Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Oil seepage from External Gearshift Mechanism (Read 89 times)
cybofax
YaBB Newbies

Manchester - UK
Oil seepage from External Gearshift Mechanism
04/28/08 at 14:34:34

Hi Guys,
It's been a while but I've put the engine back in after repairing some stripped threads.  However, even though I  obtained a full gasket set and have replaced most of the gaskets and "O" rings, the one gasket I never replaced was the one around the external Gearshift mechanism (as shown on page 166 of Mr Clymers excellent document - picture 6) - foolishly thinking it was OK.  
It is seeping oil.  :'(
I would like to replace the gasket, however page 167 states that the removal of this mechanism requires the engine to be removed.
The question I have is that I just want to replace the gasket - not the mechanism - does anybody know whether this can be accomplished without removing the engine?  It does seem that it is possible - the only thing obviously in the way is the alternator lead?

'88 stock-ish
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: Oil seepage from External Gearshift Mechanism
Reply #1 - 04/29/08 at 10:19:32

Here's a link to Ron-Ayers microfische.  There is a seal on the cover, part #30 or 33.  

The gear shift cover just bolts on, but...... I can't remember if the cover will hit the frame when trying to remove it.  

Click:
Gear Shifter

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
cybofax
YaBB Newbies

Manchester - UK
Re: Oil seepage from External Gearshift Mechanism
Reply #2 - 05/04/08 at 03:15:50

OK TMack 1 - thanks for the reply - I have the gasket - I'll wait until the next oil change and see if it can be done in situ and post the reply in case anyone else has this issue

'88 stock-ish
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 00:28:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil seepage from External Gearshift Mechanism

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.