Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Finally won Road King tank (Read 1432 times)
rpgpgmr

Huntington, WV
Re: Finally won Road King tank
Reply #30 - 05/12/08 at 12:45:01

I'm watching a few on ebay.  The more I hear, the more I want to buy one.  I will wait until your project is complete first though.  A Savage with a range of over 300 miles ... didn't think it was possible until now.

2005 Suzuki Boulevard S40
2007 Yamaha V-Star Classic
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #31 - 05/12/08 at 13:45:20

It will be awhile before the tank project is complete. Have to wait untill I get some more extra money before I can get the petcock and gas caps. Once I get those I will mount the tank on the FireLizard. With full pics (better pics than I posted) and instructions.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
rpgpgmr

Huntington, WV
Reply #32 - 05/12/08 at 19:26:56

Yea, I'm in no hurry.  I've done A LOT to my bike in the past few months and my wallet is feeling it!  Will be later this summer before I'm ready to even think about the Road King tank.  It is definitely on my list though!

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #33 - 05/12/08 at 19:39:20

Here is some better pics.

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #34 - 05/12/08 at 19:58:37

Great project.

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #35 - 05/12/08 at 22:45:06

Your Road King tank sits a lot lower on the frame than my SoftTail does. I envy you the lower seat. Mine was $50.00 as an insurance repair swap-out from Harley though so I can't complain.

The petc0ck and filter is probably the cheapest part you'll ever get to buy from them. Make sure you ask for a vacuum one as they do both gravity and the sucker kind like we use. They have a nice OFF setting between the fuel and the reserve setting and a big ol' lever to do it with. Easy to find too when she starts to sputter after those 300+ mile runs.

For the spacers for the bolt through the front mounting flanges I used a roll of washers wrapped in black electrical tape on each side. You just put on as many washers as you need and once you know the number you just wrap about six layers of that nice stretchy plastic electrical tape on 'em. Mine have been out in the weather for two seasons and over 11,000 miles with nary a problem. No tape peel at all.

You may find that, like me, you'll need to re-route some of your wiring under the tank. I also had to move the compression starting solenoid, horn and electronic module that's on the end of the spark plug wire. And I took the chrome off the top of the engine for the extra clearance
and so there wouldn't be any more heat than need be close to the tank. Gasoline expands a lot and nothing feels quite as nice as a gas soaked thigh when the vented gas cap starts to spray you. So don't try to get every gallon in there that it'll hold. Don't ask.

I noticed on your first pictures that you too have a little metal tube coming down on the bottom front of your tank. Make sure you block it on the outside, I used a short rubber fuel line clamped on it to fit with a short bolt clamped into the other end. Harley runs their fuel gauge and/or speedo cable through the tank near as I can figure and gas will pour out of there. Again, don't ask.

As for filling that big hole in the middle, I fond a clock that fit perfectly in there on mine (different size hole), but the vibration kept making the hands fall off inside it. So I ended up filling it with a gas proof filler you mix 'cause the hole in mine was open into the tank. I just put a plate in there about an inch down form the lip and then filled it in. If yours doesn't have a gas problem you could just use bondo if you're going to paint it. Sand it down and spray away. If you go the powder coat route as I did you'll need something that can take the heat of the process. I forget the name of what I used but it's available at WalMart, lots of hardware stores and auto parts stores.

Until you get the gas caps you want you can do a cheapo thing in the mean time. I went to an auto parts store and got a screw in locking cap for a car that fit the right side of the tank. It's basic black and looks pretty good on my yellow tank. The right side hole on mine was for a gas gauge and had a bigger, left hand thread so I just used the filler to permanently mount another cap that matched the first one. Both caps together were around $15.00. I won't be changing mine 'cause I like the look okay and I'll never be going for the "bike beautiful" look. I use my bike hard so dings, dents, etc. are going to be a major part of it's life.

Jack

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #36 - 05/13/08 at 06:22:37

I noticed on the left side hole, that there is a metal tube that runs all the way through the tank from top of hole, to through the bottom of the tank, it is solid and has no holes/whatever making it look like that no gas goes through there and no way for gas to come out through that tube. But I plan on either getting the OEM Road King fuel gauge, or plugging it up like you did your Softail tank just to be on the safe side.

The center hole I have made a plate/cap out of 1/8 inch aluminum that I will be attaching to the hole to plug it up. (wore out my arms yesterday with all the filing to get the size right)

The space between the back bone and the tunnel sides of the tank actually seems considerable enough that I just may not have to re-route wires, but will definitely keep that in mind anyway.

