Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Handle Bars Full (Read 147 times)
KWKaletta

The Savage Cycle

Zanesville, IN
Handle Bars Full
04/26/08 at 17:59:27

It looks like someone shoved a piece of bar steel in the handle bars, I guess to keep down on the vibration.  Is this normal? The other bike has something in the handle bars too. I wanted to put vibration dampeners on mainly because they looked good and the grip cap keeps coming off. The guy at the dealer thought that it was wierd I figured I would ask the experts... Shocked

Impossible - A word for the doing of which has not yet been learned.
  IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Re: Handle Bars Full
Reply #1 - 04/26/08 at 18:01:59

Every Suzuki bar I have ever seen has been filled.  Even the one on my '82 GS850.  A buddy of mines dad has a '78 GS1000 and it has the bars filled.  I think it is something Suzuki does to help keep vibration down.

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Reply #2 - 04/28/08 at 02:47:14

It is indeed - customs tend to have the bars filled, while sports bikes usually have bar weights screwed into the end of the bar.  
Either way, the extra mass damps out resonant frequency problems which could otherwise be bad enough to give you whitefinger on long rides.

Some people do stuff a chunk of metal bar into the tube, but a better tip is to take a pack of little fishing line lead weights, mix them with epoxy resin glue and spoon the mix into the bar end - works a treat.  

You can do the same with weights mixed in hot candle wax if you want to experiment with different weights, and to be honest it will stay in as a permanent fix.

If you have the bars off, plug the tube ends to a depth of an inch or two, and just pour in molten lead - you can melt a tin of cheap BB gun pellets in a saucepan to do the job.  Just 2 tips – don’t inhale lead fumes, and don't let the wife catch you doing that with her saucepan.

I think the Savage would look better done with internal bar weight and standard grip caps than with external bar end weights.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 05/01/08 at 17:19:03

Yeah, the stock Savage bars have steel weights up inside them.  I filled my aftermarket drag bars with BBs and epoxied the ends to keep them in.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 14:30:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Handle Bars Full

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.