Hey all! (Read 198 times)
Dice
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hey all!
04/28/08 at 18:46:49

Hey all,
I just bought a 96 savage and I'm new to this whole thing....I'm looking for a few things I guess. First I was wondering if you can adjust the handlebars for a more comfortable ride. Second I like the engine guard with the foot pegs...is that easy to do being that I'm okay with tools???? As soon as I get going alittle I'll post some pictures of my bike...can't wait to get riding....

IP Logged
joebothehobo

Ride like a ghost.

Los Angeles, CA
Re: Hey all!
Reply #1 - 04/28/08 at 22:48:44

If you have the buckhorn bars, which are stock with a 96, then all you need is the right size allen wrench to loosen the clamps that hold the bars onto the triple-tree. You can adjust the bars forward and back, though you might want to adjust the mirrors and levers after youre done just to make sure theyre still comfortable too.

'91 Suzuki GS500E
'98 Subaru Outback.
Robertomoe is my bro.
  IP Logged
Dice
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/29/08 at 09:02:48

Thanks Joe

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 04/29/08 at 09:09:40

Congrats on the new bike, how many miles?  Where are you at?  We're always looking for new people to wrench/ride with.

WWW   IP Logged
Dice
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/29/08 at 14:06:04

I'm in New York near Albany, and it has just over 9000 miles on it. I had a Katana about 8 years ago and now that I'm older I'm a bit wiser and wanted something to cruise on. I'm sure I'll be on here asking many o question to you guys.

IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #5 - 04/29/08 at 16:14:22

Welcome Dice.  I just got a 95 in Jan.  I have learned a lot from this group...and have been doing a bit o' wrenching myself....

Welcome Aboard...please take your seat...we will leaving momentarily!

Grin

Because I can!
  IP Logged
Jimmer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NewportPa.
Reply #6 - 04/29/08 at 16:27:39

WELCOME DICE

You will have great times with your bike. Don't be afraid to ask plenty of questions. The people on this site are here for all of us new riders. Just from personal experience they take care of you, now you are part of the SAVAGE Nation. Ride PROUD, Ride STRONG, and Ride SAFE. Glad you are here.

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #7 - 04/29/08 at 16:58:34

Hey Dice (and other newbs...) I've done a lot of experimenting with many different handlebars on the Savage, and I absolutely detest the factory buckhorn bars worse than anything else I've tried.

Funny to it seems, because my old Yamaha "Specials" back in the late 70s to early 80s had similar shaped bars and the bars didn't bother me on those bikes... but they ran a lot less rake than the Savage. I recommend getting just about anything else. Drags on risers; Beach bars; just wide plain bars... whatever it is is just about bound to be an improvement.

Here's three types of bars I have installed on Savages at the moment, and I'd take any one of them over the buckhorn bars in a heartbeat:

Oh... and one last piece of advice: ALWAYS cover the tank with a good thick towel when working on the bars/controls. You WILL drop your tools and scratch or dent the tank otherwise!

Ehhh... One more thing, I just recently noticed that JCW has added to their line of handlebars that will fit the Savage, and the prices aren't that bad on most of them.

Have fun!  Grin

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #8 - 04/29/08 at 21:22:14

welcome!

one other tip - if you working on the bike at all - cover the blackhole or any thing you drop will somehow get in there

IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #9 - 04/30/08 at 02:09:35

And NEVER...never, never put a wooden dowel in the spark plug hole to check for TDC...

Did I say NEVER?

oh...and don't ask! Wink

Because I can!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 12:31:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Hey all!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.