Gregs old rear wheel belt sprocket and am taking it in to be chromed. Gonna have Greg post a pic.
By the way, Web Cam  states that you should not use any type of synthetic oil in your bike at all. They say use a good petrolium based motor oil. 30 wt.

thanks lancer for the quick delivery!  Next purchase is your carb!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: racing cam
Reply #1 - 04/30/08 at 01:52:30

I hope you thought to soak the cam chain a few hours, so all the pins & plates will be oiled nicely. Maybe the manufacturer has them slicked up enough, but the oil system seems like its slow to get the chain good & wet, so I like to soak the thing before it gets installed. May make exactly zero difference, I dunno,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Reply #2 - 04/30/08 at 02:17:36

stinger wrote on 04/30/08 at 00:19:42:
By the way, Web Cam  states that you should not use any type of synthetic oil in your bike at all. They say use a good petrolium based motor oil. 30 wt.
Well, thankfully they're more knowledgeable about cam profiles than they are about tribology.

You'd want to use a traditional mineral oil like that for bedding in a new cam, but if their advice was to avoid synthetic altogether, they need to go back to school and learn about lubrication because they are totally, utterly wrong, and clearly do not understand oil in engineering terms.

Sadly, there are plenty of people even in the motor industry who suffer ignorance on the subject of lubrication and base their opinions on old wives' tales about oil.  

Ignore them, they're wrong.  Bed your new cam in with a traditional mineral oil for a couple of hundred miles, or longer if you like, then switch to a full synthetic like Mobil 15W50, and your engine will last twice as long.  

I base that advice on fact and experience from working a few years in the oil industry in industrial/automotive lubrication, seeing hundreds of test engines run on synthetics vs mineral, and seeing the results with my own eyes when those engines are stripped for inspection – the difference in wear is just staggering.  
I despair every time I hear about people who should know better giving out dumb, ill-informed advice to the market end-users.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 04/30/08 at 05:34:26

That is remarkable isn't it ?  Synthetic is so freaking good.   Of course the other side of the coin is that the oil, any oil, MUST be kept clean and that is where the filtering system is so important.  That is the reason I really want to add and accessory oil filter to the system and include a cooler as well.  Keep it cool and clean, more total oil for the system and keep the grit that grinds the parts down out of the system.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 04/30/08 at 07:01:48

LANCER wrote on 04/30/08 at 05:34:26:
That is remarkable isn't it ?  Synthetic is so freaking good.   Of course the other side of the coin is that the oil, any oil, MUST be kept clean and that is where the filtering system is so important.  That is the reason I really want to add and accessory oil filter to the system and include a cooler as well.  Keep it cool and clean, more total oil for the system and keep the grit that grinds the parts down out of the system.

Once again, the oil conversation is about like one's choice of toothpaste Grin

I am braking in my new piston and rings with regular old dino fluid.  Then I'm going to give some Mobil 1 Motorcycle oil a try.

Well, it won't be long 'til I go over and screw with Stinger's bike Tongue

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #5 - 04/30/08 at 09:02:34

FWIW= I've read some auto trade journal articles about some of the new economy rated oils and I think that is why WEBER makes their point. It seems with the old style crowned bottom lifters, there were some concerns over cam/lifter base scuffing vs the roller style lifters that are found most of the new style pushrod engines. Seems it wasn't a concern on OHC units and they did not have a rationale for that. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #6 - 04/30/08 at 09:34:58

I second Kwaknut's position, having used synth-oil since 1976 on everething I ride or drive. Only time I use Dino-oil is during break-in to purposely create extra friction for bedding-in Wink

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 05/01/08 at 08:54:01

vtail wrote on 04/30/08 at 09:34:58:
I second Kwaknut's position, having used synth-oil since 1976 on everething I ride or drive. Only time I use Dino-oil is during break-in to purposely create extra friction for bedding-in Wink

Well, I second Vtail's position too Tongue

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 05/12/08 at 04:46:34

And so, here we are...finally got Stinger's bike ALMOST back together yesterday.

We're still wondering where one missing engine bolt went, and still curious about where an extra bolt is supposed to go...but aside from that the bike is nearly ready to go.

Been a process Tongue

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #9 - 05/12/08 at 18:40:14

My brother-in-law had that happen once.  He found the missing bolt when he started the engine.  It was sitting on top of one of the pistons.  (Things that make you go "hmmmm...")

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 05/13/08 at 05:25:25

Sandy Koocanusa wrote on 05/12/08 at 18:40:14:
My brother-in-law had that happen once.  He found the missing bolt when he started the engine.  It was sitting on top of one of the pistons.  (Things that make you go "hmmmm...")

Yeah.  If that happens, it'll make me go #@&++**#@!!!

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #11 - 05/13/08 at 12:28:55

The mobil 1 you guys are talking about is it regular mobil 1 or is it mobil 1 for motor cycles?

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #12 - 05/13/08 at 13:23:07

mick wrote on 05/13/08 at 12:28:55:
The mobil 1 you guys are talking about is it regular mobil 1 or is it mobil 1 for motor cycles?

Mobil 1 for motorcycles.  I made the mistake of using the stuff for autos several years ago.  Worked pretty good if you don't mind that your clutch won't want to actually engage  Shocked

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #13 - 05/19/08 at 07:18:21

So where's Stinger?  Here we are at his house on Saturday, but he's out riding Tongue

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #14 - 05/19/08 at 10:09:35

Greg how do you like the new cam? Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 09:28:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › racing cam

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.