Send Topic Print
My latest discovery (Read 168 times)
longmi01
YaBB Newbies

Des Moines, IA
My latest discovery
04/29/08 at 19:21:29

Hey all,
I've been riding my Savage since September (and yes, all through the winter here in IA), and I've found that my plug has gotten more fouled than I would like or expect for the setup I have.  I have a dyna muff, 1/2 spacer, and a 152.5 main, and through the winter I changed the plug twice.  Each time I did it, it looked a little dark for me.  I just thought it was cause I'd been riding with the enricher a little more cause of the cold, and I thought it would change with the warmer weather.  

But of course not!  There always has to be something wrong Cheesy

So I pulled my plug today, and it was pretty dark, as usual.  But luckily, i still haven't found out how to get the thing out without taking the tank off yet (doing the little spark plug door thing with the chrome cover still doesn't allow a straight shot to the plug), so I had to disconnect the fuel and vacuum line.  Guess what I found!  Gas in the vacuum line!  No, not a lot.  Just some wetness that was distinctly gasoline, but nothing severe.  I don't think my petcock diaphragm has gone out completely, but it sure seems to be on the way out.

Anyway, with this discovery, I have diagnosed my over-rich running problem, and I have decided to just block off the vacuum line and run on PRI until I can do the petcock mod.

Question for you folks:  where can you find the little rubber caps for blocking the vacuum line connections?  I went to the hardware store today, and the guy helping me was absolutely clueless as to what I was talking about, so I ended up not getting anything.

IP Logged
Kix
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southeast US
Re: My latest discovery
Reply #1 - 04/29/08 at 19:33:49

Go to an auto supply store like Autozone.  Look in the section that has lots of "blister pack" stuff like window cranks, rubber parts, etc.  Teh name on the packages usually is "HELP!".   They will be in that section.    KIX

KIX '98 Savage with Jardine
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/29/08 at 19:55:09

I never liked those rubber vacuum blocking caps.  They dry out and crack, leak, and fall off with age.  I use a tight fitting machine screw.  I coat it with Permatex sealant, and thread it into the vacuum hose.  That will last for years.  
I changed my petcock to manual as per the instructions on this site, and instead of putting a rubber cap on the diaphragm tube on the housing, I took a short sheet metal screw, heavily coated it with JB Weld, and screwed it into the housing tube.  Once the diaphragm is cut, the housing can fill up with gas and a rubber vacuum cap is not much protection against fuel leakage.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #3 - 04/29/08 at 20:40:46

longmi01 wrote on 04/29/08 at 19:21:29:
 Guess what I found!  Gas in the vacuum line!

Good on you! however you choose to fix it at least you found a problem before it turned into a disaster!!

Wish more folks would check that hose like you did before it fails enough to total your engine -

of course I hear people every day driving their cars until the brakes scream from the wear squeeeeeeeeelers - what do they do if the little screeeeeeeech metal fell off - cut the rotor in half I guess?

and why do people wait until their battery fails before replacement- they don't wait until the power company turns off the juice before they pay the bill .....

back to the cave I go ....  

IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #4 - 04/30/08 at 02:13:08

ouch!.......Reelthing...........you stepped on my foot.......I know it is dark in this cave but come on..........use a light every now and then! Grin

Because I can!
  IP Logged
longmi01
YaBB Newbies

Des Moines, IA
Reply #5 - 04/30/08 at 07:02:03

Thanks guys.  Gort, I do like the idea of putting a sheet metal screw in for more permanence.  I think I'll do that.  Maybe it'll make it look a little cleaner too.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:21:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My latest discovery

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.