Already had planned to get a Harley vac operated petcock. Unfortunately, the gas caps are apparently the pop in type, not the screw in type. (no threads in gas cap hole)

By the way, unlike your Softail tank, I do not have the fuel cross over holes that you you have. I only have the petcock hole and that tube you mentioned.

IP Logged
rpgpgmr

Huntington, WV
Reply #37 - 05/13/08 at 06:30:20

This is probably going to be a stupid question, but you guys should expect that from me by now.  Tongue  Was that big center hole in the Road King tank used for the speedo?  If so, couldn't an OEM speedo be dropped in there?  I know it's a "Harley" part so it's probably VERY expensive, I was just wondering.

IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #38 - 05/13/08 at 07:30:56

Does your Road King tank have two fuel filler caps? The SoftTail tank only has one, hence the pesky crossover that ends up in front of the front of the Sav frame. I ended up using two inline cut of valves and some fuel line to go around the front. That way, when I need to take off the tank, I can shut of both valves and disconnect one side of the gas line from one of the valves. Only a few drops of gas leaks out. Might not be the best solution, but the easiest and cheapest I came up with.

When you go to drill that hole for the front tank mount through the sheet metal triangle bracing near the front of the frame, it's two sheets of fairly soft steel. The problem is is that there's a thick extra piece of metal in between there somewhere. I think I remember that I used one of the horn mount holes as a starting point when I did mine and had no trouble. But when I decided I wanted to move it a bit higher that's when I hit something else in there that did not want to give up to the drill bit. I ended up just going with the original hole and moved something else instead.

I had to move the spark plug wire electronic module and the vacuum compression solenoid because the way and the where that they mount to frame made it impossible to get the tank down close to/around the frame because my tank's center channel is a bit narrower than the stock tank slot.

Jack

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #39 - 05/13/08 at 09:34:02

No, the Road King tank has only one filler hole.

Yes, I believe the center hole is for the original Harley speedo and instrument panel.  

Oh, just to clarify, the tank is 2008 Harley Road King tank. Just wanted to let ya'll know what year it was.

IP Logged
rpgpgmr

Huntington, WV
Reply #40 - 05/13/08 at 11:52:35

Went to bikebandit and it looks like (based on 2002 since that's the latest year they carry) it's gonna be about $400+ for everything to fill those holes.  That ain't happenin' so I guess we'll have to call that Plan B. ha

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #41 - 05/13/08 at 12:20:19

Before you scrap plan A, I just got back from the Harley shop. (parts guy there knows his stuff)

Harley fuel gauge will not work, the wiring harness is too weirded out compared to our relatively simple one. So, just do what Jack did and find a clock or something to fill the gauge hole. By the way, no gas ever comes through the gauge hole, no extraneous sealing required. That tube is for wires only. The gauge sending unit is actually connected to the fuel pump for fuel injection.

Speaking of fuel injection, found out the real differance between carb and injected tank. Injected tank the hole that looks like it goes for the petcock is actually to plug a fuel line directly into. However, Harley does have an adapter to allow use of a petcock through that hole. Also, according to the Harley shop, a vac petcock is dang near 200.00bucks while a standard on/off/reserve is 20.00bucks. No problem, just seal vac nipple at carb.

I made a plate/cap to cover center hole in tank out of 1/8in aluminum that I will bolt over it with a gasket and small o-rings under the screws. That will insure no gas leaks.

And finally, my Suzuki stealership can still get the tach cable for a GT250 for 20.00bucks, so speedo relocation will be easy.

I just need to get a tap so I can create threads to bolt the aluminum cap into place.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #42 - 05/13/08 at 12:25:19

Max who is a cetified senior and has his moments seems to remember that the tach cable that fit came off and 850 not 250. Hopefully someone who has less CRS than me can let all who are following this know. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #43 - 05/13/08 at 12:31:33

You're right, the thread I got the info from said 750, oh well, it's not like I have already ordered it. But since they can get the 250, they should be able to get the 750 as well. Thanks for the clarification Max.

IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reply #44 - 05/13/08 at 17:06:31

I am watching this with baited breath...

Last fall when I took my Savage to Dallas, I had two big complaints:  the seat and the small gas tank.  I have since ameliorated the seat problem.  Now I am looking for a solution to the tank problem.

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 16:17:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Finally won Road King tank

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.